High-Speed catamaran service to operate between Florida and Cuba from 2013
Kona Catamaran, LLC has entered into a partnership with CubaKat to build three high-speed catamaran vessels that will provide transport for Cuba holidays. The cruises will travel between Marathon, Florida and Cuba's capital city, Havana, from April, 2013.
From spring next year, tourists will be able to travel to the Caribbean island of Cuba via high speed catamaran cruises after Kona Catamaran LLC signed a deal with CubaKat last week to build three new vessels.
The three catamarans will be used to transport tourists to their Cuba holidays and will travel from Marathon in Florida to Havana in less than three hours. The ferries will carry up to 149 passengers each and the first boat is scheduled to start operating from April, 2013.
CubaKat are currently in the process of obtaining a licence through U.S and Cuban agencies so that they can operate the new ferry services. Boksa Marine Design in Tampa, Florida and Noah Thompson Design from New Zealand are designing the boats and they will be built by Kona Catamaran.
Kona Catamaran's CEO, Brian Hall, commented: "We're pleased to be part of such an historic project that will change the lives of so many people. This project has the potential to create over 200 jobs between Mobile, Alabama; Titusville, Florida; and the Florida Keys. This will be the start of a great venture using our high speed catamarans in Cuba."
More Americans are booking holidays to Cuba after President Obama relaxed restrictions last year on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo. American travellers are now allowed to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic, religious, educational and professional purposes. The Caribbean island is expecting to receive an influx of American holidaymakers this year as many will go on holiday in Cuba for the very first time.
Several tour operators and travel companies have taken advantage of the changes to the law and a number of charter flights to Cuba have been introduced from new airports including Tampa International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, O'Hare International in Chicago, Dallas Fort Worth International, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International, Pittsburgh International, plus San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
The CEO of CubaKat, Pedro Baez, added: "This will be the first ferry to provide service from the U.S. to Cuba in more than 50 years. CubaKat is looking forward to providing a much needed service that will enhance travel experience to and from the beautiful country of Cuba."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...