Please don't kill the Caribbean tourism industry
The Director General of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) has revealed his disappointment over the way Caribbean governments have "practically killed the tourism industry" with unfair and excessive taxes applied to Caribbean Holidays.
Alec Sanguinetti, the Director General of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA) has expressed his disappointment that the increasing taxes have "practically killed the tourism industry”.
Sanguinetti spoke of his concerns during the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference (CHTIC) at the Iberostar Hotel and Resort in Montego Bay in Jamaica, saying that Caribbean governments were to blame and that “we have repeatedly said that Government must not kill the golden goose, but the goose is already half dead. There is not much more to kill".
He added: “We (the industry) have become the bullseye for taxation by governments."
Sanguinetti had repeatedly asked governments to put a hold on any further taxes on Caribbean holidays and the tourism sector as the taxation was making the industry unprofitable. Tourism is responsible for 2.8 per cent of the Caribbean’s gross domestic product (GDP) and the region heavily relies on the revenue acquired from international tourist arrivals.
Though foreign travellers are continuing to take St Lucia, Bahamas, Barbados, and Jamaica holidays and trips to many more of the region’s tropical islands, the increasing taxes are making it difficult for any profits to be made.
Earlier this year, Britain’s Finance Minister delivered his budget where he addressed the Airport Passenger Duty (APD) tax and announced that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months.
Despite the freeze being good news for travellers taking Caribbean holidays over the next year, officials believe that the tax will be increased even more next year to make up for the loss. Sanguinetti added that the lack of flights to the region was still a significant concern for the industry, and said: “We are recovering from the unstable global crisis and tourism must be given key, top priority.”
Efforts are being made to encourage travellers to book holidays in the Caribbean and the region is seeing the development of new hotels and holiday resorts, but unless the taxation issues are addressed, the region’s future could be trouble.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...