January Marks 30th Anniversary for Abu Dhabi International Airport
Abu Dhabi International Airport is celebrating its 30th anniversary this month. Over the past three decades, more than 126 million passengers have arrived to or departed from Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips via the airport in the capital emirate.
This month has marked the 30th anniversary of Abu Dhabi International Airport and since its opening on 4th January, 1982 over 126 million passengers have passed through the gateway to the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
Throughout the three decades, the airport has welcomed travellers arriving to their Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips and many airlines have now established their operations at the airport such as Etihad Airways, the emirate's leading airline.
Speaking about the airport's anniversary, the Chairman of Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Khalifa Al Mazrouei, said: "Abu Dhabi Airports Company is proud to be celebrating this special occasion and highlighting Abu Dhabi International Airport's achievements over the past thirty years.
"The Emirate of Abu Dhabi has experienced remarkable development in this short period of time, with Abu Dhabi International Airport being a vital part of the capital's growth. Already established as a major international hub for travellers around the globe, Abu Dhabi International Airport is committed to further developing into a leading airport in the region, and a key contributor to the Abu Dhabi 2030 vision of economic diversification."
Image by: J.Elliott, on Flickr
The airport caters towards 53 international airlines that operate flights to Abu Dhabi as well as routes to destinations all over the world. The number of passengers who have travelled through the airport during holidays to Abu Dhabi has doubled over the past six years, from 5.3 million in 2006, to 12 million 2011.
Abu Dhabi International Airport offers state-of-the-art facilities for travellers departing from holidays in Abu Dhabi, including self check-in kiosks, complimentary Wi-Fi, remote check-ins, plus children's play areas, luxurious hospitality lounges, and a wide choice of restaurants and duty free outlets.
In 2011, ADAC was honoured with numerous wards including the Best Premium Service Airport by Skytrax "the World Airports' Awards", Best Airport Marketing in the World Award by World Routes, Best Airport in the Middle East and Best Airport for Tax-free Shopping by Business Destinations.
As the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi offers an array of upscale globally-branded Abu Dhabi hotels and attractions for visitors such as the stunning Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Khalifa Park, the picturesque waterfront, the Abu Dhabi Mall and the Marina Mall.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...