Visa restrictions lifted for Colombians planning Jamaica holidays
Colombian citizens can now travel to Jamaica without the hassle of applying for a visa. The move was recently announced by the local government as part of an initiative aimed at luring more South Americans to book Jamaican holidays.
The decision recently announced by Edmund Bartlett, Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism, to lift visa travel requirements for Colombian citizens visiting the popular holiday Caribbean destination, will no doubt be well received by the Colombian government who have been welcoming Jamaican tourists to their shores without visa restrictions.
“Under the current regime Jamaicans travelling to Colombia do not need a visa, however outside of diplomats Colombians require visas to travel to Jamaica. Hence this initiative will facilitate reciprocity and easier passage for our Colombian visitors.” Bartlett stated.
The Jamaican government has targeted South America as well as the emerging markets of Brazil, Russia, India and China with the hopes that given a few added incentives more citizens from these countries will book holidays to Jamaica. The move has been implemented as part of a wider marketing campaign to boost the island’s already successful tourism industry. In addition to its efforts to increase the in popularity of Jamaica holidays among worldwide holidaymakers, Prime Minister Andrew Holness has also recently alluded to a million pound investment plan in the country’s tourism industry with the capacity to provide as much as 20, 000 new jobs, the full details of which are yet to be released.
Jamaica has long been seen as one of the top Caribbean holiday destinations, in October 2011 the island copped the title for the Caribbean’s leading destination at the World Travel Awards for the fifth consecutive year. Jamaica also surpassed its regional peers by earning accolades for being the leading Caribbean cruise destination and leading Caribbean beach destination. A host of luxury hotels and resorts in Jamaica have helped to build up the West Indian island’s reputation among satisfied holidaymakers.
Image by: Pat Mulrooney, on Flickr
The Sandals brand has been particularly successful in Jamaica, with six different Sandals resorts spread across the island in popular towns and beach resorts including, Montego Bay, Negril and Ocho Rios; all popular spots for romantic getaways in Jamaica. The Sandals Resorts’ Chairman, Gordon Stewart was also recognised in the World Travel Awards as he walked away with the Tourism Pioneer award. The success at the prestigious WTA event, often described as the “Oscars of the travel industry”, was, according to Mr Bartlett, a reflection of a year of hard work. Applauding the sustained attractive appeal of Jamaica holidays for worldwide tourists he stated, “the country's performance and that of our resorts and partners at these awards have proven once again that our country will continue to see good results in terms of arrivals, guest satisfaction and, indeed, new developments."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...