MP calls Caribbean nationals to unite on APD tax
Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom, told the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London that the issue of unfair APD on Caribbean holidays is likely to be solved thanks to the lobbying by Caribbean nationals.
Caribbean nationals living in the United Kingdom have been busy lobbying against the British government’s unfair airline passenger duty (APD) charges, and it appears that their hard work is likely to pay off.
Speaking at the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London recently, Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the UK, told attendees that if Caribbean nationals who are living in the UK work together, the British government could be forced to review the APD.
On 23rd March this year, Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne stated that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months. Though the news was welcomed by those who had already booked Caribbean holidays or were planning to take holidays to the Caribbean over the next 12 months, the APD charges are still amongst the highest in the world.
APD was first introduced in 1994 and since its launch the government has increased the tax by a massive 2,600 per cent, leaving passengers that depart from the UK paying 12 times more APD on flights than the UK’s European neighbours. The air passenger duty is charged according to each group of countries and by the class of travel used by travellers. Tourists visiting Caribbean holiday destinations have to pay an extra £75 per person in economy class.
Jamaica and other Caribbean tourism officials have been lobbying against the unfair APD structuring because the current system means that travellers taking flights to their holidays in the Caribbean are paying more than those on flights to the United States, even though many U.S. flights travel further.
Jamaica’s Prime Minister, Bruce Golding, and the island’s Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, have held meetings with British ministers about the issue, who have since taken the matter to Parliament to be reviewed.
Before the news of the APD freeze earlier this year, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s Secretary General, Hugh Riley, said he hoped that the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be reducing the amount of APD payable so that travellers from the UK and Europe would be encouraged to book Caribbean holidays.
The high APD is having a significant impact on tourism in the region and a knock-on effect on Caribbean hotels and resorts as well as local tourism-related businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...