Sandals Resorts hint at possible expansion into Mexico
The Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, Gordon "Butch" Stewart, has revealed that the Caribbean hotel chain could be looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into the Mexico and Cancun holidays sector over the next twelve months.
Gordon “Butch” Stewart, Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, has hinted that the hotel group is looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into Mexico. Butch said: “This is something we’ve actually been trying to do since ’87 and ’88, but we are still hunting.”
In a recent industry gathering the President of Unique Vacations Inc, a division of Sandals Resort Inc, Kevin Froemming, said that the company, which specialises in providing luxury Caribbean resorts and hotels, are serious about seeking an area in Mexico.
One of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, Cancun, could be the chosen area for new Sandals resorts in the future.
Thousands of travellers go on Cancun holidays every year and the region is home to some of the country’s most beautiful natural landscapes including pristine, white sand beaches, turquoise waters, dense mangroves and breathtaking cenotes.
The city boasts a thriving nightlife with plenty of restaurants, bars and Cancun hotels for foreign visitors to choose from. The city centre is located on the mainland which connects Nichupte and its lagoons to a narrow 7-shaped island that is home to an array of Cancun hotels and resorts. The Nichupté Lagoon is a popular place for jet-ski jungle tours, boat trips and scuba diving during Cancun holidays.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo in eastern Mexico, Cancun is also a fantastic spot for scuba diving holidays. The warm azure waters boast an abundance of diverse marine life and divers will have the chance to explore a wide range of diving sites along the coral reef as well as explore the famous underwater museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor.
The perfect complement to the relaxation of a luxury holiday in Cancun, is the easy access to the nearby ancient Mayan archaeological sites in the Riviera Maya such as Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum which will allow holidaymakers to mix the beach experience with some unmissable sightseeing excursions.
The news of the possible Sandals expansion is being welcomed by Chief operating officer of the Mexico Tourism Board, Rodolfo Lopez Negrete Coppel, who said: “A Sandals in Mexico would be a perfect fit. That is definitely something we would be welcome.”
Sandals Resorts currently operates a number of properties across the Caribbean in popular holiday destinations such as St Lucia, Jamaica, Antigua and The Bahamas. The company also operates hotels in the Caribbean under Beaches, Grand Pineapple, Fowl Cay Resorts, and Private Villas brands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...