Varadero airport's expansion work to conclude this summer
The expansion of the airport in Varadero Beach resort, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations, is expected to conclude in July 2011, after the recession and downturn of Cuba's economy delayed the project.
Construction work will once again commence on Cuba's second busiest airport near Varadero Beach this summer following delays which were caused by the recession and downturn in Cuba's economy.
The $35 million expansion project of Varadero's Airport renovation commenced in 2009 and is construction is scheduled to start again to members of the public in July, 2011.
The airport is located close to Varadero Beach, one of Cuba's most popular tourist destinations and also serves the city of Matanzas. The airport is the second largest in Cuba and the construction includes the 75,000-square-foot terminal expansion and the addition of a telescope gangway and car park.
Twenty-two foreign airlines operate at the Juan Gualberto Gomez International Airport (VRA) bringing 1,200 passengers to Cuba on a daily basis with the majority of tourists originating from Canada, Germany the United Kingdom and Russia.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island of Cuba. The coastal resort is home over 20km of pristine white sand beaches and several luxury beachfront Varadero hotels.
Many tourists choose the resort for its numerous all inclusive hotels in Varadero with local and international hotel chains including Melia, Sandals Hotels, Iberostar and Cubanacan. The area's stunning natural landscapes include the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays. During Cuba holidays travellers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to wander around open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurants and Varadero Beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm azure waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
The beach resort is a fantastic place for family holidays in Cuba with an array of museums, beaches, parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for swimming with dolphins and dolphin shows.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...