British holidaymakers showing more interest in Mexico and Cancun
Figures from Post Office Travel Money have revealed that more British travellers are choosing breaks to Mexico. Cancun holidays are a popular choice for Brits as a result of cheap all inclusive packages and increased flights from British Airways.
More travellers are choosing Mexico as the destination for their summer holidays according to new figures released by Post Office Travel Money. Sales of the country's currency reveal that there has been a 144 per cent increase in travel to Mexico this summer with Cancun holidays amongst the favourites due to cheaper all inclusive packages and increased flights from British Airways.
The increase in travellers heading to Mexico has brought the country into the top 20 bestselling currencies published by the Post Office for the first time. Earlier this year, Mexican tourism officials assured travellers that the country was safe to visit despite U.S media reporting that it was a dangerous country.
Tourism representatives stated that while some of the county's cities should be avoided because of reported drugs and knife crime the tourist resorts were unaffected and travellers should not be deterred from visiting them. Cancun is a hotspot for travellers with its tropical climate, beautiful sweeping white sand beaches, azure waters and coral reefs, archaeological sites and ruins, and wide selection of luxury Cancun hotels.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can scuba dive beneath the ocean surface to the underwater art museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun, take boat trips in the Nichupte Lagoon, explore the historic sites of Chichen Itza and El Rey, visit the Xcaret Eco-archaeological Park, or relax on white sand beaches.
Earlier this year, British Airways increased the number of flights for travellers planning holidays to Cancun and the airline now operates three weekly services to Cancun from London Gatwick. The Post Office Travel Money figures also showed popular long-haul destinations for British travellers to be Thailand, Barbados, and Australia.
The favourite short-haul destinations included Croatia, Iceland and Switzerland with the Croatian Kuna currency taking fourth place in the currencies growth table in the UK this year.
"This summer we have seen the first signs that demand for holidays to the eurozone has stabilised and even grown," explained Sarah Munro, the head of travel money at the Post Office.
"In fact the success of Croatia, whose currency has strengthened against sterling this year, suggests that exchange rates are not the main consideration for holidaymakers," she added. "Package prices and resort costs play an important part in decision making."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...