Mexico Records 1.8 Per cent Increase in Tourists in First Eight Months of 2011
The number of tourists who took Mexico holidays during the first eight months of 2011 has increased by 1.8 per cent compared to the same period last year. Riviera May and Cancun holidays are among the top favourites for travellers visiting the country.
Mexico has seen an increase in the number of visitors that have arrived to the country throughout the first eight months of 2011.
According to the Tourism Secretariat, the number of tourists taking going to Mexico to enjoy popular beach breaks with Cancun holidays and holidays to the famous Riviera Maya, has increased by 1.8 percent during this period compared to the same time last year.
The total reached 15.2 million tourists between January and August and border tourism rose by 9.4 per cent compared to the same period in 2010.
The Secretariat revealed that a total of 6.6 million visitors travelled to northern Mexico between January and August 2011 and during their stay they spent $369 million; a 1.7 per cent increase on the first eight months of 2010.
Image by: BeLiveHotels.com, on Flickr
Occupancy levels in Mexico’s 70 largest cities and beach resorts such as the popular Riviera Maya and Cancun hotels in the Mexican Caribbean rose by 3.2 per cent and 115.2 million domestic tourists were recorded during this period; a 5.4 per cent increase on last year’s figures.
The spending habits of international travellers going on holidays to Mexico also changed with a 4.3 per cent increase in the amount tourists spent during Mexico and Cancun holidays, in comparison to 2010’s figures, according to the bank of Mexico.
Image by: eggneckface33, on Flickr
This year has seen Mexico celebrate the “Year of Tourism” as they country worked hard to promote the travel and tourism industry, promoting some of the country’s most beautiful sites and attractions, and as well as hotels and resorts in an attempt to counteract the negative publicity from the media about the war on drugs and crime in certain cities in Mexico.
Cancun is a popular destination for luxury holidays in Mexico and last year, the majority of the 22.4 million foreign tourists that visited Mexico headed to the country’s top three destinations: Mexico City, Riviera Maya and Cancun.
Situated on the northern coast of Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan peninsula in southern Mexico, Cancun is a popular coastal resort that attracts hundreds of thousands of travellers seeking the tropical Caribbean climate, breathtaking natural scenery and luxury Cancun hotels and resorts.
The region is home to an array of ancient archaeological sites and nature parks, and scuba diving enthusiasts can explore the underwater museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun where 400 life-size sculptures lie on the ocean floor and attract an abundance of marine creatures and colourful corals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...