Varadero airport's expansion work to conclude this summer
The expansion of the airport in Varadero Beach resort, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations, is expected to conclude in July 2011, after the recession and downturn of Cuba's economy delayed the project.
Construction work will once again commence on Cuba's second busiest airport near Varadero Beach this summer following delays which were caused by the recession and downturn in Cuba's economy.
The $35 million expansion project of Varadero's Airport renovation commenced in 2009 and is construction is scheduled to start again to members of the public in July, 2011.
The airport is located close to Varadero Beach, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations and also serves the city of Matanzas. The airport is the second largest in Cuba and the construction includes the 75,000-square-foot terminal expansion and the addition of a telescope gangway and car park.
Twenty-two foreign airlines operate at the Juan Gualberto Gomez International Airport (VRA) bringing 1,200 passengers to Cuba on a daily basis with the majority of tourists originating from Canada, Germany the United Kingdom and Russia.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island of Cuba. The coastal resort is home over 20km of pristine white sand beaches and several luxury beachfront Varadero hotels.
Many tourists choose the resort for its numerous all inclusive hotels in Varadero with local and international hotel chains including Melia, Sandals Hotels, Iberostar and Cubanacan. The area's stunning natural landscapes include the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays. During Cuba holidays travellers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to wander around open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurants and Varadero Beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm azure waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
The beach resort is a fantastic place for family holidays in Cuba with an array of museums, beaches, parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for swimming with dolphins and dolphin shows.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...