Dubai Named Middle East's 2011 World Festival and Event City
Dubai has been named the Middle East's "2011 World Festival and Event City" by the International Festivals and Events Association. Travellers taking Dubai holidays can enjoy annual music festivals and shopping and sporting events in the vibrant city.
Dubai Events and Promotions (DEPE) recently announced that Dubai has been named the Middle East’s “World Festival and Event City” by the International Festivals and Events Association (IFEA).
The vibrant city hosts an array of exciting music festivals as well as several shopping and sporting events every year which are attended by both local residents and tourists enjoying Dubai holidays.
The President of the Dubai Civil Aviation, Chairman and CEO of Emirates airline and Group, and Chairman of the Dubai Supreme Fiscal Committee, Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, dedicated the prestigious award to Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.
Shaikh Ahmad explained that more festivals were introduced to Dubai in the 1990s in order to develop the city as a hub for international events and encourage more travellers to take luxury holidays to Dubai.
Image by: ed.balcomb, on Flickr
He said: "The fruits of this long-term strategy have materialised with the events and festivals industry being vital in energising various economic sectors in the city, whether it was the hospitality sector, the tourism sector or the retail sector, which are all main arteries that pump income into the local economy as non-oil industries.”
The award was announced at the IFEA Convention and Expo in Fort Worth, Texas earlier this month and was accepted by Laila Suhail, the CEO of DEPE, an agency of the Department of Economic Development (DED) and the organiser of the annual Dubai Shopping Festival and Dubai Summer Surprises.
Suhail said: "For more than a decade and a half now, since the launch of the first edition of the Dubai Shopping Festival in 1996, Dubai has been raising the bar of excellence in organising and hosting world class events and festivals. It paid off today with this award."
The city’s annual events and festivals have boosted tourism and trade; and Dubai hotels, tourist attractions, shopping malls, restaurants and airlines are reaping the rewards.
Image by: Chuâ¤, on Flickr
Gassan Aridi, the Chief Executive of Alpha Tours, said: "Mice [meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions] is the cream of tourism because people come in bulk.
"Look at the recent diabetes and dentistry conferences: people come in thousands. They get the best hotels, book lots of services such as conference rooms and take a lot of tours and activities in Dubai."
Major sporting events are attracting more tourists to take Dubai holidays as fans follow their favourite clubs and the worldwide media provides coverage.
Aridi added: "There is a whole economic circle benefitting out of it: restaurants, souvenir shops, shopping malls, car rentals.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Discover the impressive opulence of Dubai's skyline matched only by the views across the Arabian Gulf
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury with stunning views of Downtown Dubai
- A landmark hotel located in Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- Incredible bars, clubs and restaurants, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm.
- There are plenty of sightseeing and historical places to visit within walking distance
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...