Mexico Tourism shows signs of recovery
Despite the recent safety warnings issued by the United States, the last 12 months have shown significant signs of recovery for Mexico's tourism industry and travel giant Expedia has bumped up Mexico holidays amongst its top 3 destinations in the world.
A travel report by travel giant Expedia Mexico has unveiled that Mexico holidays are on the rise and according to Tourism Secretary, Gloria Guevara Manzo; the country is achieving "real and sustained progress in making Mexico safe and secure."
Hotel.com, a website owned by Expedia, has reported that bookings for Mexico holidays have increased by 25% over the past 12 months. Credit card operator, Visa, stated that "people spent 10% more (from $4 billion in 2009 to $4.4 billion in 2010) on their credit cards" during holidays to Mexico over the past year.
The good news is being welcomed by the Mexican tourism industry which has been suffering both during the global economic crisis and over the past few months following the travel safety concerns issued by the United States.
Gloria Guevara Manzo addressed the American Media recently saying: "I would say that people can go to all the tourist destinations because all the tourist destinations are fine. It depends on whatever you like, but there are a lot of places you should visit and have a great time. Stay away from a couple of cities within the border."
The U.S Department recently urged travellers against travel to the Mexican states of Tamaulipas and Michoacán, and areas including Sonora, Jalisco, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sinaloa, Zacatecas, and San Luis Potosi due to an increase in drug violence and crime.
Guevara stated: "My message is: Mexico is a pretty large country. We do have a challenge, but Mexico has the equivalent of 2,500 counties. Eighty of those are the ones having the challenge. That’s less than 4 per cent.
"What I tell the travellers is they need to get a map. It would be very helpful for them to understand what cities are involved. They might have trouble in Juarez; 2,000 miles from there is totally safe. It’s like in the U.S: If there is an issue in L.A, does that mean that you don’t go to New York? Or if there is an issue in Las Vegas, do you not go to Chicago?"
Holidays in the Yucatan Peninsula, specially Cancun and the Riviera Maya, are amongst the most popular for many travellers who head to Mexico. The coastal region boasts pristine white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, colourful coral reef, lush tropical forests and an array of ancient archaeological Mayan sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...