TDIC Delays Openings of Abu Dhabi Louvre and Guggenheim Museums
The highly anticipated opening of three of Abu Dhabi's new museums has been delayed, after an announcement from the Tourism Development and Investment Co. The cultural project is expected to attract thousands of tourists taking Abu Dhabi holidays.
The Tourism Development and Investment Company (TDIC) in Abu Dhabi has announced that it will be postponing the anticipated opening of three museums in the city.
According to the Abu Dhabi-based government-owned company, the Guggenheim and the Louvre museums and the Zayed National Museum will not be opening to tourists taking Abu Dhabi holidays in 2013 or 2014 as was initially planned, and no new opening date has been given so far.
TDIC announced recently that it had cancelled a tender that was related to the construction of the Frank Gehry-designed 450,000 square-feet Guggenheim museum in the city.
In a statement, the company said: "Due to the immense magnitude of the work associated with the development of such consequential projects, the company has decided to extend the delivery dates.
"This will ensure that quality is not compromised, and allow each establishment the time needed to create its own identity on the local and international cultural stage.”
TDIC added that significant progress has been made on the museum project, including the completion of architectural designs.
It added: "The company is currently working closely with its valued partners on the creation of the new delivery timeline and looks forward to announcing this in due course."
Image by: IDEE_PER_VIAGGIARE, on Flickr
Earlier this year, firms competed for the $109 million contract for the Guggenheim project, including UAE's Al Habtoor-Leighton Group, Dubai builder Arabtec , Saudi Oger, Egypt's Orascom Construction and South Korea's Samsung C&T.
The $27 billion art and cultural project is one of the largest of its kind in the Middle East and is expected to attract thousands of international visitors enjoying Abu Dhabi holidays once it has opened to the public.
The Guggenheim and Louvre museums will be built on the Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. Located 500m of the coast of Abu Dhabi, Saadiyat Island is a world class leisure, residential, business and tourism hub.
Image by: MP:MEGLIOPOSSIBILE, on Flickr
The natural island will be offering luxury Abu Dhabi hotels, iconic landmarks, over three million square metres of office space, marinas with berths for up to1,000 boats, two championship golf courses, civic and leisure facilities, sea-view apartments and upscale villas.
Situated on 27 square-kilometres of land, Saadiyat island will feature seven districts and will be completed in phases up until 2020. Once completed, over 160,000 people are expected to live there all year round and thousands more will be visiting during holidays to Abu Dhabi.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Abu Dhabi Browse all
Unwind and be pampered at a luxurious beachside retreat in the golden shores of the Arabian Gulf, on Abu Dhabi's Corniche.
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Upgrade your experience and book a room including tickets to Ferrari World or Yas Waterworld
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Direct connection to Al Raha Mall for the perfect shopping experience
Experience the spectacular and beautiful Intercontinental Abu Dhabi
- Upgrade to All Inclusive package! Call us now!
- Choose from a huge variety of prized buzzing restaurants overlooking the water
- A landmark hotel, prized for its white sandy beach, marina and variety of restaurants
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Start off at Al Raha Beach with plenty of shopping options nearby followed by a stay at Tilal Liwa Desert Resort
- Al Raha overlooks a pristine ribbon of private beach, and you'll be within easy access to the Formula 1 theme park and downtown Abu Dhabi
- Enjoy a wide range of unique experiences such as camel riding, desert safari, BBQ, wellness therapy and many more
- Relax in the pool overlooking the Liwa dunes and the vast desert beyond as far as your eye can see
Acquaint yourself with the luxurious Abu Dhabi lifestyle during a comfy 5-day stay at the Al Raha Beach Hotel....
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...
Al Raha Beach Hotel offers magnificent views of the Arabian Gulf, just a short drive from the city and Abu Dhabi...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...
Experience the height of luxurious comfort at the modern deluxe Pearl Rotana, designed to suit the needs of business,...
Come and experience the dreamlike beauty of the stunning Radisson Blu on the coast of the famous Yas Island. With the...