Mexico Records 1.8 Per cent Increase in Tourists in First Eight Months of 2011
The number of tourists who took Mexico holidays during the first eight months of 2011 has increased by 1.8 per cent compared to the same period last year. Riviera May and Cancun holidays are among the top favourites for travellers visiting the country.
Mexico has seen an increase in the number of visitors that have arrived to the country throughout the first eight months of 2011.
According to the Tourism Secretariat, the number of tourists taking going to Mexico to enjoy popular beach breaks with Cancun holidays and holidays to the famous Riviera Maya, has increased by 1.8 percent during this period compared to the same time last year.
The total reached 15.2 million tourists between January and August and border tourism rose by 9.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2010.
The Secretariat revealed that a total of 6.6 million visitors travelled to northern Mexico between January and August 2011 and during their stay they spent $369 million; a 1.7 per cent increase on the first eight months of 2010.
Image by: BeLiveHotels.com, on Flickr
Occupancy levels in Mexico’s 70 largest cities and beach resorts such as the popular Riviera Maya and Cancun hotels in the Mexican Caribbean rose by 3.2 per cent and 115.2 million domestic tourists were recorded during this period; a 5.4 per cent increase on last year’s figures.
The spending habits of international travellers going on holidays to Mexico also changed with a 4.3 per cent increase in the amount tourists spent during Mexico and Cancun holidays, in comparison to 2010’s figures, according to the bank of Mexico.
Image by: eggneckface33, on Flickr
This year has seen Mexico celebrate the “Year of Tourism” as they country worked hard to promote the travel and tourism industry, promoting some of the country’s most beautiful sites and attractions, and as well as hotels and resorts in an attempt to counteract the negative publicity from the media about the war on drugs and crime in certain cities in Mexico.
Cancun is a popular destination for luxury holidays in Mexico and last year, the majority of the 22.4 million foreign tourists that visited Mexico headed to the country’s top three destinations: Mexico City, Riviera Maya and Cancun.
Situated on the northern coast of Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan peninsula in southern Mexico, Cancun is a popular coastal resort that attracts hundreds of thousands of travellers seeking the tropical Caribbean climate, breathtaking natural scenery and luxury Cancun hotels and resorts.
The region is home to an array of ancient archaeological sites and nature parks, and scuba diving enthusiasts can explore the underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun where 400 life-size sculptures lie on the ocean floor and attract an abundance of marine creatures and colourful corals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...