Dubai Named Middle East's 2011 World Festival and Event City
Dubai has been named the Middle East's "2011 World Festival and Event City" by the International Festivals and Events Association. Travellers taking Dubai holidays can enjoy annual music festivals and shopping and sporting events in the vibrant city.
Dubai Events and Promotions (DEPE) recently announced that Dubai has been named the Middle East’s “World Festival and Event City” by the International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA).
The vibrant city hosts an array of exciting music festivals as well as several shopping and sporting events every year which are attended by both local residents and tourists enjoying Dubai holidays.
The President of the Dubai Civil Aviation, Chairman and CEO of Emirates airline and Group, and Chairman of the Dubai Supreme Fiscal Committee, Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, dedicated the prestigious award to Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.
Shaikh Ahmad explained that more festivals were introduced to Dubai in the 1990s in order to develop the city as a hub for international events and encourage more travellers to take luxury holidays to Dubai.
Image by: ed.balcomb, on Flickr
He said: "The fruits of this long-term strategy have materialised with the events and festivals industry being vital in energising various economic sectors in the city, whether it was the hospitality sector, the tourism sector or the retail sector, which are all main arteries that pump income into the local economy as non-oil industries.”
The award was announced at the IFEA Convention and Expo in Fort Worth, Texas earlier this month and was accepted by Laila Suhail, the CEO of DEPE, an agency of the Department of Economic Development (DED) and the organiser of the annual Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises.
Suhail said: "For more than a decade and a half now, since the launch of the first edition of the Dubai Shopping Festival in 1996, Dubai has been raising the bar of excellence in organising and hosting world class events and festivals. It paid off today with this award."
The city’s annual events and festivals have boosted tourism and trade; and Dubai hotels, tourist attractions, shopping malls, restaurants and airlines are reaping the rewards.
Image by: Chuâ¤, on Flickr
Gassan Aridi, the Chief Executive of Alpha Tours, said: "Mice [meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions] is the cream of tourism because people come in bulk.
"Look at the recent diabetes and dentistry conferences: people come in thousands. They get the best hotels, book lots of services such as conference rooms and take a lot of tours and activities in Dubai."
Major sporting events are attracting more tourists to take Dubai holidays as fans follow their favourite clubs and the worldwide media provides coverage.
Aridi added: "There is a whole economic circle benefitting out of it: restaurants, souvenir shops, shopping malls, car rentals.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice
- Try something absolutely unique on Dubai's only Ice Rink
- Located in the heart of the historic Deira with walking distance to the gold souks
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Enjoy unparalleled luxury and splendour at one of the premier establishments sitting on Dubai's renowned Jumeirah Strip....
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...