High-Speed catamaran service to operate between Florida and Cuba from 2013
Kona Catamaran, LLC has entered into a partnership with CubaKat to build three high-speed catamaran vessels that will provide transport for Cuba holidays. The cruises will travel between Marathon, Florida and Cuba's capital city, Havana, from April, 2013.
From spring next year, tourists will be able to travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba via high speed catamaran cruises after Kona Catamaran LLC signed a deal with CubaKat last week to build three new vessels.
The three catamarans will be used to transport tourists to their Cuba holidays and will travel from Marathon in Florida to Havana in less than three hours. The ferries will carry up to 149 passengers each and the first boat is scheduled to start operating from April, 2013.
CubaKat are currently in the process of obtaining a licence through U.S and Cuban agencies so that they can operate the new ferry services. Boksa Marine Design in Tampa, Florida and Noah Thompson Design from New Zealand are designing the boats and they will be built by Kona Catamaran.
Kona Catamaran's CEO, Brian Hall, commented: "We're pleased to be part of such an historic project that will change the lives of so many people. This project has the potential to create over 200 jobs between Mobile, Alabama; Titusville, Florida; and the Florida Keys. This will be the start of a great venture using our high speed catamarans in Cuba."
More Americans are booking holidays to Cuba after President Obama relaxed restrictions last year on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo. American travellers are now allowed to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic, religious, educational and professional purposes. The Caribbean island is expecting to receive an influx of American holidaymakers this year as many will go on holiday in Cuba for the very first time.
Several tour operators and travel companies have taken advantage of the changes to the law and a number of charter flights to Cuba have been introduced from new airports including Tampa International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, O'Hare International in Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth International, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International, Pittsburgh International, plus San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
The CEO of CubaKat, Pedro Baez, added: "This will be the first ferry to provide service from the U.S. to Cuba in more than 50 years. CubaKat is looking forward to providing a much needed service that will enhance travel experience to and from the beautiful country of Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...