Varadero airport's expansion work to conclude this summer
The expansion of the airport in Varadero Beach resort, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations, is expected to conclude in July 2011, after the recession and downturn of Cuba's economy delayed the project.
Construction work will once again commence on Cuba's second busiest airport near Varadero Beach this summer following delays which were caused by the recession and downturn in Cuba's economy.
The $35 million expansion project of Varadero's Airport renovation commenced in 2009 and is construction is scheduled to start again to members of the public in July, 2011.
The airport is located close to Varadero Beach, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations and also serves the city of Matanzas. The airport is the second largest in Cuba and the construction includes the 75,000-square-foot terminal expansion and the addition of a telescope gangway and car park.
Twenty-two foreign airlines operate at the Juan Gualberto Gomez International Airport (VRA) bringing 1,200 passengers to Cuba on a daily basis with the majority of tourists originating from Canada, Germany the United Kingdom and Russia.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island of Cuba. The coastal resort is home over 20km of pristine white sand beaches and several luxury beachfront Varadero hotels.
Many tourists choose the resort for its numerous all inclusive hotels in Varadero with local and international hotel chains including Melia, Sandals Hotels, Iberostar and Cubanacan. The area's stunning natural landscapes include the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays. During Cuba holidays travellers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to wander around open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurants and Varadero Beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm azure waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
The beach resort is a fantastic place for family holidays in Cuba with an array of museums, beaches, parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for swimming with dolphins and dolphin shows.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Sun-seekers will love this deal transporting you to the golden beaches of Phuket
- 3 free-form swimming pools to choose from
- Take advantage of the swim up bar
- Complimentary shuttle service to Ya Nui Beach, Nai harn Beach and Kata Beach
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
The Topaz Hotel is perfect for those who want to explore St Paul's bay and Malta's rugged countryside. Affordable and...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...