Falmouth Pier Brings over 50,000 cruisers to Jamaica holidays in April 2011
The newly-opened Falmouth cruise ship pier welcomed 50,700 tourists who took Jamaica holidays in the month of April alone, leading to a 41 per cent increase in the total number of cruise passengers arriving that month through all four of Jamaica's ports.
The opening of the cruise ship pier in Falmouth has led to a significant increase in tourists taking Jamaica holidays in April this year.
According to figures from the Jamaica Tourist Board and the Port Authority of Jamaica, 50,700 cruise passengers arrived to their holidays in Jamaica during the month of April, generating US$4.4 million to the Caribbean island’s economy.
The opening of the brand new pier also contributed to a 41 per cent increase in April’s total number of cruise passengers arriving at Jamaica’s four ports; Port Antonio, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Falmouth.
The Falmouth pier opened in February this year and during its first three months nearly 100,000 tourists arrived on their cruise holidays to Jamaica, along with 34,650 crew members and passengers’ spending generating approximately US$8.7 million.
The first cruise liner was welcomed to Falmouth on 17th February 2011 and the pier officially opened to tourists arriving aboard cruise ships in March. Construction continues at the pier and once completed, the marine facility will have a terminal building which will accommodate port security, immigration control and customs; restaurants and shops; a transportation centre; Jamaica hotels; and several onsite attractions and cultural features.
The port currently features modern high-tech facilities and the capacity for at least two mega ships, which allows different cruise liners to bring their passengers to their Jamaica stopovers at the same time.
The Port Authority of Jamaica invested US$167 million into the development of the Falmouth Pier, along with US$102 million from the Royal Caribbean Cruise Limited (RCCL).
Until recently, Ocho Rios held the record for the most cruise arrivals in Jamaica but the latest figures have put the new Falmouth pier in the lead. Despite this, the Port Authority of Jamaica is keen to maintain the competiveness between the piers.
"To further capitalise on developments in the cruise industry and maintain a secured position in this area, plans are also in place to upgrade the Ocho Rios cruise ship pier," stated the Jamaica Public Bodies 2011-12 Report.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Limited has promised to bring eight million cruise ship passengers to Jamaica holidays over the next ten years. The cruise company will be docking an Oasis-class ship in Falmouth Pier until at least 2013, bringing 6,000 passengers and 2,000 crew members to the idyllic Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....