MP calls Caribbean nationals to unite on APD tax
Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom, told the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London that the issue of unfair APD on Caribbean holidays is likely to be solved thanks to the lobbying by Caribbean nationals.
Caribbean nationals living in the United Kingdom have been busy lobbying against the British government’s unfair airline passenger duty (APD) charges, and it appears that their hard work is likely to pay off.
Speaking at the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London recently, Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the UK, told attendees that if Caribbean nationals who are living in the UK work together, the British government could be forced to review the APD.
On 23rd March this year, Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne stated that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months. Though the news was welcomed by those who had already booked Caribbean holidays or were planning to take holidays to the Caribbean over the next 12 months, the APD charges are still amongst the highest in the world.
APD was first introduced in 1994 and since its launch the government has increased the tax by a massive 2,600 per cent, leaving passengers that depart from the UK paying 12 times more APD on flights than the UK’s European neighbours. The air passenger duty is charged according to each group of countries and by the class of travel used by travellers. Tourists visiting Caribbean holiday destinations have to pay an extra £75 per person in economy class.
Jamaica and other Caribbean tourism officials have been lobbying against the unfair APD structuring because the current system means that travellers taking flights to their holidays in the Caribbean are paying more than those on flights to the United States, even though many U.S. flights travel further.
Jamaica’s Prime Minister, Bruce Golding, and the island’s Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, have held meetings with British ministers about the issue, who have since taken the matter to Parliament to be reviewed.
Before the news of the APD freeze earlier this year, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s Secretary General, Hugh Riley, said he hoped that the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be reducing the amount of APD payable so that travellers from the UK and Europe would be encouraged to book Caribbean holidays.
The high APD is having a significant impact on tourism in the region and a knock-on effect on Caribbean hotels and resorts as well as local tourism-related businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...