High-Speed catamaran service to operate between Florida and Cuba from 2013
Kona Catamaran, LLC has entered into a partnership with CubaKat to build three high-speed catamaran vessels that will provide transport for Cuba holidays. The cruises will travel between Marathon, Florida and Cuba's capital city, Havana, from April, 2013.
From spring next year, tourists will be able to travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba via high speed catamaran cruises after Kona Catamaran LLC signed a deal with CubaKat last week to build three new vessels.
The three catamarans will be used to transport tourists to their Cuba holidays and will travel from Marathon in Florida to Havana in less than three hours. The ferries will carry up to 149 passengers each and the first boat is scheduled to start operating from April, 2013.
CubaKat are currently in the process of obtaining a licence through U.S and Cuban agencies so that they can operate the new ferry services. Boksa Marine Design in Tampa, Florida and Noah Thompson Design from New Zealand are designing the boats and they will be built by Kona Catamaran.
Kona Catamaran's CEO, Brian Hall, commented: "We're pleased to be part of such an historic project that will change the lives of so many people. This project has the potential to create over 200 jobs between Mobile, Alabama; Titusville, Florida; and the Florida Keys. This will be the start of a great venture using our high speed catamarans in Cuba."
More Americans are booking holidays to Cuba after President Obama relaxed restrictions last year on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo. American travellers are now allowed to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic, religious, educational and professional purposes. The Caribbean island is expecting to receive an influx of American holidaymakers this year as many will go on holiday in Cuba for the very first time.
Several tour operators and travel companies have taken advantage of the changes to the law and a number of charter flights to Cuba have been introduced from new airports including Tampa International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, O'Hare International in Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth International, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International, Pittsburgh International, plus San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
The CEO of CubaKat, Pedro Baez, added: "This will be the first ferry to provide service from the U.S. to Cuba in more than 50 years. CubaKat is looking forward to providing a much needed service that will enhance travel experience to and from the beautiful country of Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...