Millions of Brits Head Abroad to Celebrate Christmas and New Year
According to ABTA, approximately 4.25 million British people will be heading abroad over the Christmas and New Year period. The Travel Association revealed that tourists have planned Cuba holidays and trips to ski resorts to celebrate the festivities.
Millions of British travellers are planning to escape over the Christmas and New Year period by heading off abroad to ski resorts and sunnier destinations such as the Caribbean.
According to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), about 4.25 million Brits have chosen to get away and relax with family and friends over the festive holiday season. Among the most popular choices are ski resorts in France and Austria and sunny Caribbean destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba holidays.
The figures are up in comparison to the same time period last year (4 million) and the peak travel days are expected to be 22nd and 23rd December.
Many travellers are seeking a white Christmas and heading to ski resorts in Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France while numerous other families are planning to take their little ones to see Father Christmas in Lapland while they marvel at the Northern Lights.
However, it seems that the majority of holidaymakers are seeking sunnier climates for their Christmas and New Year breaks and the Caribbean is at the top of the list with holidays to Cuba and the Dominican Republic among the favourites.
With a selection of luxury beachfront Cuba hotels to choose from and a warm and sunny climate, the Caribbean island is a fantastic place to relax and unwind during this special time of year. Cuba travel is made easier thanks to the numerous direct flights available from the UK through airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
The Canary Islands and Mexico are also popular destinations for festive celebrations this Christmas and Australia and New Zealand are top choices for New Year breaks because they are the first places in the world to see the arrival of 2012.
Additional leading destinations where Brits will be counting down the New Year include Paris, Reykjavik, Rome, Dublin and New York.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer, said: “Christmas and the New Year are amongst the busiest times of the year for the travel industry and I am delighted that millions of our customers are taking advantage of time off. With all the doom and gloom of the economy it looks like people are keen to escape for a break, whether they are visiting friends and family or looking to enjoy winter sun or guaranteed snow.”
Millions of British tourists will be departing the UK through its main airports with 1.7 million leaving from London Heathrow, 750,000 from London Gatwick, 425,000 from Stansted, 340,000 from Manchester, 165,000 from Birmingham and 120,000 from Glasgow.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...