Sandals Resorts hint at possible expansion into Mexico
The Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, Gordon "Butch" Stewart, has revealed that the Caribbean hotel chain could be looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into the Mexico and Cancun holidays sector over the next twelve months.
Gordon “Butch” Stewart, Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, has hinted that the hotel group is looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into Mexico. Butch said: “This is something we’ve actually been trying to do since ’87 and ’88, but we are still hunting.”
In a recent industry gathering the President of Unique Vacations Inc, a division of Sandals Resort Inc, Kevin Froemming, said that the company, which specialises in providing luxury Caribbean resorts and hotels, are serious about seeking an area in Mexico.
One of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, Cancun, could be the chosen area for new Sandals resorts in the future.
Thousands of travellers go on Cancun holidays every year and the region is home to some of the country’s most beautiful natural landscapes including pristine, white sand beaches, turquoise waters, dense mangroves and breathtaking cenotes.
The city boasts a thriving nightlife with plenty of restaurants, bars and Cancun hotels for foreign visitors to choose from. The city centre is located on the mainland which connects Nichupte and its lagoons to a narrow 7-shaped island that is home to an array of Cancun hotels and resorts. The Nichupté Lagoon is a popular place for jet-ski jungle tours, boat trips and scuba diving during Cancun holidays.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo in eastern Mexico, Cancun is also a fantastic spot for scuba diving holidays. The warm azure waters boast an abundance of diverse marine life and divers will have the chance to explore a wide range of diving sites along the coral reef as well as explore the famous underwater museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor.
The perfect complement to the relaxation of a luxury holiday in Cancun, is the easy access to the nearby ancient Mayan archaeological sites in the Riviera Maya such as Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum which will allow holidaymakers to mix the beach experience with some unmissable sightseeing excursions.
The news of the possible Sandals expansion is being welcomed by Chief operating officer of the Mexico Tourism Board, Rodolfo Lopez Negrete Coppel, who said: “A Sandals in Mexico would be a perfect fit. That is definitely something we would be welcome.”
Sandals Resorts currently operates a number of properties across the Caribbean in popular holiday destinations such as St Lucia, Jamaica, Antigua and The Bahamas. The company also operates hotels in the Caribbean under Beaches, Grand Pineapple, Fowl Cay Resorts, and Private Villas brands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Experience the exclusivity of Ras Al Khaimah from a luxury retreat at this stunning beachfront resort
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...