British holidaymakers showing more interest in Mexico and Cancun
Figures from Post Office Travel Money have revealed that more British travellers are choosing breaks to Mexico. Cancun holidays are a popular choice for Brits as a result of cheap all inclusive packages and increased flights from British Airways.
More travellers are choosing Mexico as the destination for their summer holidays according to new figures released by Post Office Travel Money. Sales of the country's currency reveal that there has been a 144 per cent increase in travel to Mexico this summer with Cancun holidays amongst the favourites due to cheaper all inclusive packages and increased flights from British Airways.
The increase in travellers heading to Mexico has brought the country into the top 20 bestselling currencies published by the Post Office for the first time. Earlier this year, Mexican tourism officials assured travellers that the country was safe to visit despite U.S media reporting that it was a dangerous country.
Tourism representatives stated that while some of the county's cities should be avoided because of reported drugs and knife crime the tourist resorts were unaffected and travellers should not be deterred from visiting them. Cancun is a hotspot for travellers with its tropical climate, beautiful sweeping white sand beaches, azure waters and coral reefs, archaeological sites and ruins, and wide selection of luxury Cancun hotels.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can scuba dive beneath the ocean surface to the underwater art museum in the National Marine Park of Cancun, take boat trips in the Nichupte Lagoon, explore the historic sites of Chichen Itza and El Rey, visit the Xcaret Eco-archaeological Park, or relax on white sand beaches.
Earlier this year, British Airways increased the number of flights for travellers planning holidays to Cancun and the airline now operates three weekly services to Cancun from London Gatwick. The Post Office Travel Money figures also showed popular long-haul destinations for British travellers to be Thailand, Barbados, and Australia.
The favourite short-haul destinations included Croatia, Iceland and Switzerland with the Croatian Kuna currency taking fourth place in the currencies growth table in the UK this year.
"This summer we have seen the first signs that demand for holidays to the eurozone has stabilised and even grown," explained Sarah Munro, the head of travel money at the Post Office.
"In fact the success of Croatia, whose currency has strengthened against sterling this year, suggests that exchange rates are not the main consideration for holidaymakers," she added. "Package prices and resort costs play an important part in decision making."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...