January Marks 30th Anniversary for Abu Dhabi International Airport
Abu Dhabi International Airport is celebrating its 30th anniversary this month. Over the past three decades, more than 126 million passengers have arrived to or departed from Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips via the airport in the capital emirate.
This month has marked the 30th anniversary of Abu Dhabi International Airport and since its opening on 4th January, 1982 over 126 million passengers have passed through the gateway to the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
Throughout the three decades, the airport has welcomed travellers arriving to their Abu Dhabi holidays and business trips and many airlines have now established their operations at the airport such as Etihad Airways, the emirate's leading airline.
Speaking about the airport's anniversary, the Chairman of Abu Dhabi Airports Company (ADAC), Khalifa Al Mazrouei, said: "Abu Dhabi Airports Company is proud to be celebrating this special occasion and highlighting Abu Dhabi International Airport's achievements over the past thirty years.
"The Emirate of Abu Dhabi has experienced remarkable development in this short period of time, with Abu Dhabi International Airport being a vital part of the capital's growth. Already established as a major international hub for travellers around the globe, Abu Dhabi International Airport is committed to further developing into a leading airport in the region, and a key contributor to the Abu Dhabi 2030 vision of economic diversification."
Image by: J.Elliott, on Flickr
The airport caters towards 53 international airlines that operate flights to Abu Dhabi as well as routes to destinations all over the world. The number of passengers who have travelled through the airport during holidays to Abu Dhabi has doubled over the past six years, from 5.3 million in 2006, to 12 million 2011.
Abu Dhabi International Airport offers state-of-the-art facilities for travellers departing from holidays in Abu Dhabi, including self check-in kiosks, complimentary Wi-Fi, remote check-ins, plus children's play areas, luxurious hospitality lounges, and a wide choice of restaurants and duty free outlets.
In 2011, ADAC was honoured with numerous wards including the Best Premium Service Airport by Skytrax "the World Airports' Awards", Best Airport Marketing in the World Award by World Routes, Best Airport in the Middle East and Best Airport for Tax-free Shopping by Business Destinations.
As the capital of the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi offers an array of upscale globally-branded Abu Dhabi hotels and attractions for visitors such as the stunning Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Khalifa Park, the picturesque waterfront, the Abu Dhabi Mall and the Marina Mall.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Enjoy a taste of Thailand with a complimentary cooking class
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...