Millions of Brits Head Abroad to Celebrate Christmas and New Year
According to ABTA, approximately 4.25 million British people will be heading abroad over the Christmas and New Year period. The Travel Association revealed that tourists have planned Cuba holidays and trips to ski resorts to celebrate the festivities.
Millions of British travellers are planning to escape over the Christmas and New Year period by heading off abroad to ski resorts and sunnier destinations such as the Caribbean.
According to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), about 4.25 million Brits have chosen to get away and relax with family and friends over the festive holiday season. Among the most popular choices are ski resorts in France and Austria and sunny Caribbean destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba holidays.
The figures are up in comparison to the same time period last year (4 million) and the peak travel days are expected to be 22nd and 23rd December.
Many travellers are seeking a white Christmas and heading to ski resorts in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France while numerous other families are planning to take their little ones to see Father Christmas in Lapland while they marvel at the Northern Lights.
However, it seems that the majority of holidaymakers are seeking sunnier climates for their Christmas and New Year breaks and the Caribbean is at the top of the list with holidays to Cuba and the Dominican Republic among the favourites.
With a selection of luxury beachfront Cuba hotels to choose from and a warm and sunny climate, the Caribbean island is a fantastic place to relax and unwind during this special time of year. Cuba travel is made easier thanks to the numerous direct flights available from the UK through airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
The Canary Islands and Mexico are also popular destinations for festive celebrations this Christmas and Australia and New Zealand are top choices for New Year breaks because they are the first places in the world to see the arrival of 2012.
Additional leading destinations where Brits will be counting down the New Year include Paris, Reykjavik, Rome, Dublin and New York.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer, said: “Christmas and the New Year are amongst the busiest times of the year for the travel industry and I am delighted that millions of our customers are taking advantage of time off. With all the doom and gloom of the economy it looks like people are keen to escape for a break, whether they are visiting friends and family or looking to enjoy winter sun or guaranteed snow.”
Millions of British tourists will be departing the UK through its main airports with 1.7 million leaving from London Heathrow, 750,000 from London Gatwick, 425,000 from Stansted, 340,000 from Manchester, 165,000 from Birmingham and 120,000 from Glasgow.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...