Mexico Tourism shows signs of recovery
Despite the recent safety warnings issued by the United States, the last 12 months have shown significant signs of recovery for Mexico's tourism industry and travel giant Expedia has bumped up Mexico holidays amongst its top 3 destinations in the world.
A travel report by travel giant Expedia Mexico has unveiled that Mexico holidays are on the rise and according to Tourism Secretary, Gloria Guevara Manzo; the country is achieving "real and sustained progress in making Mexico safe and secure."
Hotel.com, a website owned by Expedia, has reported that bookings for Mexico holidays have increased by 25% over the past 12 months. Credit card operator, Visa, stated that "people spent 10% more (from $4 billion in 2009 to $4.4 billion in 2010) on their credit cards" during holidays to Mexico over the past year.
The good news is being welcomed by the Mexican tourism industry which has been suffering both during the global economic crisis and over the past few months following the travel safety concerns issued by the United States.
Gloria Guevara Manzo addressed the American Media recently saying: "I would say that people can go to all the tourist destinations because all the tourist destinations are fine. It depends on whatever you like, but there are a lot of places you should visit and have a great time. Stay away from a couple of cities within the border."
The U.S Department recently urged travellers against travel to the Mexican states of Tamaulipas and Michoacán, and areas including Sonora, Jalisco, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sinaloa, Zacatecas, and San Luis Potosi due to an increase in drug violence and crime.
Guevara stated: "My message is: Mexico is a pretty large country. We do have a challenge, but Mexico has the equivalent of 2,500 counties. Eighty of those are the ones having the challenge. That’s less than 4 per cent.
"What I tell the travellers is they need to get a map. It would be very helpful for them to understand what cities are involved. They might have trouble in Juarez; 2,000 miles from there is totally safe. It’s like in the U.S: If there is an issue in L.A, does that mean that you don’t go to New York? Or if there is an issue in Las Vegas, do you not go to Chicago?"
Holidays in the Yucatan Peninsula, specially Cancun and the Riviera Maya, are amongst the most popular for many travellers who head to Mexico. The coastal region boasts pristine white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, colourful coral reef, lush tropical forests and an array of ancient archaeological Mayan sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....