BA Cuts Caribbean Flights Due to High APD Taxes
British Airways has announced that it will be reducing its number of flights for Caribbean holidays due to the UK's high Air Passenger Duty. The airline has urged the government to scrap the APD as it jeopardises routes to the Caribbean and tourism.
Britain’s national airline, British Airways has announced that it will be cutting the number of flights it offers to the Caribbean due to the exorbitant Air Passenger Duty tax.
Travellers taking Caribbean holidays will now have fewer flights to choose from as a result of the high tax and the airline is urging the government to scrap APD altogether.
At present, a family of four travelling to Florida in economy class will pay £240 in APD, but the same family taking Caribbean holidays will pay £300.
The rates are twice what a family from Germany would pay, and a family taking their holidays to the Caribbean from France would pay just £15. The airline pointed out that there are 22 EU countries that do not pay any aviation tax.
APD is charged according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Despite Florida and Hawaii being located further from the UK, the country’s capital New York is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers travelling to the United States are charged less.
British Airways announced that they would be increasing the number of flights to Florida which has a tax rate 20 per cent lower than the Caribbean islands.
CEO of British Airways, Keith Williams told attendees of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s (CTO) annual conference in St Martin recently that the high tax was “jeopardising routes to the Caribbean”.
He said: “The Caribbean is a very important destination for us and we have a long and proud heritage of serving the region.
‘However, we can’t deny the reality that demand is not as high as it has been.
‘Taxation is most certainly a factor in this and sadly, a factor in our decision to reduce our frequency to the Caribbean next summer.
“It is no coincidence that our reduction in the number of services to the Caribbean is accompanied by a rise in services to Florida – another desirable holiday destination for UK sun-seekers, and a destination that is taxed at a rate 20 per cent less than the Caribbean.”
British Airways will decrease its flights from Gatwick to Barbados from 10 weekly flights to seven weekly flights, and it will be cancelling its twice-weekly service from Gatwick to Montego Bay in Jamaica.
The reduced flights are likely to be a blow to the Caribbean tourism industry as the region recovers from the global recession. Caribbean hotels and resorts and local businesses heavily rely on travellers from the UK and the rest of the Europe to sustain their tourism-led economy.
Earlier this year, the UK Finance Minister, George Osborne, announced that APD would be frozen for 12 months. The tax levels are currently being reviewed by the Government and the findings will be announced at the end of November.
Mr Williams added: “We continue to protest against the rises in APD and I hope that the Government’s recent consultation will lead to a more equitable banding system that does not unfairly penalise the Caribbean.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
The Topaz Hotel is perfect for those who want to explore St Paul's bay and Malta's rugged countryside. Affordable and...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...