Mexican Government seeks increase in cruise arrivals
Gloria Guevara, Mexico's Tourism Secretary, has announced that an increase in travellers taking Mexico holidays via cruise ships is essential if the country is to maximise its potential as a popular global tourism destination.
The future of Mexico’s tourism industry could depend on the number of tourists arriving via cruise liners for their Mexico holidays, according to the country’s Tourism Secretary, Gloria Guevara.
During a meeting of the American Association of Port Authorities recently, Guevara said: “Tourism is a priority for Mexico. That’s why President Felipe Calderon has declared 2011 the year of tourism with an important calendar of activities.”
The Mexican government is implementing a series of actions to aid “faster growth in the coming years” for the Mexico holidays industry, which represents 9 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP).
After the United States, Mexico has become the second leading cruise ship destination for travellers with many travellers taking holidays in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta.
Guevara added in regards to Mexico’s economic growth, “the tourism industry is the country’s third-leading source of foreign currency (after oil and remittances) and there is great opportunity there.”
Mexico’s tourism sector appears to be thriving with a recent report carried out by Visa Inc. revealing that the number of Visa cardholders taking Mexico holidays has risen by 12 per cent between 2009 and 2010.
The Tourism Outlook: Mexico report showed that cardholders spent $4.4 billion in 2010, despite the turbulent economic times with the recent global recession.
Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., Eduardo Coello, said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organisations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritise tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
Generally Cancun holidays are amongst the favourite destinations for tourists visiting Mexico; a region which is home to an array of beautiful natural sites, including pristine white sand beaches, historic Mayan ruins, the sparkling azure waters of Nichupté Lagoon, and luxurious Cancun hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...