Annual Dominican Republic Jazz Festival to be held in November
The 15th Annual Dominican Republic Jazz Festival will be held in the tropical towns of Cabarete and Sosua, from 9th November to 12th November. Jazz fans from all over the world can enjoy Dominican Republic holidays, with live music and beautiful scenery.
Jazz fans from all over the globe come each year to the Dominican Republic Jazz Festival, to hear high-elite musicians from the Caribbean, Central and South America. This year the Jazz Festival celebrates its 15th annual concert, which will be held in the tropical towns of Cabarete and Sosua. Jazz devotees will be able to enjoy Dominican Republic holidays, accompanied by brilliant music, and stunning surroundings.
This four-day and three-night long festival will be held in different spots each day, giving attendees the pleasure of being able to listen to wonderful music, in diverse and beautiful settings. Another one of the fantastic perks is that attendance is free, except for just one session.
Jennifer Kirkman, founder and director of the festival stated: “We did this because we wanted as many people as possible to have exposure to jazz and its international character.”
The sponsors who supported this idea were the Dominican Republic Minsitry of Tourism, Dominican Republic Ministry of Culture, Ferreteria Ochoa, the Millenium Resort in Cabarete (one of the finest resorts among Dominican Republic hotels) , Sea Horse Ranch in Cabarete (founders) and Ayuntamiento Sosua, among others.
Furthermore, those who attend the festival can have the privilege of sitting in the VIP section along with the musicians and sponsors, for the reasonable price of $150.00. This price includes complimentary Cuba Libres, made with Brugal rum, another one of the sponsors.
Opening night will be on Wednesday, under the stars, in the Parque Mirador Sosua at 8:00 p.m. It will feature the Puerto Varas Jazz Sextet from Chile and Sabrina Esteban, the Dominican Republic’s ‘Los Dias del Jazz’.
Thursday’s musical event will be held in the roofed-over, open-sided amphitheatre at one of the most fine-looking Puerto Plata hotels: the Casa Marina Resort, an excellent choice for lodging while attending the festival. Starting at 10:30 a.m. attendees will be able to participate in a workshop/seminar with the Puerto Varas Big Band from Chile, and in the afternoon they can feel free to tour around places like Monkey Jungle and Zip lines or snorkel and scuba dive in the crystal-clear waters of Sosua Bay. The Dominican Republic’s Tes-A-T and Ismail Miranda from Puerto Plata will be performing in the night session. This nightly event is done for charity, and attendance costs $200.00, the proceeds of which will go to fund special educational music programmes. VIP ticket holders will have this session included in the price.
The following day’s first activity will be begin at 11:00 a.m. under a tent on Cabarete Beach, with workshops for children, although people of any age range will be able to participated and learn from these exceptional jazz musicians. At one o’clock attendees will be able to enjoy a concert for youth by youth, led by the Puerto Varas Big Band, whose musicians are between the ages of 16 and 22. These sessions hope to inspire young people, and encourage them to learn to enjoy and appreciate jazz music.
Vocalists are the 2011 theme, and doing the first honours at 8:30 p.m. on Friday, will be Tutti Druyan from Israel, a young and up-coming vocalist currently studying at the Berkeley College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. Xiomara Fortuna, the Afro-Cuban Antillean fusion specialist from the Dominican Republic, will be the following act, and to turn up the heat Gema Corredera, an amazing and accomplished Cuban singer will close the night’s event.
Cabarete Beach is not only a beautiful sight for those enjoying Dominican Republic holidays, it also boasts approximately 15 restaurants and bars where attendees can enjoy local seafood, Italian food steaks and an Irish sports pub. The last evening, on Saturday, begins its show at 9:00 p.m., still on the beach, with Rando Camasta from the Dominican Republic and Jerry Medina y La Banda from Puerto Rico. The audience floor will turn into a dance-floor for this last event, and musicians may feel free to improvise after the show.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy fantastic savings, $200 resort credit per room per stay to spend in the spa, upgraded wine list and on a romantic dinner
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Stay at this Mediterranean inspired seaside paradise in the southeast coast of the Dominican
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury, an all inclusive experience like no other with reservation free dining
- Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the World class Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- The hotel offers a fantastic setting in Bayahibe, a seaside paradise in the southeast coast
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana will be located on the east coast of the Dominican Republic, in the centre of the...