Sandals Resorts hint at possible expansion into Mexico
The Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, Gordon "Butch" Stewart, has revealed that the Caribbean hotel chain could be looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into the Mexico and Cancun holidays sector over the next twelve months.
Gordon “Butch” Stewart, Chairman of Sandals and Beaches Resorts, has hinted that the hotel group is looking to expand its Caribbean collection of resorts into Mexico. Butch said: “This is something we’ve actually been trying to do since ’87 and ’88, but we are still hunting.”
In a recent industry gathering the President of Unique Vacations Inc, a division of Sandals Resort Inc, Kevin Froemming, said that the company, which specialises in providing luxury Caribbean resorts and hotels, are serious about seeking an area in Mexico.
One of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, Cancun, could be the chosen area for new Sandals resorts in the future.
Thousands of travellers go on Cancun holidays every year and the region is home to some of the country’s most beautiful natural landscapes including pristine, white sand beaches, turquoise waters, dense mangroves and breathtaking cenotes.
The city boasts a thriving nightlife with plenty of restaurants, bars and Cancun hotels for foreign visitors to choose from. The city centre is located on the mainland which connects Nichupte and its lagoons to a narrow 7-shaped island that is home to an array of Cancun hotels and resorts. The Nichupté Lagoon is a popular place for jet-ski jungle tours, boat trips and scuba diving during Cancun holidays.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula in the state of Quintana Roo in eastern Mexico, Cancun is also a fantastic spot for scuba diving holidays. The warm azure waters boast an abundance of diverse marine life and divers will have the chance to explore a wide range of diving sites along the coral reef as well as explore the famous underwater museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor.
The perfect complement to the relaxation of a luxury holiday in Cancun, is the easy access to the nearby ancient Mayan archaeological sites in the Riviera Maya such as Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum which will allow holidaymakers to mix the beach experience with some unmissable sightseeing excursions.
The news of the possible Sandals expansion is being welcomed by Chief operating officer of the Mexico Tourism Board, Rodolfo Lopez Negrete Coppel, who said: “A Sandals in Mexico would be a perfect fit. That is definitely something we would be welcome.”
Sandals Resorts currently operates a number of properties across the Caribbean in popular holiday destinations such as St Lucia, Jamaica, Antigua and The Bahamas. The company also operates hotels in the Caribbean under Beaches, Grand Pineapple, Fowl Cay Resorts, and Private Villas brands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Exclusive India Sale, Enjoy Huge reductions on all our tours must be booked by 31 August 2017
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...