The world's first ever eco-friendly floating golf course being built in the Maldives
Eco-concerned golf lovers will be in for a serious treat after the world's first ever solar-powered, floating golf course in the Maldives is completed in 2015. But in 2013 some could be enjoying golfing Maldvies holidays as part of it will be usable.
Golf lovers will have an astonishing new golf course to visit during golf-tastic holidays in the Maldives after the world's first ever, solar-powered, floating golf course is completed in the Maldives, a feat that promises to cost zero carbon footpring to the eco-concerned island nation.
Currently under development, the new 18-hole golf course will be laid over three floating islands, linked by underwater tunnels that not only interconnect to each other but also tie the islands to a clubhouse, through which golfers can head from a shot to another, or get to relax a bit at the bar. Another network of underwater tunnels connects the series of floating platforms, each containing two or three holes. All these will also be connected to Maldives hotels around the complex, for easier access.
Image by: cool3c, on Flickr
The exclusive design for Maldives' first ever golf course also features a series of sumptuous villas overlooking the golf course and coral reefs. Besides the underwater clubhouse there will also be two brand new luxury Maldives hotels surrounding the new golf development.
With a total cost of around $500 million, the new golf course, which will be named The Royal Indian Ocean Club and which is set to be completed by 2015, will be completely powered by solar energy. It will be a "scarless development, which has zero footprint on the Maldives region", according to Dutch Docklands, the development company of the new golf resort.
Image by: cool3c, on Flickr
For this new project, set to revamp the image of Maldives holidays in the eyas of serious golf enthusiasts, the Troon Golf company will take care of the golf course and game devices, while all the engineering is being done by Dutch Docklands. As a truly eco-friendly developmentwhole project designed by Waterstudio.NLwith ecologists, the designers promise that the new floating golf course will not leave any trace on the environment, and will not affect any local ecosystems.
At The Royal Indian Ocean Club, electricity will be powered by solar energy, and other eco-friendly touches for truly green holidays in the Maldives' newest golf resort include sustainable desalinisation and water cooling techniques, which will also be helped by the Maldivian tide.
This ambitious new project, gives a hand to the Maldivian tourism, being a long term ecological investment. Work on the site began a few months ago, with the course expected to be usable in 2013 and a complete project finalisation date set to 2015. The new golf course, which will be just five minutes away from the airport, could increase the popularity of Maldives holidays among golf enthusiasts worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Peace, relaxation and luxury come as standard in this amazing Indian Ocean getaway
- Easy acces to capital city of Male, where you can extend your experience of the Maldives
- Benefit from water bungalows that allow unfettered access to the ocean waters and feature private sun decks
- The main restaurants’ theme nights highlight cuisines from around the world ranging from Asian to Western dishes
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities (*surcharge may apply)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages all come included in the price of your stay
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Adaaran Club Rannalhi is regarded as one of the best hotels in Maldives, sitting exclusively at the tip of the South...
Standing out as a precious gem, the Adaaran Select Hudhuran Fushi is a great Maldivian holiday spot for any kind of...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
The island of Bandos is a perfect setting for that romantic getaway or those two weeks of bliss away from work. The...