The world's first ever eco-friendly floating golf course being built in the Maldives
Eco-concerned golf lovers will be in for a serious treat after the world's first ever solar-powered, floating golf course in the Maldives is completed in 2015. But in 2013 some could be enjoying golfing Maldvies holidays as part of it will be usable.
Golf lovers will have an astonishing new golf course to visit during golf-tastic holidays in the Maldives after the world's first ever, solar-powered, floating golf course is completed in the Maldives, a feat that promises to cost zero carbon footpring to the eco-concerned island nation.
Currently under development, the new 18-hole golf course will be laid over three floating islands, linked by underwater tunnels that not only interconnect to each other but also tie the islands to a clubhouse, through which golfers can head from a shot to another, or get to relax a bit at the bar. Another network of underwater tunnels connects the series of floating platforms, each containing two or three holes. All these will also be connected to Maldives hotels around the complex, for easier access.
Image by: cool3c, on Flickr
The exclusive design for Maldives' first ever golf course also features a series of sumptuous villas overlooking the golf course and coral reefs. Besides the underwater clubhouse there will also be two brand new luxury Maldives hotels surrounding the new golf development.
With a total cost of around $500 million, the new golf course, which will be named The Royal Indian Ocean Club and which is set to be completed by 2015, will be completely powered by solar energy. It will be a "scarless development, which has zero footprint on the Maldives region", according to Dutch Docklands, the development company of the new golf resort.
Image by: cool3c, on Flickr
For this new project, set to revamp the image of Maldives holidays in the eyas of serious golf enthusiasts, the Troon Golf company will take care of the golf course and game devices, while all the engineering is being done by Dutch Docklands. As a truly eco-friendly developmentwhole project designed by Waterstudio.NLwith ecologists, the designers promise that the new floating golf course will not leave any trace on the environment, and will not affect any local ecosystems.
At The Royal Indian Ocean Club, electricity will be powered by solar energy, and other eco-friendly touches for truly green holidays in the Maldives' newest golf resort include sustainable desalinisation and water cooling techniques, which will also be helped by the Maldivian tide.
This ambitious new project, gives a hand to the Maldivian tourism, being a long term ecological investment. Work on the site began a few months ago, with the course expected to be usable in 2013 and a complete project finalisation date set to 2015. The new golf course, which will be just five minutes away from the airport, could increase the popularity of Maldives holidays among golf enthusiasts worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....