Please don't kill the Caribbean tourism industry
The Director General of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) has revealed his disappointment over the way Caribbean governments have "practically killed the tourism industry" with unfair and excessive taxes applied to Caribbean Holidays.
Alec Sanguinetti, the Director General of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) has expressed his disappointment that the increasing taxes have "practically killed the tourism industry”.
Sanguinetti spoke of his concerns during the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference (CHTIC) at the Iberostar Hotel and Resort in Montego Bay in Jamaica, saying that Caribbean governments were to blame and that “we have repeatedly said that Government must not kill the golden goose, but the goose is already half dead. There is not much more to kill".
He added: “We (the industry) have become the bullseye for taxation by governments."
Sanguinetti had repeatedly asked governments to put a hold on any further taxes on Caribbean holidays and the tourism sector as the taxation was making the industry unprofitable. Tourism is responsible for 2.8 per cent of the Caribbean’s gross domestic product (GDP) and the region heavily relies on the revenue acquired from international tourist arrivals.
Though foreign travellers are continuing to take St Lucia, Bahamas, Barbados, and Jamaica holidays and trips to many more of the region’s tropical islands, the increasing taxes are making it difficult for any profits to be made.
Earlier this year, Britain’s Finance Minister delivered his budget where he addressed the Airport Passenger Duty (APD) tax and announced that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months.
Despite the freeze being good news for travellers taking Caribbean holidays over the next year, officials believe that the tax will be increased even more next year to make up for the loss. Sanguinetti added that the lack of flights to the region was still a significant concern for the industry, and said: “We are recovering from the unstable global crisis and tourism must be given key, top priority.”
Efforts are being made to encourage travellers to book holidays in the Caribbean and the region is seeing the development of new hotels and holiday resorts, but unless the taxation issues are addressed, the region’s future could be trouble.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...