International hotel chain plans to open new Jamaica hotels in 2012
During the Caribbean Marketplace event, leading hotel chain Choice Hotels announced plans to open up new Jamaica hotels in 2012. In addition to Jamaica, the Choice group also have announced that they will increase their presence in other Caribbean islands
During the Caribbean Marketplace event hosted by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) in the Bahamas, leading international hotel chain Choice Hotels International announced plans to expand its business in key Caribbean holiday destinations including Aruba, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago and the United States Virgin Islands.
While these markets form part of Choice Hotels’ long term strategy, spokespeople for the group have stated that opening new Jamaica hotels in 2012 are part of the company's more immediate plans. Bill Clegg Regional Vice President for Brand Performance and Programs of Choice Hotels International, pegged Jamaica as one of their top five target markets in 2012 in a nod to the growing popularity of Jamaica holidays. “We are very keen on re-establishing our presence in Jamaica and driving more business to an already robust tourism destination within the region” noted Mr Clegg.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
While the Choice Hotels Group is keen to launch its economy and midscale brands to offer affordable Caribbean hotels it is now most excited at the prospect of launching its luxury brand: the Ascend Collection. Choice Hotels provides the opportunity for historic, boutique or otherwise distinctive independent Jamaica hotels to be part of the of the luxury Ascend Collection brand through its membership programme. Jose Salvador Icaza, the Caribbean Franchise Development Director for Choice Hotels International stated the following of the membership programme, “Hotel members benefit from our powerful marketing and reservations systems, education and training, and are given the tools to strengthen their commitment to service excellence… We're excited about Ascend and hope to bring Jamaica online in the near future”.
Choice Hotel’s eagerness to launch in Jamaica is part of a growing trend of hotel groups seeking to gain a foothold in the Caribbean island as it continues to prove itself as one of the leading Caribbean holiday destinations. Many people anticipate that the upcoming 2012 Olympic Games will thrust the island further into the spotlight with high hopes of another dominating performance from track and field star Usain Bolt as well as other top performing Jamaican athletes.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Tourism officials in Jamaica have acknowledged the 2012 Games as a key marketing opportunity that can lead to a substantial increase in the number of people booking holidays in Jamaica. Minister of Tourism and Entertainment Dr. Wykeham McNeill noted that the island’s sports personalities would be key in building the island’s tourism brand and marketing Jamaica holidays to travellers from key international source markets.
“In 2009 you experienced the fever Bolt crated at the 12th IAAF World Championships in Berlin. Well it’s only gotten bigger because Bolt was adding to Jamaica’s past Olympians and world record holders. …Today the list goes on and on with Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake and Veronica Campbell-Brown”, Dr Wykeham said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...