Mexican Government seeks increase in cruise arrivals
Gloria Guevara, Mexico's Tourism Secretary, has announced that an increase in travellers taking Mexico holidays via cruise ships is essential if the country is to maximise its potential as a popular global tourism destination.
The future of Mexico’s tourism industry could depend on the number of tourists arriving via cruise liners for their Mexico holidays, according to the country’s Tourism Secretary, Gloria Guevara.
During a meeting of the American Association of Port Authorities recently, Guevara said: “Tourism is a priority for Mexico. That’s why President Felipe Calderon has declared 2011 the year of tourism with an important calendar of activities.”
The Mexican government is implementing a series of actions to aid “faster growth in the coming years” for the Mexico holidays industry, which represents 9 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP).
After the United States, Mexico has become the second leading cruise ship destination for travellers with many travellers taking holidays in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta.
Guevara added in regards to Mexico’s economic growth, “the tourism industry is the country’s third-leading source of foreign currency (after oil and remittances) and there is great opportunity there.”
Mexico’s tourism sector appears to be thriving with a recent report carried out by Visa Inc. revealing that the number of Visa cardholders taking Mexico holidays has risen by 12 per cent between 2009 and 2010.
The Tourism Outlook: Mexico report showed that cardholders spent $4.4 billion in 2010, despite the turbulent economic times with the recent global recession.
Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., Eduardo Coello, said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organisations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritise tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
Generally Cancun holidays are amongst the favourite destinations for tourists visiting Mexico; a region which is home to an array of beautiful natural sites, including pristine white sand beaches, historic Mayan ruins, the sparkling azure waters of Nichupté Lagoon, and luxurious Cancun hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Whether looking for a relaxing retreat with your partner, or simply searching for some peace and intimacy by yourself, a...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...