Sandals Resorts hint at possible expansion into Mexico
The Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, Gordon "Butch" Stewart, has revealed that the Caribbean hotel chain could be looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into the Mexico and Cancun holidays sector over the next twelve months.
Gordon “Butch” Stewart, Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, has hinted that the hotel group is looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into Mexico. Butch said: “This is something we’ve actually been trying to do since ’87 and ’88, but we are still hunting.”
In a recent industry gathering the President of Unique Vacations Inc, a division of Sandals Resort Inc, Kevin Froemming, said that the company, which specialises in providing luxury Caribbean resorts and hotels, are serious about seeking an area in Mexico.
One of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, Cancun, could be the chosen area for new Sandals resorts in the future.
Thousands of travellers go on Cancun holidays every year and the region is home to some of the country’s most beautiful natural landscapes including pristine, white sand beaches, turquoise waters, dense mangroves and breathtaking cenotes.
The city boasts a thriving nightlife with plenty of restaurants, bars and Cancun hotels for foreign visitors to choose from. The city centre is located on the mainland which connects Nichupte and its lagoons to a narrow 7-shaped island that is home to an array of Cancun hotels and resorts. The Nichupté Lagoon is a popular place for jet-ski jungle tours, boat trips and scuba diving during Cancun holidays.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo in eastern Mexico, Cancun is also a fantastic spot for scuba diving holidays. The warm azure waters boast an abundance of diverse marine life and divers will have the chance to explore a wide range of diving sites along the coral reef as well as explore the famous underwater museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor.
The perfect complement to the relaxation of a luxury holiday in Cancun, is the easy access to the nearby ancient Mayan archaeological sites in the Riviera Maya such as Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum which will allow holidaymakers to mix the beach experience with some unmissable sightseeing excursions.
The news of the possible Sandals expansion is being welcomed by Chief operating officer of the Mexico Tourism Board, Rodolfo Lopez Negrete Coppel, who said: “A Sandals in Mexico would be a perfect fit. That is definitely something we would be welcome.”
Sandals Resorts currently operates a number of properties across the Caribbean in popular holiday destinations such as St Lucia, Jamaica, Antigua and The Bahamas. The company also operates hotels in the Caribbean under Beaches, Grand Pineapple, Fowl Cay Resorts, and Private Villas brands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...