British holidaymakers showing more interest in Mexico and Cancun
Figures from Post Office Travel Money have revealed that more British travellers are choosing breaks to Mexico. Cancun holidays are a popular choice for Brits as a result of cheap all inclusive packages and increased flights from British Airways.
More travellers are choosing Mexico as the destination for their summer holidays according to new figures released by Post Office Travel Money. Sales of the country's currency reveal that there has been a 144 per cent increase in travel to Mexico this summer with Cancun holidays amongst the favourites due to cheaper all inclusive packages and increased flights from British Airways.
The increase in travellers heading to Mexico has brought the country into the top 20 bestselling currencies published by the Post Office for the first time. Earlier this year, Mexican tourism officials assured travellers that the country was safe to visit despite U.S media reporting that it was a dangerous country.
Tourism representatives stated that while some of the county's cities should be avoided because of reported drugs and knife crime the tourist resorts were unaffected and travellers should not be deterred from visiting them. Cancun is a hotspot for travellers with its tropical climate, beautiful sweeping white sand beaches, azure waters and coral reefs, archaeological sites and ruins, and wide selection of luxury Cancun hotels.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can scuba dive beneath the ocean surface to the underwater art museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun, take boat trips in the Nichupte Lagoon, explore the historic sites of Chichen Itza and El Rey, visit the Xcaret Eco-archaeological Park, or relax on white sand beaches.
Earlier this year, British Airways increased the number of flights for travellers planning holidays to Cancun and the airline now operates three weekly services to Cancun from London Gatwick. The Post Office Travel Money figures also showed popular long-haul destinations for British travellers to be Thailand, Barbados, and Australia.
The favourite short-haul destinations included Croatia, Iceland and Switzerland with the Croatian Kuna currency taking fourth place in the currencies growth table in the UK this year.
"This summer we have seen the first signs that demand for holidays to the eurozone has stabilised and even grown," explained Sarah Munro, the head of travel money at the Post Office.
"In fact the success of Croatia, whose currency has strengthened against sterling this year, suggests that exchange rates are not the main consideration for holidaymakers," she added. "Package prices and resort costs play an important part in decision making."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...