Dominican Republic: still a popular destination for Caribbean holidays
The number of travellers taking Dominican Republic holidays in the first 2 months of 2011 has reached practically the same level as the period in 2010 with the total number of visitors to the Caribbean island reaching 817,154 in January and February 2011.
In the begining of this year Dominican Republic holidays continue to be popular with tourists from all over the world as new statistics reveal that the visitor arrivals during January and February this year reached the same level as the first two months of 2010 and even surpassed it a little bit.
The Dominican Republic Central Bank reported that the number of foreign visitors taking holidays in the Dominican Republic in January increased by 1.3 per cent and 2.99 per cent in February in 2011, from the same periods in 2010.
The total number of travellers who visited the Caribbean island nation in January and February 2011 reached 817,154, up 3.29% from the same period last year, and including 12,941 more foreign tourists and 4,170 non-resident Dominicans.
The report showed that the majority of tourists taking Dominican Republic holidays originate from the United States and Canada, while travellers from Europe and the UK make up 29.92 per cent of annual visitor arrivals to the island. The number of South American travellers has also increased by 9.32 per cent and Central American and Caribbean travellers are up by 2.96 per cent.
With a large number of Canadian travellers visiting the Dominican Republic, a review in The Toronto Sun highlighted Punta Cana holidays amongst the favourites for tourists from this North American country, saying: "Overall, the Paradisus resorts give you the best of what Punta Cana has to offer: A holiday that can be romantic, family-friendly or focused on well-needed rest and relaxation."
Situated on the east coast of the Dominican Republic, the popular tourist destination offers miles of pristine beaches and turquoise ocean waters, luxury Dominican hotels and resorts, championship golf courses and plenty of water sports and activities to enjoy during holidays in Punta Cana such as snorkelling, scuba diving, sailing, fishing and boat excursions.
The Dominican Republic is a country which occupies the eastern two thirds of the island of Hispaniola which is shared with the nation of Haiti.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...