"Taste of the Caribbean" contest showcases the best of the best in Miami
Attendees of the Taste of the Caribbean contest, which was held at the Hyatt Regency Miami this week, were treated to seminars, demonstrations, competitions and tastings of the delicious food which can be found across the region during Caribbean holidays.
This year’s "Taste the Caribbean" consumer programme and contest was held at the Hyatt Regency Miami this week and attendees from Caribbean hotels and resorts all over the region battled it out for prestigious titles.
The Taste of the Islands Competition started on Friday 24th June at 7pm where ten teams each created culinary delights including two savoury tastings, one delicious dessert, and a rum-based cocktail.
The events started early again on Saturday morning with the Wedding Cake Demonstration that was presented by the famous chef and owner of The International Sugar Art Collection, Nicholas Lodge. Lodge demonstrated the advantages of using the Massa Couture Orange Rolled Fondant Collection and the new Pastry Ideale Gel colours when decorating cakes.
Bar tenders who worked at Caribbean hotels and regularly showed off their cocktail shaking skills for tourists during Caribbean holidays, battled against each other at 9am on Saturday morning in the Bartender Competition where they had to use their creativity and knowledge to come up with a unique vodka-based cocktail.
The Caribbean teams then demonstrated their culinary skills in the International Caribbean Culinary Team Challenge at lunchtime where teams from Anguilla, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, Curacao and Jamaica each had to prepare a three-course lunch with wines.
As the afternoon went on, visitors to the event attended the "Nourishing Your Soul" workshop where Chef Scott Neuman from Portland’s Oba Restaurant shared his techniques for creating perfect classic Latin American and Spanish street food and entrée recipes.
Other events throughout the evening included a rum-based bartender competition; Entertaining with Cheese workshop with Chef Jon Ashton and Diahann Smith; and the International Caribbean Culinary Team Challenge where the Caribbean teams prepared a three-course evening meal.
Taste of the Caribbean is organised by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) and is a competition-style event that highlights the Caribbean’s most talented workers within the Caribbean culinary industry, with awarded titles including “Bartender of the Year”, “Chef of the Year”, “Pastry Chef of the Year”, “Junior Chef of the Year”, and “National Team of the Year.”
Culinary teams originated from some of the region’s most popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean, including the British Virgin Islands, Curacao, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, United States Virgin Islands, Anguilla, The Bahamas, and Barbados.
The CHTA was established in 1962 and builds partnerships between businesses within the hotel and tourism industry and private members of the Caribbean holidays sector. The organisation has 850 Caribbean hotel members and works hard to develop the tourism and hospitality industry to ensure that travellers taking holidays to the Caribbean receive the best service and a memorable experience.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...