Varadero Golf Club hosts International Golf Tournaments
Golf in Cuba is beginning to take off once again following the Montecristo Golf Cup and the Esencia 2011 Cup which took place last month at the Varadero Golf Club and saw more than 65 players participating in the tournaments.
Golfing enthusiasts enjoyed some competitive golf in Cuba recently after taking part in the annual Montecristo Golf Cup and the Esencia 2011 Cup last month at the Varadero Golf Club in Varadero Beach, Matanzas, Cuba.
The golf tournaments took place in April and were hosted by the Varadero Golf Club and Palmares SA in association with the Esencia Group. The tournaments took place on 15th and 16th April and were open to golfing players with a handicap of 24 or under for men and 30 or under for women.
The 2011 Montecristo Cup was awarded to the best individual net score over the two-day tournament, Mr Dionisio Garcia Esquivias from Spain, who received a fine watch from Cuervo y Sobrinos watchmakers in Havana. The runners up were Ms Kim from Korea and Mr Steve Williams from Canada. The Esencia Cup was won by Mr Daniel Batista from Cuba, who received an original painting by the renowned Cuban artist Ernesto Villanueva.
British golfer Tony Jacklin, winner of The Open and the U.S. Open, said: "Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses. The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game ... plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball."
Situated close to Varadero Beach, the Varadero Golf Club is the largest golf club in Cuba and boasts 18 holes across 69 hectares, several salt water lakes which connect directly with the sea, an elevated green protected by bunkers, a driving range, two putting greens, a chipping green, two practice bunkers, and breathtaking views of the sparkling azure ocean.
Designed by Canadian golf architect, Les Furber, the golf course runs from the San Bernardino Hill, the highest point at Varadero beach, all the way down. The clubhouse, Xanadu Mansion, is situated on the hilltop and features luxury guestrooms and a bar with panoramic views of the golf course, Varadero Beach and the ocean.
The five-star beachfront hotel, Melia Las Americas, offers the perfect setting for travellers playing golf in Cuba and is the only hotel in Cuba to offer direct access to the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...