Millions of Brits Head Abroad to Celebrate Christmas and New Year
According to ABTA, approximately 4.25 million British people will be heading abroad over the Christmas and New Year period. The Travel Association revealed that tourists have planned Cuba holidays and trips to ski resorts to celebrate the festivities.
Millions of British travellers are planning to escape over the Christmas and New Year period by heading off abroad to ski resorts and sunnier destinations such as the Caribbean.
According to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), about 4.25 million Brits have chosen to get away and relax with family and friends over the festive holiday season. Among the most popular choices are ski resorts in France and Austria and sunny Caribbean destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba holidays.
The figures are up in comparison to the same time period last year (4 million) and the peak travel days are expected to be 22nd and 23rd December.
Many travellers are seeking a white Christmas and heading to ski resorts in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France while numerous other families are planning to take their little ones to see Father Christmas in Lapland while they marvel at the Northern Lights.
However, it seems that the majority of holidaymakers are seeking sunnier climates for their Christmas and New Year breaks and the Caribbean is at the top of the list with holidays to Cuba and the Dominican Republic among the favourites.
With a selection of luxury beachfront Cuba hotels to choose from and a warm and sunny climate, the Caribbean island is a fantastic place to relax and unwind during this special time of year. Cuba travel is made easier thanks to the numerous direct flights available from the UK through airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
The Canary Islands and Mexico are also popular destinations for festive celebrations this Christmas and Australia and New Zealand are top choices for New Year breaks because they are the first places in the world to see the arrival of 2012.
Additional leading destinations where Brits will be counting down the New Year include Paris, Reykjavik, Rome, Dublin and New York.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer, said: “Christmas and the New Year are amongst the busiest times of the year for the travel industry and I am delighted that millions of our customers are taking advantage of time off. With all the doom and gloom of the economy it looks like people are keen to escape for a break, whether they are visiting friends and family or looking to enjoy winter sun or guaranteed snow.”
Millions of British tourists will be departing the UK through its main airports with 1.7 million leaving from London Heathrow, 750,000 from London Gatwick, 425,000 from Stansted, 340,000 from Manchester, 165,000 from Birmingham and 120,000 from Glasgow.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...