Rihanna Joins in Festivities of Traditional Barbados Carnival
International pop star and Barbadian homegirl Rihanna celebrated the traditional festivities of Kadooment Day by dressing in a tiny pair of red pants and bra top and dancing in the street parade of Masquerade Bands during her Barbados holidays this week.
World-famous pop singer, Rihanna, has been taking some time out of her busy schedule to hit the streets of her hometown Barbados to take part in the traditional Cropover festival this week.
The 23-year-old danced on a float wearing just a skimpy red and gold bikini costume and feathered headdress in the street parade of Masquerade Bands which took place on Grand Kadooment Day on Monday 1st August.
Rihanna played up to the crowds of local residents and tourists taking Barbados holidays by blowing kisses and dancing as she partied with friends throughout the day. Grand Kadooment Day marks the official conclusion to the Bajan Cropover festival and hundreds of partygoers take to the streets of Bridgetown where they dance, play music and celebrate local Caribbean culture on the island.
Bajan national, Rihanna, returned to her home island last weekend and wrote on her Twitter page: “My home, my country, my people....BARBADOS!!! #1LOVE #SWEETfahDAYS NOTHIN' BETTER! #RihannaNavy Miss u guys tho.”
Earlier this year, the Barbados Tourist Board appointed Rihanna as the official ambassador for her home country of Barbados and the singer will be returning to her musical duties on Friday 5th August at the Loud Concert in Bridgetown as part of her tour.
Rihanna recently finished the North American leg of her music tour and in September she will head to South America for a series of concerts before travelling to Europe for the rest of the year. The singer is also busy working on her sixth album called Louder.
The Cropover festival is a traditional Bajan event that takes place every year to mark the end of the sugar cane harvest. Starting in July and lasting for five weeks, the festival is the largest in Barbados and attracts thousands of tourists taking Caribbean holidays.
During the events, the island comes alive as visitors flock to Barbados hotels, attractions, restaurants and the tropical pinkish sand beaches, and many Bajans living abroad take this time to return to their homeland to celebrate with family and friends. The festival features music and entertainment, street parades, calypso tents, beach parties, food stalls and colourful vibrant costumes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...