Costa Rica's new tourism minister to support small businesses
Costa Rica's President, Vice President and the new tourism minister are putting forward plans to improve and develop small business, while launching a campaign to attract airlines and tourism offerings for Costa Rica holidays.
The new Tourism Minister for Costa Rica, Allan Flores, has announced plans to improve and develop small and mid-size businesses in the country by offering support to private investors, with the help of President Laura Chinchilla and Vice President Luis Liberman.
Flores has also launched a series of campaigns to attract new airlines and companies that will help make the country a conference centre hub as well as a desirable destination for Costa Rica holidays not only in the traditional eco sector but also targeting business travellers.
"In the first place, I, along with the [ICT] board of directors, have decided to strengthen marketing and promotion strategies, which are the backbone of our institution and the essence of what we do here. Selling the country is what it’s all about", Flores explained.
"Second, building an international conference centre will allow the country to be part of a very profitable business, which is conference centre tourism. ICT has already established a plan to build a new centre on 25 acres of land in Heredia (north of San José). The total cost will be $30 million; $10 million will be financed by the ICT and the rest by Banco Nacional and Banco de Costa Rica.
Third, he said: "we are working on a strategic sustainability plan. We want to educate private firms on how to deal with sewage, how to implement renewable energy sources and how to encourage sustainable business models. All this will become added value for our national tourism policy, and it will be the reason why tourists will continue coming to our country in the long term".
Costa Rica holidays are popular for travellers searching for eco-friendly attractions, nature tours, natural landscapes and there are many "green" hotels in Costa Rica operating within sustainable resources and blending with the country exhuberant landscape.
The beautiful country offers plenty of adventures for tourists taking holidays in Costa Rica including trekking through rainforests, scuba diving with turtles, surfing, climbing volcanoes, exploring the protected national parks and the abundance of wildlife.
Liberman added that the businesses play a huge role in attracting tourists to visit Costa Rica, saying: “Micro, small and medium-sized businesses are large providers of employment in our country and are a necessary motor for social and economic integration. I am sure that the more we work with them, the more that will translate into prosperity.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...