Abu Dhabi holidays more popular than ever
Abu Dhabi's tourism industry has experienced a record-breaking year exceeding its own set target as 2,111,611 guests checked into Abu Dhabi hotels in 2011. The figures reflect the heightened popularity of Abu Dhabi holidays, an encouraging sign for 2012.
Abu Dhabi hotels have had their most successful year to date according to the figures recently released by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA). The statistics show that Abu Dhabi has exceeded its own target of two million visitors in 2011 by over 110000 with a record breaking 2,111,611 holidaymakers checking into Abu Dhabi hotels last year.
Hotels in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates, saw an upward trend in several key measures including; the number of guest nights visitors booked, occupancy levels, length of stay and revenue which rose by $1.2 billion. In light of the a global economic downturn and a tense Arab Spring, the results are impressive and have lifted expectations for the number of holidaymakers who will book Abu Dhabi holidays in 2012, “It leaves us well-placed to build for 2012, for which we had initially targeted 2.3 million but, in conjunction with stakeholders, we will now reassess to see if this too, can be stretched” noted ADTA Chairman, Shaikh Sultan Bin Tahnoun Al Nahyan.
ADTA attributed the strong figures to several factors including a significant growth in the number of travellers from Asia who took holidays to Abu Dhabi in 2011. Asia accounted for 14 per cent of arrivals in 2011 with a 30 per cent growth in the number of travellers from India accompanied by a 15 per cent growth in the number of visitors from China.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
These latest figures underscore the importance of the travel markets in India and China to Abu Dhabi tourism, with India now being the second largest source market for Abu Dhabi behind the UK. According to the ADTA chairman, “We will continue to focus heavily on these emerging markets with a four-city travel trade road show in India next month culminating in our biggest pavilion yet at the SATTE travel trade fair in New Delhi and will equally benefit from Etihad's planned launch of a non-stop, daily service from Shanghai from March”.
Another factor that has been a driving force behind the popularity of Abu Dhabi holidays has been the billions of dollars Abu Dhabi has invested in tourism attractions and events like Ferrari World and the Yas Marina Circuit.
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
If the 2011 figures are anything to go by, 2012 is set to be another record-breaking year for the capital of the UAE, with several upcoming events including the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, due to be held from the 26th- 29th January 2012 and where world champion Tiger Woods will take part.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Enjoy golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Free Half Board Included in this amazing offer
Enjoy 5 star luxury in the city centre, laze on the hotel's private beach and pop downstairs to the capital's most renowned shopping mall, the Abu Dhabi Mall.
- Ranked within the Top 10 on Tripadvisor
- 9 Restaurants and 2 Cafes offering award winning cuisine plus Zen the Spa for various treatments
- In the heart of Abu Dhabi next to Abu Dhabi Mall
Enjoy your stay in Abu Dhabi at Shangri-La Qaryat Al Beri with stunning views of Abu Dhabi's landmark
- Enjoy stunning views of the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque
- Relax on the private beach at the resort and at the luxurious Spa
- exclusively for our customers: free room upgrade on selected dates
- Walking distance to Abu Dhabi's duty free shopping malls and historial area
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Camp
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Get away from all your concerns and enjoy a tranquil 4-day stay at the luxurious Beach Rotana Hotel & Towers whilst you...
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...
This 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi city centre is located on a private lagoon within walking distance of business and...
The Beach Rotana Hotel is set on a pristine stretch of white beach on the shores of the Arabian Sea. Located in the...