Sharm el-Sheikh hotels reach 61 per cent occupancy levels in August
Hotels in the Red Sea resort town of Sharm el Sheik have seen an increase in the number of travellers taking Egypt holidays there since the beginning of August 2011, with occupancy levels reaching 61 per cent, as the country regains stability and security
The seaside resort of Sharm el Sheikh has seen a rise in tourists taking Egypt holidays in the region as hotel occupancy levels reach 61 per cent this month.
According to the chairman of the General Authority for Tourism in South Sinai, Salem Saleh, occupancy levels in five-star Sharm el Sheikh hotels have reached 82 per cent during August, 2011 and hotels in South Sinai have reached 60 per cent.
The chairman added that South Sinai is thriving this month as thousands of international tourists take Egypt holidays to the beautiful Red Sea region. Saleh is expecting even more visitors over the coming weeks after a tourism marketing campaign was recently released by tourism companies in a bid to encourage more more travellers to book holidays to Sharm el Sheikh.
Despite a decline in Egyptian and Arab tourists to Sharm el Sheikh and the nearby resort town of Dahab, the region has recorded an increase in English, Italian and Russian visitors.
During holidays in Sharm el Sheikh, travellers can take part in a wide range of activities including scuba diving, swimming, snorkelling and safaris.
The rise in the number of foreign holidaymakers staying in Egypt hotels is good news for tourism officials as the figures indicate that the country is recovering from its turbulent start to 2011.
In January this year, cities all across Egypt came to a standstill as hundreds of thousands of protestors took to the streets calling for President Hosni Mubarak to step down from his position. The demonstrations soon turned violent and tourists were warned against non-essential travel to Egypt.
The Secretary General of the Egyptian Hotels Association, Hala el-Khatib, said that nationwide occupancy levels during April 2011 declined by 15 per cent compared to the same period in 2010, and hotels in Sharm el Sheikh reported a dismal 11 per cent occupancy in January this year, compared to its usual 75 per cent.
Khatib explained that tourism officials are hopeful that international, Egyptian and Arab tourists will return to Egypt hotspots and the country will regain its position as one of the world’s top holiday destinations. He added that landmarks of the revolution such as Cairo's Tahrir Square, where thousands of Egyptians gathered to protest, are even becoming hotspots on visitors’ travel itineraries.
"Security is getting better day by day. People have a different view of Egypt. They have a more positive view," Khatib concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Seize this opportunity to explore the mystical land of Egypt as you spend a week next to the shores of the mighty Red...