January Marks 30th Anniversary for Abu Dhabi International Airport
Abu Dhabi International Airport is celebrating its 30th anniversary this month. Over the past three decades, more than 126 million passengers have arrived to or departed from Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips via the airport in the capital emirate.
This month has marked the 30th anniversary of Abu Dhabi International Airport and since its opening on 4th January, 1982 over 126 million passengers have passed through the gateway to the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
Throughout the three decades, the airport has welcomed travellers arriving to their Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips and many airlines have now established their operations at the airport such as Etihad Airways, the emirate's leading airline.
Speaking about the airport's anniversary, the Chairman of Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Khalifa Al Mazrouei, said: "Abu Dhabi Airports Company is proud to be celebrating this special occasion and highlighting Abu Dhabi International Airport's achievements over the past thirty years.
"The Emirate of Abu Dhabi has experienced remarkable development in this short period of time, with Abu Dhabi International Airport being a vital part of the capital's growth. Already established as a major international hub for travellers around the globe, Abu Dhabi International Airport is committed to further developing into a leading airport in the region, and a key contributor to the Abu Dhabi 2030 vision of economic diversification."
Image by: J.Elliott, on Flickr
The airport caters towards 53 international airlines that operate flights to Abu Dhabi as well as routes to destinations all over the world. The number of passengers who have travelled through the airport during holidays to Abu Dhabi has doubled over the past six years, from 5.3 million in 2006, to 12 million 2011.
Abu Dhabi International Airport offers state-of-the-art facilities for travellers departing from holidays in Abu Dhabi, including self check-in kiosks, complimentary Wi-Fi, remote check-ins, plus children's play areas, luxurious hospitality lounges, and a wide choice of restaurants and duty free outlets.
In 2011, ADAC was honoured with numerous wards including the Best Premium Service Airport by Skytrax "the World Airports' Awards", Best Airport Marketing in the World Award by World Routes, Best Airport in the Middle East and Best Airport for Tax-free Shopping by Business Destinations.
As the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi offers an array of upscale globally-branded Abu Dhabi hotels and attractions for visitors such as the stunning Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Khalifa Park, the picturesque waterfront, the Abu Dhabi Mall and the Marina Mall.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...