American Airlines Launches Extra Cuba Flights for Pope's Visit this Month
Airline Brokers, a travel agency in the United States, will be offering extra flights for American travellers planning Cuba holidays to see Pope Benedict XVI. The additional flights will depart from Fort Lauderdale and Miami at the end of the month.
As Cuba prepares for the visit of Pope Benedict XVI later this month, U.S. travel agency, Airline Brokers, announces that it will be providing additional flights to the communist island for American travellers.
U.S. tourists who are planning to take Cuba holidays especially to see the Pope will have more flight options as the agency adds extra services departing from Fort Lauderdale on 24th March, 2012 and Miami on 25th and 27th March, 2012
The licensed holidays in Cuba will cost travellers over $2,000 and the package includes Cuba flights, accommodation, transfers and meals.
This will be the second visit from a Pope in two decades and the last visit was from Pope John Paul II in 1998.
Image by: Stefano Liboni, on Flickr
The Caribbean island is gearing up for the Pope’s arrival and renovation work has started on Havana's Revolution Square, where crowds will gather for Mass with Pope Benedict.
The Pope will arrive in the eastern city of Santiago on 26th March, 2012 where he will meet Raul Castro, the President of Cuba. During his three-day trip he will also visit the shrine of the Virgin of Caridad del Cobre which is located in a nearby village.
The new U.S. law allows American residents to go on Cuba holidays for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional purposes and many companies have arranged charter flights to Cuba and special packages for the Pope’s visit that include accommodation at Cuba hotels, tours, flights and food.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
As Airline Brokers makes preparations for extra flights from Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport in the U.S has had to postpone the launch of its weekly charter service to Havana until the autumn because of poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to launch on 21st March, 2012 but despite the Pope’s anticipated visit, only six tickets were sold.
Since President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on Cuba travel in early 2011, several U.S. airports have been granted permission to provide holidays to Cuba via charter flights. These include Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International, Bush Intercontinental, Tampa International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...