High-Speed catamaran service to operate between Florida and Cuba from 2013
Kona Catamaran, LLC has entered into a partnership with CubaKat to build three high-speed catamaran vessels that will provide transport for Cuba holidays. The cruises will travel between Marathon, Florida and Cuba's capital city, Havana, from April, 2013.
From spring next year, tourists will be able to travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba via high speed catamaran cruises after Kona Catamaran LLC signed a deal with CubaKat last week to build three new vessels.
The three catamarans will be used to transport tourists to their Cuba holidays and will travel from Marathon in Florida to Havana in less than three hours. The ferries will carry up to 149 passengers each and the first boat is scheduled to start operating from April, 2013.
CubaKat are currently in the process of obtaining a licence through U.S and Cuban agencies so that they can operate the new ferry services. Boksa Marine Design in Tampa, Florida and Noah Thompson Design from New Zealand are designing the boats and they will be built by Kona Catamaran.
Kona Catamaran's CEO, Brian Hall, commented: "We're pleased to be part of such an historic project that will change the lives of so many people. This project has the potential to create over 200 jobs between Mobile, Alabama; Titusville, Florida; and the Florida Keys. This will be the start of a great venture using our high speed catamarans in Cuba."
More Americans are booking holidays to Cuba after President Obama relaxed restrictions last year on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo. American travellers are now allowed to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic, religious, educational and professional purposes. The Caribbean island is expecting to receive an influx of American holidaymakers this year as many will go on holiday in Cuba for the very first time.
Several tour operators and travel companies have taken advantage of the changes to the law and a number of charter flights to Cuba have been introduced from new airports including Tampa International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, O'Hare International in Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth International, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International, Pittsburgh International, plus San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
The CEO of CubaKat, Pedro Baez, added: "This will be the first ferry to provide service from the U.S. to Cuba in more than 50 years. CubaKat is looking forward to providing a much needed service that will enhance travel experience to and from the beautiful country of Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...