Luxury Caribbean holidays on the rise following economic slump
Withstanding the harsh blows the uncertain and bleak economic global situation the world faces, Caribbean holidays have managed to push through triumphant, although not completely unscathed. Luxury holidays to the Caribbean have been increasingly popular.
Despite the worldwide economic slump it has been reported by Ricky Skerritt, chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) that luxury holidays to the Caribbean have been steadily increasing in popularity among travellers from all corners of the world.
Mr Skerritt also confirmed that non-luxury leisure travel to the Caribbean was, in general, reporting significant gains this year. He made this statements when addressing delegates at the first CTO-organised State of the Industry Conference which took place in Le Domaine hotel, in the French Caribbean island of St Martin.
According to him "year-over-year visitor arrivals to the Caribbean reflect a solid across-the-board increase".
But despite the success of Caribbean holidays against the harsh economic climate, he also emphasised on the fact that the Caribbean is still facing many challenges from the aftermath effects of the global economic recession.
“Visitor numbers are up but per-visitor expenditures are down, the length of stay is shrinking, and to prosper we must provide value for travel, affordable airlift and cost-effective marketing strategies,” he explained to the audience attending the event.
He went on to add how the conference's theme, Winning in a Competitive Environment, was very accurate and “appropriate, given the region is competing more and more with other destinations around the world”.
British Airways chief executive Keith Williams had earlier outlined one of the major concerns facing the Caribbean holidays market, blaming Air Passenger Duty in the United Kingdom for the decision to cut services to the region.
Organised in collaboration with the St Martin Tourist Office, The State of the Industry Conference aims to gather tourism interests from the public and private travel sectors in order to tackle a number of critical issues including overcoming the hurdles to intra-regional travel, how to use limited resources to the greatest advantage, how to influence the affluent luxury travellers, and how to remain truly competitive in today's tough travel market.
Communication Means Business, one of the event's main sessions, will be paying specific attention to the value of clear, accurate communication and spread of information around the world, using a wide and varied array of global media channels on a worldwide scale.
This Caribbean travel event builds on the success of the Leadership Strategy Conference that was held in Barbados last year, and satisfies a growing need felt among regional members, including travel agent partners, for such a gathering, annually.
All general conference sessions this year were preceded by a series of meetings held on 14th and 15th September, which gathered tourism ministers, directors of tourism, commissioners and private sector tourism partners.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...