Varadero airport's expansion work to conclude this summer
The expansion of the airport in Varadero Beach resort, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations, is expected to conclude in July 2011, after the recession and downturn of Cuba's economy delayed the project.
Construction work will once again commence on Cuba's second busiest airport near Varadero Beach this summer following delays which were caused by the recession and downturn in Cuba's economy.
The $35 million expansion project of Varadero's Airport renovation commenced in 2009 and is construction is scheduled to start again to members of the public in July, 2011.
The airport is located close to Varadero Beach, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations and also serves the city of Matanzas. The airport is the second largest in Cuba and the construction includes the 75,000-square-foot terminal expansion and the addition of a telescope gangway and car park.
Twenty-two foreign airlines operate at the Juan Gualberto Gomez International Airport (VRA) bringing 1,200 passengers to Cuba on a daily basis with the majority of tourists originating from Canada, Germany the United Kingdom and Russia.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island of Cuba. The coastal resort is home over 20km of pristine white sand beaches and several luxury beachfront Varadero hotels.
Many tourists choose the resort for its numerous all inclusive hotels in Varadero with local and international hotel chains including Melia, Sandals Hotels, Iberostar and Cubanacan. The area's stunning natural landscapes include the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays. During Cuba holidays travellers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to wander around open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurants and Varadero Beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm azure waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
The beach resort is a fantastic place for family holidays in Cuba with an array of museums, beaches, parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for swimming with dolphins and dolphin shows.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...