Mexico Records 1.8 Per cent Increase in Tourists in First Eight Months of 2011
The number of tourists who took Mexico holidays during the first eight months of 2011 has increased by 1.8 per cent compared to the same period last year. Riviera May and Cancun holidays are among the top favourites for travellers visiting the country.
Mexico has seen an increase in the number of visitors that have arrived to the country throughout the first eight months of 2011.
According to the Tourism Secretariat, the number of tourists taking going to Mexico to enjoy popular beach breaks with Cancun holidays and holidays to the famous Riviera Maya, has increased by 1.8 percent during this period compared to the same time last year.
The total reached 15.2 million tourists between January and August and border tourism rose by 9.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2010.
The Secretariat revealed that a total of 6.6 million visitors travelled to northern Mexico between January and August 2011 and during their stay they spent $369 million; a 1.7 per cent increase on the first eight months of 2010.
Image by: BeLiveHotels.com, on Flickr
Occupancy levels in Mexico’s 70 largest cities and beach resorts such as the popular Riviera Maya and Cancun hotels in the Mexican Caribbean rose by 3.2 per cent and 115.2 million domestic tourists were recorded during this period; a 5.4 per cent increase on last year’s figures.
The spending habits of international travellers going on holidays to Mexico also changed with a 4.3 per cent increase in the amount tourists spent during Mexico and Cancun holidays, in comparison to 2010’s figures, according to the bank of Mexico.
Image by: eggneckface33, on Flickr
This year has seen Mexico celebrate the “Year of Tourism” as they country worked hard to promote the travel and tourism industry, promoting some of the country’s most beautiful sites and attractions, and as well as hotels and resorts in an attempt to counteract the negative publicity from the media about the war on drugs and crime in certain cities in Mexico.
Cancun is a popular destination for luxury holidays in Mexico and last year, the majority of the 22.4 million foreign tourists that visited Mexico headed to the country’s top three destinations: Mexico City, Riviera Maya and Cancun.
Situated on the northern coast of Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan peninsula in southern Mexico, Cancun is a popular coastal resort that attracts hundreds of thousands of travellers seeking the tropical Caribbean climate, breathtaking natural scenery and luxury Cancun hotels and resorts.
The region is home to an array of ancient archaeological sites and nature parks, and scuba diving enthusiasts can explore the underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun where 400 life-size sculptures lie on the ocean floor and attract an abundance of marine creatures and colourful corals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...