Jumeirah hotels release rehabilitated turtles on World Sea Turtle Day
Hotel guests enjoying Dubai holidays at Burj Al Arab and Madinat Jumeirah helped release 101 endangered hawksbill turtles back into the sea on World Sea Turtle Day. The turtles were released to their natural habitat following months of rehabilitation.
Tourists taking Dubai holidays have been doing their bit for the environment by helping the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project to successfully release 101 turtles back into the sea.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project released the endangered hawksbill turtles back into their native waters following months of rehabilitation at Dubai hotels, Burj Al Arab and Madinat Jumeirah.
The turtles were helped along on their journey with the aid of 101 children including pupils from a local school, competition winners, and tourists who were taking Dubai holidays at either of these luxury hotels.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project is based at the Burj Al Arab and Madinat Jumeirah resort and has been running since 2004 with the help of Dubai’s Wildlife Protection Office.
The event took place on the beach of Madinat Jumeirah on 16th June to celebrate World Sea Turtle Day, and was attended by large crowds of local residents and holidaymakers who took the time to help out during their luxury holidays there. Younger visitors took part in children’s’ activities and were treated to a taste of Jumeirah hospitality while the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project highlighted marine conservation, the importance of rehabilitating the beautiful sea creatures, and the risks that turtles faced to avoid extinction.
Over the last three decades, there has been an 87 per cent decline in the population of hawksbill turtles and the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation Project has been working hard to protect these species.
The rehabilitation project is a joint mission between the Wildlife Protection Office and Jumeirah’s Aquarium team. Since it started in 2004, the project has rescued and released over 500 turtles that have washed up on the beaches of Dubai, with the help of veterinary support from the Dubai Falcon Clinic and the Central Veterinary Research Laboratory.
The Madinat Jumeirah is one of the most luxurious resorts for impeccable Dubai holidays featuring two lavish boutique hotels, the Talise Spa and Wellness Services, Dubai’s leading conference and banqueting centre, the Quay Health Club, an array of recreational facilities, and a traditional souk.
Burj Al Arab is Dubai’s famous seven-star hotel, located on an artificial island 280 metres from Jumeirah beach. The hotel’s iconic structure resembles the sail of an Arabian dhow and soars 321 metres into the sky.
The Jumeirah-managed hotel comprises 28 double-storey floors with 202 guest suites; gourmet restaurants including Al Mahara which features a seawater aquarium, Al Iwan, Al Muntaha, Bab Al Yam, and Junsui; and the lavish Assawan Spa and Health Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...