Varadero Golf Club hosts International Golf Tournaments
Golf in Cuba is beginning to take off once again following the Montecristo Golf Cup and the Esencia 2011 Cup which took place last month at the Varadero Golf Club and saw more than 65 players participating in the tournaments.
Golfing enthusiasts enjoyed some competitive golf in Cuba recently after taking part in the annual Montecristo Golf Cup and the Esencia 2011 Cup last month at the Varadero Golf Club in Varadero Beach, Matanzas, Cuba.
The golf tournaments took place in April and were hosted by the Varadero Golf Club and Palmares SA in association with the Esencia Group. The tournaments took place on 15th and 16th April and were open to golfing players with a handicap of 24 or under for men and 30 or under for women.
The 2011 Montecristo Cup was awarded to the best individual net score over the two-day tournament, Mr Dionisio Garcia Esquivias from Spain, who received a fine watch from Cuervo y Sobrinos watchmakers in Havana. The runners up were Ms Kim from Korea and Mr Steve Williams from Canada. The Esencia Cup was won by Mr Daniel Batista from Cuba, who received an original painting by the renowned Cuban artist Ernesto Villanueva.
British golfer Tony Jacklin, winner of The Open and the U.S. Open, said: "Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses. The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game ... plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball."
Situated close to Varadero Beach, the Varadero Golf Club is the largest golf club in Cuba and boasts 18 holes across 69 hectares, several salt water lakes which connect directly with the sea, an elevated green protected by bunkers, a driving range, two putting greens, a chipping green, two practice bunkers, and breathtaking views of the sparkling azure ocean.
Designed by Canadian golf architect, Les Furber, the golf course runs from the San Bernardino Hill, the highest point at Varadero beach, all the way down. The clubhouse, Xanadu Mansion, is situated on the hilltop and features luxury guestrooms and a bar with panoramic views of the golf course, Varadero Beach and the ocean.
The five-star beachfront hotel, Melia Las Americas, offers the perfect setting for travellers playing golf in Cuba and is the only hotel in Cuba to offer direct access to the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...