American Airlines Launches Extra Cuba Flights for Pope's Visit this Month
Airline Brokers, a travel agency in the United States, will be offering extra flights for American travellers planning Cuba holidays to see Pope Benedict XVI. The additional flights will depart from Fort Lauderdale and Miami at the end of the month.
As Cuba prepares for the visit of Pope Benedict XVI later this month, U.S. travel agency, Airline Brokers, announces that it will be providing additional flights to the communist island for American travellers.
U.S. tourists who are planning to take Cuba holidays especially to see the Pope will have more flight options as the agency adds extra services departing from Fort Lauderdale on 24th March, 2012 and Miami on 25th and 27th March, 2012
The licensed holidays in Cuba will cost travellers over $2,000 and the package includes Cuba flights, accommodation, transfers and meals.
This will be the second visit from a Pope in two decades and the last visit was from Pope John Paul II in 1998.
Image by: Stefano Liboni, on Flickr
The Caribbean island is gearing up for the Pope’s arrival and renovation work has started on Havana's Revolution Square, where crowds will gather for Mass with Pope Benedict.
The Pope will arrive in the eastern city of Santiago on 26th March, 2012 where he will meet Raul Castro, the President of Cuba. During his three-day trip he will also visit the shrine of the Virgin of Caridad del Cobre which is located in a nearby village.
The new U.S. law allows American residents to go on Cuba holidays for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional purposes and many companies have arranged charter flights to Cuba and special packages for the Pope’s visit that include accommodation at Cuba hotels, tours, flights and food.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
As Airline Brokers makes preparations for extra flights from Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport in the U.S has had to postpone the launch of its weekly charter service to Havana until the autumn because of poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to launch on 21st March, 2012 but despite the Pope’s anticipated visit, only six tickets were sold.
Since President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on Cuba travel in early 2011, several U.S. airports have been granted permission to provide holidays to Cuba via charter flights. These include Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International, Bush Intercontinental, Tampa International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover everything the ‘Island of the Gods’ has to offer with a stay in the buzzing Seminyak area
- Restore your inner balance at Taum Spa or take a surfing lesson
- Incredible value upgrades to private pool rooms
- Complimentary shuttle to town centre and Petitenget Beach
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Complimentary shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool Access
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...