Millions of Brits Head Abroad to Celebrate Christmas and New Year
According to ABTA, approximately 4.25 million British people will be heading abroad over the Christmas and New Year period. The Travel Association revealed that tourists have planned Cuba holidays and trips to ski resorts to celebrate the festivities.
Millions of British travellers are planning to escape over the Christmas and New Year period by heading off abroad to ski resorts and sunnier destinations such as the Caribbean.
According to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), about 4.25 million Brits have chosen to get away and relax with family and friends over the festive holiday season. Among the most popular choices are ski resorts in France and Austria and sunny Caribbean destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba holidays.
The figures are up in comparison to the same time period last year (4 million) and the peak travel days are expected to be 22nd and 23rd December.
Many travellers are seeking a white Christmas and heading to ski resorts in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France while numerous other families are planning to take their little ones to see Father Christmas in Lapland while they marvel at the Northern Lights.
However, it seems that the majority of holidaymakers are seeking sunnier climates for their Christmas and New Year breaks and the Caribbean is at the top of the list with holidays to Cuba and the Dominican Republic among the favourites.
With a selection of luxury beachfront Cuba hotels to choose from and a warm and sunny climate, the Caribbean island is a fantastic place to relax and unwind during this special time of year. Cuba travel is made easier thanks to the numerous direct flights available from the UK through airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
The Canary Islands and Mexico are also popular destinations for festive celebrations this Christmas and Australia and New Zealand are top choices for New Year breaks because they are the first places in the world to see the arrival of 2012.
Additional leading destinations where Brits will be counting down the New Year include Paris, Reykjavik, Rome, Dublin and New York.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer, said: “Christmas and the New Year are amongst the busiest times of the year for the travel industry and I am delighted that millions of our customers are taking advantage of time off. With all the doom and gloom of the economy it looks like people are keen to escape for a break, whether they are visiting friends and family or looking to enjoy winter sun or guaranteed snow.”
Millions of British tourists will be departing the UK through its main airports with 1.7 million leaving from London Heathrow, 750,000 from London Gatwick, 425,000 from Stansted, 340,000 from Manchester, 165,000 from Birmingham and 120,000 from Glasgow.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
The perfect blend of cultural discovery and recreation, this Cuba holiday will let you experience two of its more glorious gems – historical Havana and the pristine beach of Varadero
- Baby Club and mini club available at the Villa Cuba hotel
- Non-motorized watersports including kayaks, windsurfing, sailing, water bicycles and snorkeling
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's Miramar District
Be dazzled by captivating Havana and top up your tan on sizzling Varadero with this fantastic holiday package to two of Cuba’s most glistening gems – its famous capital city and its longest, most legendary beach.
- Ideal for golfers, the beachside resort is close to the Varadero Golf Club and Xanadu Mansion
- Occidental Miramar is located in the heart of Havana's tranquil and elegant Miramar district
- The Breezes Bella Costa is located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach; offers special discounts for families!
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in Varadero where you will be staying in two top retreats.
- During your stay in Havana take our 2 day cultural tour from £99 per person which includes City tour of Havana, a Tobacco Plantation, Cigar Factory, sail along the river and see the Haystack Hillock Mountains and much more
- Included we will also give you £300 worth of extra added values, per couple for free including; guaranteed late check out, bottle of sparkling wine, Free room upgrade and much more
- Take advantage of the Non-motorised water sports in Varadero including; (catamaran, snorkelling & windsurfing)
Couples Special – Deluxe Havana City Break & Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect mix of exciting city life and pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- Amazing added values for couples, exclusive to The Holiday Place guests!
- In Havana couples will receive sparkling wine and fruit upon arrival, Late Check-Out & much more
Blau Marina Varadero (formerly Barcelo Marina Palace) sits beside the white sands of beautiful Varadero beach in front...
Sandals Royal Hicacos is a luxury all inclusive resort for "two people in love" over the age of 18 years. Set...
Breezes Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero. just 155 kilometers from the jose marti...