Sharm el-Sheikh hotels reach 61 per cent occupancy levels in August
Hotels in the Red Sea resort town of Sharm el Sheik have seen an increase in the number of travellers taking Egypt holidays there since the beginning of August 2011, with occupancy levels reaching 61 per cent, as the country regains stability and security
The seaside resort of Sharm el Sheikh has seen a rise in tourists taking Egypt holidays in the region as hotel occupancy levels reach 61 per cent this month.
According to the chairman of the General Authority for Tourism in South Sinai, Salem Saleh, occupancy levels in five-star Sharm el Sheikh hotels have reached 82 per cent during August, 2011 and hotels in South Sinai have reached 60 per cent.
The chairman added that South Sinai is thriving this month as thousands of international tourists take Egypt holidays to the beautiful Red Sea region. Saleh is expecting even more visitors over the coming weeks after a tourism marketing campaign was recently released by tourism companies in a bid to encourage more more travellers to book holidays to Sharm el Sheikh.
Despite a decline in Egyptian and Arab tourists to Sharm el Sheikh and the nearby resort town of Dahab, the region has recorded an increase in English, Italian and Russian visitors.
During holidays in Sharm el Sheikh, travellers can take part in a wide range of activities including scuba diving, swimming, snorkelling and safaris.
The rise in the number of foreign holidaymakers staying in Egypt hotels is good news for tourism officials as the figures indicate that the country is recovering from its turbulent start to 2011.
In January this year, cities all across Egypt came to a standstill as hundreds of thousands of protestors took to the streets calling for President Hosni Mubarak to step down from his position. The demonstrations soon turned violent and tourists were warned against non-essential travel to Egypt.
The Secretary General of the Egyptian Hotels Association, Hala el-Khatib, said that nationwide occupancy levels during April 2011 declined by 15 per cent compared to the same period in 2010, and hotels in Sharm el Sheikh reported a dismal 11 per cent occupancy in January this year, compared to its usual 75 per cent.
Khatib explained that tourism officials are hopeful that international, Egyptian and Arab tourists will return to Egypt hotspots and the country will regain its position as one of the world’s top holiday destinations. He added that landmarks of the revolution such as Cairo's Tahrir Square, where thousands of Egyptians gathered to protest, are even becoming hotspots on visitors’ travel itineraries.
"Security is getting better day by day. People have a different view of Egypt. They have a more positive view," Khatib concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Relax on the sandy beach or join in the various activities on offer at his fantastic hotel
- AMC Royal Hotel is set on the sandy beach of the Red Sea in-between Hurghada and El Gouna
- They have various activities on offer at the hotel including a daily animation programme, non motorised water sports and nightly entertainment
- There is various food options available especially at dinner with a buffet nightly themed restaurant, Italian buffet restaurant and a Oriental themed restaurant
Enjoy a Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday with a wide range of activities
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
AMC Royal Hotel is situated on the sandy beach of the Red Sea inbetween Hurghada and El Gouna. The resort overlooks its...
Enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the all-inclusive Hilton Hurghada Resort in Egypt and discover a...
Le Meridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a short...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Get to know some of the most amazing sites in Egypt during a luxurious 15-day stay at the Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers...