Experts recommend Cuba holidays for travellers planning getaways in 2012
With many predicting a surge in the number of Americans booking Cuba holidays, the island has been endorsed as a "must see" in 2012 by travel experts including Canada's Globe and Mail, U.S. based Fodor's and UK based travel expert Melanie Johnson.
The Cuban tourism industry ended 2011 on a high note welcoming well over two million holidaymakers to their shores for the eighth consecutive year, a remarkable feat considering the country's size and tumultuous relationship with the United States which has served to limit the number of tourists from that country over the years. Even more remarkably, according to the Cuban government, the island has become the third most popular Caribbean holiday destination in less than ten years. Industry experts are paying special attention to the development of the island as a tourism destination, with many citing Cuba holidays as a must for holidaymakers planning a Caribbean getaway in 2012.
Reputed U.S. based travel firm Fodor’s, listed Cuba as an emerging hotspot in their “21 Places to Go in 2012” list while more relaxed travel restrictions from the Obama administration have driven heightened interest in travel to Cuba for many US citizens. Some insiders recommend that worldwide holidaymakers take the opportunity to visit the island now, before the predicted heavy influx of tourists from the U.S., expected to happen in the coming years once all American citizens are allowed free and unlimited travel to Cuba.
Image by: analista55, on Flickr
“For those looking for authentic culture and unspoiled lands head for the Caribbean Island of Cuba for what might be their last chance to experience the true culture and magic of the destination before more flights from America herald a tourist takeover” were the encouraging words from Melanie Kay Johnson, a UK-based travel expert affiliated with the award winning firm Travel Counsellors. Bruce Kirkby of Canada’s Globe and Mail echoed similar sentiments, “There is simply no country geographically closer to Canada that offers such contrast, matching the rich cultures and lush environments of Asia or South America, at a fraction of the travel expense and effort....Ask 10 Cubans today what the future holds and you'll get 10 different answers. You still have a chance to visit this nearby nation locked in the 1960s, but it won't last long”.
Image by: ciclope*, on Flickr
The Cuban government will aim to build on the recent successes of the tourism industry and the buzz it is generating internationally. Government-controlled radio station Radio Cadena Agramonte announced that the 2011 target of 2.7 million visitors was achieved “without a problem” and as such the 2012 target has been raised to 2.9 million visitors. In an effort to increase the number of people booking Cuba holidays this year, the Cuban government has announced a number of initiatives including improvements to a group of Cuba hotels and amenities located in the main tourist districts, along with general improvements to the quality and professionalism of the services provided by employees in the industry. Also planned is the construction of three new hotels in the resorts of Holguin, Cayo Cayo Coco and Cayo Santa Maria. These will add to the 60,000 hotel rooms currently available in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...