January Marks 30th Anniversary for Abu Dhabi International Airport
Abu Dhabi International Airport is celebrating its 30th anniversary this month. Over the past three decades, more than 126 million passengers have arrived to or departed from Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips via the airport in the capital emirate.
This month has marked the 30th anniversary of Abu Dhabi International Airport and since its opening on 4th January, 1982 over 126 million passengers have passed through the gateway to the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
Throughout the three decades, the airport has welcomed travellers arriving to their Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips and many airlines have now established their operations at the airport such as Etihad Airways, the emirate's leading airline.
Speaking about the airport's anniversary, the Chairman of Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Khalifa Al Mazrouei, said: "Abu Dhabi Airports Company is proud to be celebrating this special occasion and highlighting Abu Dhabi International Airport's achievements over the past thirty years.
"The Emirate of Abu Dhabi has experienced remarkable development in this short period of time, with Abu Dhabi International Airport being a vital part of the capital's growth. Already established as a major international hub for travellers around the globe, Abu Dhabi International Airport is committed to further developing into a leading airport in the region, and a key contributor to the Abu Dhabi 2030 vision of economic diversification."
Image by: J.Elliott, on Flickr
The airport caters towards 53 international airlines that operate flights to Abu Dhabi as well as routes to destinations all over the world. The number of passengers who have travelled through the airport during holidays to Abu Dhabi has doubled over the past six years, from 5.3 million in 2006, to 12 million 2011.
Abu Dhabi International Airport offers state-of-the-art facilities for travellers departing from holidays in Abu Dhabi, including self check-in kiosks, complimentary Wi-Fi, remote check-ins, plus children's play areas, luxurious hospitality lounges, and a wide choice of restaurants and duty free outlets.
In 2011, ADAC was honoured with numerous wards including the Best Premium Service Airport by Skytrax "the World Airports' Awards", Best Airport Marketing in the World Award by World Routes, Best Airport in the Middle East and Best Airport for Tax-free Shopping by Business Destinations.
As the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi offers an array of upscale globally-branded Abu Dhabi hotels and attractions for visitors such as the stunning Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Khalifa Park, the picturesque waterfront, the Abu Dhabi Mall and the Marina Mall.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Head to Promthep Cape for the most beautiful sunset in Thailand
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...