Varadero airport's expansion work to conclude this summer
The expansion of the airport in Varadero Beach resort, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations, is expected to conclude in July 2011, after the recession and downturn of Cuba's economy delayed the project.
Construction work will once again commence on Cuba's second busiest airport near Varadero Beach this summer following delays which were caused by the recession and downturn in Cuba's economy.
The $35 million expansion project of Varadero's Airport renovation commenced in 2009 and is construction is scheduled to start again to members of the public in July, 2011.
The airport is located close to Varadero Beach, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations and also serves the city of Matanzas. The airport is the second largest in Cuba and the construction includes the 75,000-square-foot terminal expansion and the addition of a telescope gangway and car park.
Twenty-two foreign airlines operate at the Juan Gualberto Gomez International Airport (VRA) bringing 1,200 passengers to Cuba on a daily basis with the majority of tourists originating from Canada, Germany the United Kingdom and Russia.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island of Cuba. The coastal resort is home over 20km of pristine white sand beaches and several luxury beachfront Varadero hotels.
Many tourists choose the resort for its numerous all inclusive hotels in Varadero with local and international hotel chains including Melia, Sandals Hotels, Iberostar and Cubanacan. The area's stunning natural landscapes include the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays. During Cuba holidays travellers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to wander around open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurants and Varadero Beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm azure waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
The beach resort is a fantastic place for family holidays in Cuba with an array of museums, beaches, parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for swimming with dolphins and dolphin shows.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Free Sports including Golf at the 18 hole championship golf course at Le Touessrok Mauriitus
- Enjoy an selection of restaurants and Bar inlcuding s swim up bar
- Ambre resorts has stunning view of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 700-metres long white natural beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...