Air Passenger Duty To Rise by 8 Per Cent From April 2012 Affecting the Caribbean holidays industry
The British chancellor, George Osborne, announced yesterday that APD would be increased by eight per cent in a double inflation rise. The rise will apply from April, 2012 and will significantly affect the price of flights for Caribbean holidays.
Despite receiving an open letter from aviation, tourism and trade unions, calling for a freeze on the APD increase, the British chancellor has decided to go ahead with the eight per cent double inflation rise on the tax.
The rise in APD will affect the price of flights coming in and going out of the UK and travellers planning Caribbean holidays will see a hike in the price of flights to the region as airlines are forced to add the hike to their fares.
The APD rise will come into effect from 1st April, 2012 and is disappointing news for tourism and aviation leaders who fought to scrap the duty completely.
"The government has repeatedly said it looks to travel and tourism as one of its key drivers of growth but instead of listening to concerns that APD is stunting this growth, not only in travel but in the wider economy too, it has chosen to significantly increase the tax burden,” stated Mark Tanzer, the Chief Executive of the Association of British Travel Agents.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
APD was introduced in 1994 and is charged according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Despite Florida and Hawaii being located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking holidays to the Caribbean are charged more.
Last year, the British chancellor, George Osborne, announced a freeze in APD for 12 months but it seems that passengers travelling in and out of Britain are now paying for that freeze with the highest flight taxes in the world.
Osborne also confirmed in his Budget speech yesterday that the APD would rise again with the rate of inflation in April, 2013.
Image by: *michael sweet*, on Flickr
The worst hit travellers will be those planning long haul trips such as holidays in the Caribbean, the United States, the Middle East, South Africa, South America and Australia.
The cost of APD for a family of four flying to the United States or Egypt has risen from £240 to £260, and the same family taking flights to the Caribbean or South Africa, will now pay £324, compared to the previous £300.
In the open letter which was delivered to the British Chancellor prior to the Budget announcement, tourism, aviation and trade unions urged the government to scrap the duty, saying that by removing it, an additional 91,000 British jobs could be created and £4.2 billion would be added to the economy in just 12 months.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
The news is also a blow for the Caribbean tourism industry which is only just beginning to recover from the global recession. The region’s economy heavily relies on travellers going on holidays in the Caribbean and the increased APD could see families heading to destinations that are closer to the UK or to the United States.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...