January Marks 30th Anniversary for Abu Dhabi International Airport
Abu Dhabi International Airport is celebrating its 30th anniversary this month. Over the past three decades, more than 126 million passengers have arrived to or departed from Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips via the airport in the capital emirate.
This month has marked the 30th anniversary of Abu Dhabi International Airport and since its opening on 4th January, 1982 over 126 million passengers have passed through the gateway to the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
Throughout the three decades, the airport has welcomed travellers arriving to their Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips and many airlines have now established their operations at the airport such as Etihad Airways, the emirate's leading airline.
Speaking about the airport's anniversary, the Chairman of Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Khalifa Al Mazrouei, said: "Abu Dhabi Airports Company is proud to be celebrating this special occasion and highlighting Abu Dhabi International Airport's achievements over the past thirty years.
"The Emirate of Abu Dhabi has experienced remarkable development in this short period of time, with Abu Dhabi International Airport being a vital part of the capital's growth. Already established as a major international hub for travellers around the globe, Abu Dhabi International Airport is committed to further developing into a leading airport in the region, and a key contributor to the Abu Dhabi 2030 vision of economic diversification."
Image by: J.Elliott, on Flickr
The airport caters towards 53 international airlines that operate flights to Abu Dhabi as well as routes to destinations all over the world. The number of passengers who have travelled through the airport during holidays to Abu Dhabi has doubled over the past six years, from 5.3 million in 2006, to 12 million 2011.
Abu Dhabi International Airport offers state-of-the-art facilities for travellers departing from holidays in Abu Dhabi, including self check-in kiosks, complimentary Wi-Fi, remote check-ins, plus children's play areas, luxurious hospitality lounges, and a wide choice of restaurants and duty free outlets.
In 2011, ADAC was honoured with numerous wards including the Best Premium Service Airport by Skytrax "the World Airports' Awards", Best Airport Marketing in the World Award by World Routes, Best Airport in the Middle East and Best Airport for Tax-free Shopping by Business Destinations.
As the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi offers an array of upscale globally-branded Abu Dhabi hotels and attractions for visitors such as the stunning Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Khalifa Park, the picturesque waterfront, the Abu Dhabi Mall and the Marina Mall.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...