"Taste of the Caribbean" contest showcases the best of the best in Miami
Attendees of the Taste of the Caribbean contest, which was held at the Hyatt Regency Miami this week, were treated to seminars, demonstrations, competitions and tastings of the delicious food which can be found across the region during Caribbean holidays.
This year’s "Taste the Caribbean" consumer programme and contest was held at the Hyatt Regency Miami this week and attendees from Caribbean hotels and resorts all over the region battled it out for prestigious titles.
The Taste of the Islands Competition started on Friday 24th June at 7pm where ten teams each created culinary delights including two savoury tastings, one delicious dessert, and a rum-based cocktail.
The events started early again on Saturday morning with the Wedding Cake Demonstration that was presented by the famous chef and owner of The International Sugar Art Collection, Nicholas Lodge. Lodge demonstrated the advantages of using the Massa Couture Orange Rolled Fondant Collection and the new Pastry Ideale Gel colours when decorating cakes.
Bar tenders who worked at Caribbean hotels and regularly showed off their cocktail shaking skills for tourists during Caribbean holidays, battled against each other at 9am on Saturday morning in the Bartender Competition where they had to use their creativity and knowledge to come up with a unique vodka-based cocktail.
The Caribbean teams then demonstrated their culinary skills in the International Caribbean Culinary Team Challenge at lunchtime where teams from Anguilla, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, Curacao and Jamaica each had to prepare a three-course lunch with wines.
As the afternoon went on, visitors to the event attended the "Nourishing Your Soul" workshop where Chef Scott Neuman from Portland’s Oba Restaurant shared his techniques for creating perfect classic Latin American and Spanish street food and entrée recipes.
Other events throughout the evening included a rum-based bartender competition; Entertaining with Cheese workshop with Chef Jon Ashton and Diahann Smith; and the International Caribbean Culinary Team Challenge where the Caribbean teams prepared a three-course evening meal.
Taste of the Caribbean is organised by the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) and is a competition-style event that highlights the Caribbean’s most talented workers within the Caribbean culinary industry, with awarded titles including “Bartender of the Year”, “Chef of the Year”, “Pastry Chef of the Year”, “Junior Chef of the Year”, and “National Team of the Year.”
Culinary teams originated from some of the region’s most popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean, including the British Virgin Islands, Curacao, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, United States Virgin Islands, Anguilla, The Bahamas, and Barbados.
The CHTA was established in 1962 and builds partnerships between businesses within the hotel and tourism industry and private members of the Caribbean holidays sector. The organisation has 850 Caribbean hotel members and works hard to develop the tourism and hospitality industry to ensure that travellers taking holidays to the Caribbean receive the best service and a memorable experience.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...