Rihanna Joins in Festivities of Traditional Barbados Carnival
International pop star and Barbadian homegirl Rihanna celebrated the traditional festivities of Kadooment Day by dressing in a tiny pair of red pants and bra top and dancing in the street parade of Masquerade Bands during her Barbados holidays this week.
World-famous pop singer, Rihanna, has been taking some time out of her busy schedule to hit the streets of her hometown Barbados to take part in the traditional Cropover festival this week.
The 23-year-old danced on a float wearing just a skimpy red and gold bikini costume and feathered headdress in the street parade of Masquerade Bands which took place on Grand Kadooment Day on Monday 1st August.
Rihanna played up to the crowds of local residents and tourists taking Barbados holidays by blowing kisses and dancing as she partied with friends throughout the day. Grand Kadooment Day marks the official conclusion to the Bajan Cropover festival and hundreds of partygoers take to the streets of Bridgetown where they dance, play music and celebrate local Caribbean culture on the island.
Bajan national, Rihanna, returned to her home island last weekend and wrote on her Twitter page: “My home, my country, my people....BARBADOS!!! #1LOVE #SWEETfahDAYS NOTHIN' BETTER! #RihannaNavy Miss u guys tho.”
Earlier this year, the Barbados Tourist Board appointed Rihanna as the official ambassador for her home country of Barbados and the singer will be returning to her musical duties on Friday 5th August at the Loud Concert in Bridgetown as part of her tour.
Rihanna recently finished the North American leg of her music tour and in September she will head to South America for a series of concerts before travelling to Europe for the rest of the year. The singer is also busy working on her sixth album called Louder.
The Cropover festival is a traditional Bajan event that takes place every year to mark the end of the sugar cane harvest. Starting in July and lasting for five weeks, the festival is the largest in Barbados and attracts thousands of tourists taking Caribbean holidays.
During the events, the island comes alive as visitors flock to Barbados hotels, attractions, restaurants and the tropical pinkish sand beaches, and many Bajans living abroad take this time to return to their homeland to celebrate with family and friends. The festival features music and entertainment, street parades, calypso tents, beach parties, food stalls and colourful vibrant costumes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Stay and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Brilliant Barbados: Kids stay and play upto 16 years old when accompanied by 1 or 2 paying adults
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
- Take advantage of savings up to 30% for travel in 2017 and 2018
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...