The Dominican Republic cements its position as the leading Caribbean holiday destination in 2012
The number of travellers who enjoyed Dominican Republic holidays in the first two months of 2012 has grown by five per cent in comparison to the same period in 2011 indicating a strengthening of the island's position as a leading holiday destination.
Julio Libre, head of The Association of Hotels and Tourism of the Dominican Republic (ASONAHORES), has announced that during the period January-February 2012 there was a five per cent increase in the number of travellers who enjoyed Dominican Republic holidays when compared to the same period in 2011. Mr Libre attributes the growth to the heavy investments made by the Dominican Republic’s government in infrastructure projects such as improving the nation’s roads.
In addition to government investment, tourism officials in the Dominican Republic have been working hard to promote Dominican Republic holidays with sales increasing from 24 per cent in 1998 to 53 per cent this year according to Julio Libre and Arturo Villanueva, the executive vice president of ANSAHORES.
The announcement came during a ceremony held to promote the upcoming Dominican Annual Tourism Exchange (DATE) 2012, an event “created to provide a professionally organized business exchange where International Wholesalers, Tour Operators, Incentive Groups, Airlines, and Charters Operators (Buyers) can meet and conduct business with the Dominican Republic's leading tourism suppliers”.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
With beautiful destinations like Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and the Samana Peninsula holidaymakers have a wide range of choices when it comes to planning holidays to the Dominican Republic with something to suit every taste. Expectedly, the Caribbean island is best known for its warm climate and pristine beaches at locations like Punta Cana, making it the ideal place for a romantic Caribbean getaway for two or even a fun filled family holiday.
Many Dominican Republic hotels and resorts in Punta Cana offer amazing all inclusive deals many of which are family friendly with programmes that will ensure that both the children and the parents have a holiday to remember. Fewer people, however, are aware that the Dominican Republic is also the perfect holiday destination for adventure seekers. Jaw dropping waterfalls, whale watching and tropical forests begging to be explored are just some of the things that the Dominican Republic’s Samana region has to offer.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
These latest figures released by ASONAHORES are not only a sign of a strong start to 2012 and the hard work being put in by all the local stakeholders but it is also an indication that the Caribbean island is strengthening its position as the ultimate Caribbean holiday destination in 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
This all inclusive resort provides luxurious holidaying at its very best with a true Dominican flavour
- Honeymoon couples receive a bottle of champagne & fruit basket on arrival as well as a a romantic dinner for two,
- Boasting a wonderful location, in immaculate tended tropical gardens, beside a stunning stretch of beach at Bavero
- A choice of six specialty restaurants featuring Mexican, Oriental, a Steak House and more
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Numerous daytime activities for all, including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
- Get the luxury treatment with Unlimited-Luxury privileges that keep on giving
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
Stay at this Mediterranean inspired seaside paradise in the southeast coast of the Dominican
- Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury, an all inclusive experience like no other with reservation free dining
- Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the World class Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- The hotel offers a fantastic setting in Bayahibe, a seaside paradise in the southeast coast
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...