Mexico Tourism shows signs of recovery
Despite the recent safety warnings issued by the United States, the last 12 months have shown significant signs of recovery for Mexico's tourism industry and travel giant Expedia has bumped up Mexico holidays amongst its top 3 destinations in the world.
A travel report by travel giant Expedia Mexico has unveiled that Mexico holidays are on the rise and according to Tourism Secretary, Gloria Guevara Manzo; the country is achieving "real and sustained progress in making Mexico safe and secure."
Hotel.com, a website owned by Expedia, has reported that bookings for Mexico holidays have increased by 25% over the past 12 months. Credit card operator, Visa, stated that "people spent 10% more (from $4 billion in 2009 to $4.4 billion in 2010) on their credit cards" during holidays to Mexico over the past year.
The good news is being welcomed by the Mexican tourism industry which has been suffering both during the global economic crisis and over the past few months following the travel safety concerns issued by the United States.
Gloria Guevara Manzo addressed the American Media recently saying: "I would say that people can go to all the tourist destinations because all the tourist destinations are fine. It depends on whatever you like, but there are a lot of places you should visit and have a great time. Stay away from a couple of cities within the border."
The U.S Department recently urged travellers against travel to the Mexican states of Tamaulipas and Michoacán, and areas including Sonora, Jalisco, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sinaloa, Zacatecas, and San Luis Potosi due to an increase in drug violence and crime.
Guevara stated: "My message is: Mexico is a pretty large country. We do have a challenge, but Mexico has the equivalent of 2,500 counties. Eighty of those are the ones having the challenge. That’s less than 4 per cent.
"What I tell the travellers is they need to get a map. It would be very helpful for them to understand what cities are involved. They might have trouble in Juarez; 2,000 miles from there is totally safe. It’s like in the U.S: If there is an issue in L.A, does that mean that you don’t go to New York? Or if there is an issue in Las Vegas, do you not go to Chicago?"
Holidays in the Yucatan Peninsula, specially Cancun and the Riviera Maya, are amongst the most popular for many travellers who head to Mexico. The coastal region boasts pristine white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, colourful coral reef, lush tropical forests and an array of ancient archaeological Mayan sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Krysal Ixtapa has a fantastic location on one of the best beaches in Ixtapa's hotel district. Enjoy a stay at this sunny...