Varadero Golf Club hosts International Golf Tournaments
Golf in Cuba is beginning to take off once again following the Montecristo Golf Cup and the Esencia 2011 Cup which took place last month at the Varadero Golf Club and saw more than 65 players participating in the tournaments.
Golfing enthusiasts enjoyed some competitive golf in Cuba recently after taking part in the annual Montecristo Golf Cup and the Esencia 2011 Cup last month at the Varadero Golf Club in Varadero Beach, Matanzas, Cuba.
The golf tournaments took place in April and were hosted by the Varadero Golf Club and Palmares SA in association with the Esencia Group. The tournaments took place on 15th and 16th April and were open to golfing players with a handicap of 24 or under for men and 30 or under for women.
The 2011 Montecristo Cup was awarded to the best individual net score over the two-day tournament, Mr Dionisio Garcia Esquivias from Spain, who received a fine watch from Cuervo y Sobrinos watchmakers in Havana. The runners up were Ms Kim from Korea and Mr Steve Williams from Canada. The Esencia Cup was won by Mr Daniel Batista from Cuba, who received an original painting by the renowned Cuban artist Ernesto Villanueva.
British golfer Tony Jacklin, winner of The Open and the U.S. Open, said: "Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses. The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game ... plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball."
Situated close to Varadero Beach, the Varadero Golf Club is the largest golf club in Cuba and boasts 18 holes across 69 hectares, several salt water lakes which connect directly with the sea, an elevated green protected by bunkers, a driving range, two putting greens, a chipping green, two practice bunkers, and breathtaking views of the sparkling azure ocean.
Designed by Canadian golf architect, Les Furber, the golf course runs from the San Bernardino Hill, the highest point at Varadero beach, all the way down. The clubhouse, Xanadu Mansion, is situated on the hilltop and features luxury guestrooms and a bar with panoramic views of the golf course, Varadero Beach and the ocean.
The five-star beachfront hotel, Melia Las Americas, offers the perfect setting for travellers playing golf in Cuba and is the only hotel in Cuba to offer direct access to the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an authentic, adventurous and charming holiday for you and your family? Then why not head to Cuba...