Holguin grows as a tourism destination for Cuba holidays
The eastern Cuban province of Holguin, received over 180,000 visitors in the first seven months of 2011. This represents a significant growth in tourism for Holguin, which is the third most visited destination by tourists taking Cuba holidays.
The Cuban Tourism Ministry (MINTUR) announced that Holguin, an eastern Cuban province and popular holiday destination, received 181,700 visitors in the first seven months of 2011. In comparison to the figures obtained in 2010, Holguin holidays have grown by 9.2 per cent. The MINTUR representative Jorge Luis Diaz is happy to acknowledge this increase and praises everyone’s efforts in the province’s tourism industry for achieving these results.
Tourists are attracted to Holguin because of its beautiful beaches, breathtaking vegetation and exotic fauna. The fascinating culture of the province’s inhabitants and their history is also part of this popular Cuban resort’s appeal. According to Diaz, the majority of tourists taking Cuba holidays in Holguin come from Canada. They are followed by the United Kingdom in second place, Germany in third place and Italy, in fourth.
The MINTUR also announced a substantial tourism increase in many resorts, especially from the reference given by the Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca Hotel. There are many recreational facilities in this province as well as comfy and luxurious hotels and venues to relax, and become one with nature.
There are 20 Holguin hotels, which add up to a total of 4,900 rooms, most of these hotels being four and five-star-category resorts, near wonderful beaches like Guardalavaca, Ester Ciego and Don Lino, among others. Among the many projects for the creation of new superb Cuba hotels in Holguin, stands the construction of the Ordoño Hotel in Gibara, one of the most important developments. This hotel belongs to the Cuban hotel chain: Hoteles E, from Cubanacan and will be finished by April 2012.
Holguin is the third most popular and most visited region in the Cuban island, after Havana (the eastern capital city of Cuba) and Varadero(famous for splendid all-inclusive resorts near the crystal-clear waters of the famed Varadero beach) in the western province of Matanzas. Much quieter and rural than Havana and Varadero beach resort, Holguin gives tourists the opportunity to not only relax and enjoy the beachside, but to get a one-on-one experience with truly astonishing nature, and explore some of the hidden, most breathtaking sights of the tropical island.
The Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort and Spa hotel in Holguin is considered one of the best resorts in the island and a comfy spot for travellers to relax in, on Cuba holidays. It is also recognised as one of the fiev top hotels in the Caribbean, according to Web TripAdvisor, the main website for the largest travelling community in the world.
As happy as the MINTUR is with the results, they won’t suffice. They are continuing to carry out many plans and projects in the region in order to keep these figures rising. A total of 56 two-story cabins are being built in the zone of Don Lino, Holguin and more tourism packages are being launched in order to keep the numbers up.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Guardalavaca Browse all
This resort is an impressive all-inclusive resort which is perfect for couples, families and singles alike
- Enjoy a variety of Cuban dishes at the resorts buffet restaurant or try one of the elegant 5 Ã la carte restaurants
- This Spanish style hacienda hotel is set along one of Cuba's magnificent white sandy beaches on Yuraguanal Beach
- Endless activities with 5 swimming pools, swim-up bar, variety of non-motorized water sports and a great choice of day and evening entertainment
Discover iconic Havana and head to All-Inclusive resort sitting on the beautiful white sandy Playa Pesquero beach
- Nacional de Cuba designed in an art deco style is considered as a symbol of history, culture and Cuban identity. Located in the middle of Vedado.
- Enjoy your holiday with the wide range of activities including beach games, water sports, tennis and cycling
- Choose from the variety of 9 different restaurants, a beer garden or enjoy the ice-cream parlour
Enjoy a tranquil stay at this exclusive adults only resort surrounded by exotic forests and beautiful beaches
- This exclusive adults-only hotel offers seclusion and tranquillity suitable for a couples escape or a romantic honeymoon
- Paradisus Rio De Oro offers an excellent selection of restaurants and superb facilities, so guests can do as much or a little as they choose
- Exclusive Singles offer at Paradisus Rio De Oro – No single supplement for Summer 2017 - Limited Availability
- The award winning resort occupies one of the most stunning locations in the Holguin Province and is surrounded by exotic forests and several beautiful beaches
Experience the best of Cuba in one sitting from East to West
- Explore and discover Havana, Santa Clara, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Camaguey and Santiago de Cuba
- Finish it all off with a couple of days unwinding on the beautiful eastern beaches of Guardalavaca
- Get a real taste of Cuba with the Best of Cuba tour, taking you to see unforgettable landmarks
Get a taste of the abundant history and culture of Havana, Cuba's intriguing capital with a whirlwind 5-day tour you'll...
Havana is a city that showcases both the ancient and the modern with an almost artistic flourish. Grab this once in a...
Spend a week exploring the length and breadth of Cuba, visiting its most celebrated tourist attractions and the nation's...
Spend 11 days exploring Cuba's most recognised tourist hotspots while having the adventure of a lifetime. You'll have an...
Seize this opportunity to walk the streets of one of the world's most historically rich cities, Havana while living in...
Enjoy the historic treasures of Havana as well as its colourful culture in a 5-day tour you'll never forget. While in...
Brisas Guardalavaca enjoys a stunning location on a private white sand beach. This impressive resort has a Mediterranean...