American Airlines Launches Extra Cuba Flights for Pope's Visit this Month
Airline Brokers, a travel agency in the United States, will be offering extra flights for American travellers planning Cuba holidays to see Pope Benedict XVI. The additional flights will depart from Fort Lauderdale and Miami at the end of the month.
As Cuba prepares for the visit of Pope Benedict XVI later this month, U.S. travel agency, Airline Brokers, announces that it will be providing additional flights to the communist island for American travellers.
U.S. tourists who are planning to take Cuba holidays especially to see the Pope will have more flight options as the agency adds extra services departing from Fort Lauderdale on 24th March, 2012 and Miami on 25th and 27th March, 2012
The licensed holidays in Cuba will cost travellers over $2,000 and the package includes Cuba flights, accommodation, transfers and meals.
This will be the second visit from a Pope in two decades and the last visit was from Pope John Paul II in 1998.
Image by: Stefano Liboni, on Flickr
The Caribbean island is gearing up for the Pope’s arrival and renovation work has started on Havana's Revolution Square, where crowds will gather for Mass with Pope Benedict.
The Pope will arrive in the eastern city of Santiago on 26th March, 2012 where he will meet Raul Castro, the President of Cuba. During his three-day trip he will also visit the shrine of the Virgin of Caridad del Cobre which is located in a nearby village.
The new U.S. law allows American residents to go on Cuba holidays for religious, academic, educational, cultural and professional purposes and many companies have arranged charter flights to Cuba and special packages for the Pope’s visit that include accommodation at Cuba hotels, tours, flights and food.
Image by: worldtraveller5, on Flickr
As Airline Brokers makes preparations for extra flights from Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport in the U.S has had to postpone the launch of its weekly charter service to Havana until the autumn because of poor ticket sales.
The first flight was scheduled to launch on 21st March, 2012 but despite the Pope’s anticipated visit, only six tickets were sold.
Since President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on Cuba travel in early 2011, several U.S. airports have been granted permission to provide holidays to Cuba via charter flights. These include Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall International, Bush Intercontinental, Tampa International, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Chicago O'Hare, Pittsburgh and San Juan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...