Price of jet fuel rises concern in the Dominican Republic holiday industry
The Dominican Republic Tourism Minister has warned that the rising price of jet fuel could have a negative effect on the country's tourism industry, with rising fuel costs leading to a rise in airfares for travellers taking Dominican Republic holidays.
Tourists planning holidays in the Dominican Republic could soon be facing higher air fares if the price of jet fuel (avtur) continues to increase. The Dominican Republic’s Tourism Minister, Francisco Javier Garcia, has warned that the rising cost of the fuel could have a negative effect on the Dominican Republic holidays industry and the island’s economy.
Garcia added that the price of avtur is the highest in the region which could push airlines to find other places to refuel.
Tourism is the Dominican Republic’s top industry and brings an annual income of US$4.0 billion a year but the increase in fuel costs could prompt tourists to look at alternative destinations for their Caribbean holidays if the prices of air fares rise.
President of the Airlines Association, Bolivar Batista, said that avtur has jumped 17.7 per cent since December, 2010, when it was sold for RD$118 per gallon, and that cost has now risen to RD$141.
The rise in jet fuel is another blow to the Caribbean region after George Osborne, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced last month that Air Passenger Duty (APD) would be frozen for 12 months, but was likely to increase even further next year. APD tax has to be paid by travellers departing from UK airports and is calculated depending on the distance of the journey.
During a press conference at the National Palace after a meeting with the president Leonel Fernandez, the Minister of Tourism announced new projects which are in the pipeline including the launch of new Dominican Republic hotels such as a hotel in Puerto Plata with more than 600 rooms, and several projects in Las Terrenas, Samana.
The Dominican Republic is an island nation which occupies the eastern two thirds of the island of Hispaniola in the Caribbean. The country shares the island with Haiti and boasts an array of stunning natural landscapes including sugar-white sand, palm-fringed beaches; beautiful mountain ranges including the Caribbean’s highest peak, Pico Duarte; lush green valleys; and several lagoons, lakes and rivers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
This all inclusive resort provides luxurious holidaying at its very best with a true Dominican flavour
- Boasting a wonderful location, immaculate tropical gardens, and a stunning stretch of beach
- A choice of six specialty restaurants featuring Mexican, Oriental, Steak House and more
- Honeymoon couples receive a bottle of champagne, fruit basket and a romantic dinner
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
You'll be instantly rewarded with up to $3,600 resort credit to use towards spa treatments, golf, premium drinks and much more
- Complimentary Tickts available to see Shakira! Call for more details
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Suites feature a double Jacuzzi and fully stocked mini bar including spirits and premium brands
- Choice of 13 swimming pools and 35 spa suites to relax in
- Get up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...