MP calls Caribbean nationals to unite on APD tax
Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom, told the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London that the issue of unfair APD on Caribbean holidays is likely to be solved thanks to the lobbying by Caribbean nationals.
Caribbean nationals living in the United Kingdom have been busy lobbying against the British government’s unfair airline passenger duty (APD) charges, and it appears that their hard work is likely to pay off.
Speaking at the Caribbean Question Time meeting in London recently, Julian Smith, the Conservative Member of Parliament in the UK, told attendees that if Caribbean nationals who are living in the UK work together, the British government could be forced to review the APD.
On 23rd March this year, Britain’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne stated that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months. Though the news was welcomed by those who had already booked Caribbean holidays or were planning to take holidays to the Caribbean over the next 12 months, the APD charges are still amongst the highest in the world.
APD was first introduced in 1994 and since its launch the government has increased the tax by a massive 2,600 per cent, leaving passengers that depart from the UK paying 12 times more APD on flights than the UK’s European neighbours. The air passenger duty is charged according to each group of countries and by the class of travel used by travellers. Tourists visiting Caribbean holiday destinations have to pay an extra £75 per person in economy class.
Jamaica and other Caribbean tourism officials have been lobbying against the unfair APD structuring because the current system means that travellers taking flights to their holidays in the Caribbean are paying more than those on flights to the United States, even though many U.S. flights travel further.
Jamaica’s Prime Minister, Bruce Golding, and the island’s Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, have held meetings with British ministers about the issue, who have since taken the matter to Parliament to be reviewed.
Before the news of the APD freeze earlier this year, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s Secretary General, Hugh Riley, said he hoped that the Chancellor of the Exchequer would be reducing the amount of APD payable so that travellers from the UK and Europe would be encouraged to book Caribbean holidays.
The high APD is having a significant impact on tourism in the region and a knock-on effect on Caribbean hotels and resorts as well as local tourism-related businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...