MP calls Caribbean nationals to unite on APD tax
Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom, told the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London that the issue of unfair APD on Caribbean holidays is likely to be solved thanks to the lobbying by Caribbean nationals.
Caribbean nationals living in the United Kingdom have been busy lobbying against the British government’s unfair airline passenger duty (APD) charges, and it appears that their hard work is likely to pay off.
Speaking at the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London recently, Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the UK, told attendees that if Caribbean nationals who are living in the UK work together, the British government could be forced to review the APD.
On 23rd March this year, Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne stated that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months. Though the news was welcomed by those who had already booked Caribbean holidays or were planning to take holidays to the Caribbean over the next 12 months, the APD charges are still amongst the highest in the world.
APD was first introduced in 1994 and since its launch the government has increased the tax by a massive 2,600 per cent, leaving passengers that depart from the UK paying 12 times more APD on flights than the UK’s European neighbours. The air passenger duty is charged according to each group of countries and by the class of travel used by travellers. Tourists visiting Caribbean holiday destinations have to pay an extra £75 per person in economy class.
Jamaica and other Caribbean tourism officials have been lobbying against the unfair APD structuring because the current system means that travellers taking flights to their holidays in the Caribbean are paying more than those on flights to the United States, even though many U.S. flights travel further.
Jamaica’s Prime Minister, Bruce Golding, and the island’s Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, have held meetings with British ministers about the issue, who have since taken the matter to Parliament to be reviewed.
Before the news of the APD freeze earlier this year, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s Secretary General, Hugh Riley, said he hoped that the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be reducing the amount of APD payable so that travellers from the UK and Europe would be encouraged to book Caribbean holidays.
The high APD is having a significant impact on tourism in the region and a knock-on effect on Caribbean hotels and resorts as well as local tourism-related businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...