American Airlines Launches Extra Cuba Flights for Pope's Visit this Month
Airline Brokers, a travel agency in the United States, will be offering extra flights for American travellers planning Cuba holidays to see Pope Benedict XVI. The additional flights will depart from Fort Lauderdale and Miami at the end of the month.
As Cuba prepares for the visit of Pope Benedict XVI later this month, U.S. travel agency, Airline Brokers, announces that it will be providing additional flights to the communist island for American travellers.
U.S. tourists who are planning to take Cuba holidays especially to see the Pope will have more flight options as the agency adds extra services departing from Fort Lauderdale on 24th March, 2012 and Miami on 25th and 27th March, 2012
The licensed holidays in Cuba will cost travellers over $2,000 and the package includes Cuba flights, accommodation, transfers and meals.
This will be the second visit from a Pope in two decades and the last visit was from Pope John Paul II in 1998.
Image by: Stefano Liboni, on Flickr
The Caribbean island is gearing up for the Pope’s arrival and renovation work has started on Havana's Revolution Square, where crowds will gather for Mass with Pope Benedict.
The Pope will arrive in the eastern city of Santiago on 26th March, 2012 where he will meet Raul Castro, the President of Cuba. During his three-day trip he will also visit the shrine of the Virgin of Caridad del Cobre which is located in a nearby village.
The new U.S. law allows American residents to go on Cuba holidays for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional purposes and many companies have arranged charter flights to Cuba and special packages for the Pope’s visit that include accommodation at Cuba hotels, tours, flights and food.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
As Airline Brokers makes preparations for extra flights from Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport in the U.S has had to postpone the launch of its weekly charter service to Havana until the autumn because of poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to launch on 21st March, 2012 but despite the Pope’s anticipated visit, only six tickets were sold.
Since President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on Cuba travel in early 2011, several U.S. airports have been granted permission to provide holidays to Cuba via charter flights. These include Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International, Bush Intercontinental, Tampa International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...