Millions of Brits Head Abroad to Celebrate Christmas and New Year
According to ABTA, approximately 4.25 million British people will be heading abroad over the Christmas and New Year period. The Travel Association revealed that tourists have planned Cuba holidays and trips to ski resorts to celebrate the festivities.
Millions of British travellers are planning to escape over the Christmas and New Year period by heading off abroad to ski resorts and sunnier destinations such as the Caribbean.
According to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), about 4.25 million Brits have chosen to get away and relax with family and friends over the festive holiday season. Among the most popular choices are ski resorts in France and Austria and sunny Caribbean destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba holidays.
The figures are up in comparison to the same time period last year (4 million) and the peak travel days are expected to be 22nd and 23rd December.
Many travellers are seeking a white Christmas and heading to ski resorts in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France while numerous other families are planning to take their little ones to see Father Christmas in Lapland while they marvel at the Northern Lights.
However, it seems that the majority of holidaymakers are seeking sunnier climates for their Christmas and New Year breaks and the Caribbean is at the top of the list with holidays to Cuba and the Dominican Republic among the favourites.
With a selection of luxury beachfront Cuba hotels to choose from and a warm and sunny climate, the Caribbean island is a fantastic place to relax and unwind during this special time of year. Cuba travel is made easier thanks to the numerous direct flights available from the UK through airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
The Canary Islands and Mexico are also popular destinations for festive celebrations this Christmas and Australia and New Zealand are top choices for New Year breaks because they are the first places in the world to see the arrival of 2012.
Additional leading destinations where Brits will be counting down the New Year include Paris, Reykjavik, Rome, Dublin and New York.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer, said: “Christmas and the New Year are amongst the busiest times of the year for the travel industry and I am delighted that millions of our customers are taking advantage of time off. With all the doom and gloom of the economy it looks like people are keen to escape for a break, whether they are visiting friends and family or looking to enjoy winter sun or guaranteed snow.”
Millions of British tourists will be departing the UK through its main airports with 1.7 million leaving from London Heathrow, 750,000 from London Gatwick, 425,000 from Stansted, 340,000 from Manchester, 165,000 from Birmingham and 120,000 from Glasgow.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Breezes Varadero, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...