Mexico Records 1.8 Per cent Increase in Tourists in First Eight Months of 2011
The number of tourists who took Mexico holidays during the first eight months of 2011 has increased by 1.8 per cent compared to the same period last year. Riviera May and Cancun holidays are among the top favourites for travellers visiting the country.
Mexico has seen an increase in the number of visitors that have arrived to the country throughout the first eight months of 2011.
According to the Tourism Secretariat, the number of tourists taking going to Mexico to enjoy popular beach breaks with Cancun holidays and holidays to the famous Riviera Maya, has increased by 1.8 percent during this period compared to the same time last year.
The total reached 15.2 million tourists between January and August and border tourism rose by 9.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2010.
The Secretariat revealed that a total of 6.6 million visitors travelled to northern Mexico between January and August 2011 and during their stay they spent $369 million; a 1.7 per cent increase on the first eight months of 2010.
Image by: BeLiveHotels.com, on Flickr
Occupancy levels in Mexico’s 70 largest cities and beach resorts such as the popular Riviera Maya and Cancun hotels in the Mexican Caribbean rose by 3.2 per cent and 115.2 million domestic tourists were recorded during this period; a 5.4 per cent increase on last year’s figures.
The spending habits of international travellers going on holidays to Mexico also changed with a 4.3 per cent increase in the amount tourists spent during Mexico and Cancun holidays, in comparison to 2010’s figures, according to the bank of Mexico.
Image by: eggneckface33, on Flickr
This year has seen Mexico celebrate the “Year of Tourism” as they country worked hard to promote the travel and tourism industry, promoting some of the country’s most beautiful sites and attractions, and as well as hotels and resorts in an attempt to counteract the negative publicity from the media about the war on drugs and crime in certain cities in Mexico.
Cancun is a popular destination for luxury holidays in Mexico and last year, the majority of the 22.4 million foreign tourists that visited Mexico headed to the country’s top three destinations: Mexico City, Riviera Maya and Cancun.
Situated on the northern coast of Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan peninsula in southern Mexico, Cancun is a popular coastal resort that attracts hundreds of thousands of travellers seeking the tropical Caribbean climate, breathtaking natural scenery and luxury Cancun hotels and resorts.
The region is home to an array of ancient archaeological sites and nature parks, and scuba diving enthusiasts can explore the underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun where 400 life-size sculptures lie on the ocean floor and attract an abundance of marine creatures and colourful corals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...