Increase in Tourists Leads to 15 Per Cent Growth in Demand for Dubai Hotels
The number of tourists taking Dubai holidays is expected to surpass the 8 million figure by the end of 2011 and hotels in the Middle Eastern city are expecting the individual room revenue to increase by eight or nine per cent by the end of the year.
According to STR Global, the number of international travellers visiting Dubai is expected to reach over eight million by the end of the year and the influx of tourists is having a positive impact on hotel room revenues in the city.
In its latest forecast, STR Global says that the steady flow of tourists taking Dubai holidays has led to a 15 per cent increase in the demand for hotel rooms for the full year.
Dubai hotels are expecting to see revenue from available hotel rooms increase to 8 or 9 per cent in 2011. Data from STR Global predicts the new hotel room supply growth next year to reach 9.6 per cent.
According to the data, there are 13,000 rooms in the emirate that are currently under construction and a further 21,000 are in the pipeline.
Image by: Brent73, on Flickr
The demand for hotel rooms from tourists taking Dubai holidays increased by 16.5 per cent in the months leading up to August, 2011 compared to the same period last year.
The report revealed a 17.6 increase in the number of travellers seeking luxury hotel rooms; 9.4 per cent for average Dubai hotels; and 11.3 per cent for economy hotels in Dubai, compared to last year’s figures.
The STR Global report stated: “Branded economy and midscale hotels have been growing in the past few years as Dubai diversifies its hotel offering, which was until recently focused mainly on upscale to luxury segments. The additional new supply in the midscale/economy segments combined with slightly lower demand than the market resulted in an average room rate decline of 2.7 per cent and the lowest absolute level of occupancy at 69.0 per cent.”
Image by: Theodore Scott, on Flickr
Elizabeth Randall, the Managing Director of STR Global, explained: “The Dubai hotel market has managed to leverage its strategic location as a hub between continents and was valued as a safe destination during the Arab Spring.
“In addition, modern infrastructure, new hotel inventory and delayed openings have allowed the market to balance supply and demand. This is good news for hoteliers who can now build their occupancy and rate.”
International tourists taking luxury holidays in Dubai are expected to spend a total $7.8 billion in 2011, marking a 24 per cent increase on the $6.3 billion spent in 2010.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Take in the sights of the Golden Triangle tour where you will feel transported back in time then head for Dubai the world's most futuristic destination
- Complete your stay with a short break in luxurious Dubai
- Enjoy a horse carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal
- Experience a traditional Rajasthani dinner with a local family
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...