Mexico Holidays - a Favourite for Canadian Travellers
Mexico holidays continue to be a favourite for Canadian travellers, according to a new report conducted by Visa Inc., which also showed that Canadian Visa cardholders spent 21 per cent more during their trips in 2010, compared to 2009.
Canadian travellers are continuing to choose Mexico as one of their favourite international holiday destinations and a new report by Visa Inc. shows that during 2010, Canadians spent $538 million during their holidays in Mexico, and more particularly in Cancun.
This amount was a 21 per cent increase on the $445 million spent by Canadian tourists in 2009, according to the 2011 Tourism Outlook: Mexico report which was released a few days ago.
Eduardo Cello, Country Manager Mexico, Visa Inc., said: "Canadian tourists continue to have a positive impact on the Mexican tourism economy. The strong willingness and desire of Canadians to travel across the southern border reinforces the importance of the North American tourism industry to the region's continued economic growth."
Over the last three years, Canadian Visa cardholders have been the second highest contributors to the tourism economy in Mexico.
In 2007, travellers from the North American country spent $398 million on travel-related items during their Mexico holidays in Cancun mainly. In 2008, that amount rose to $507 million, and in 2009, during the global recession, travel spending dropped by nine per cent but Canadians continued to be the second highest contributors to Cancun holidays spending $445 million in the country’s tourism industry.
Since 1980's holidays in Cancun are amongst one of the most popular choices for many travellers choosing Mexico as their holiday destination. With an array of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts, beaches and historical Mayan ruins and heritage sites it’s not hard to see why.
Cancun is located in the Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and comprises lush tropical forests, ancient Mayan temples, several pristine white sand beaches and sparkling azure Caribbean waters, perfect for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
During holidays to Cancun, tourists can explore the historical Mayan sites including the large Chichén Itzá Archaeological Site; visit the beautiful islands of Cozumel and Isle Mujeres; and explore the region’s breathtaking wildlife within nature reserves such as the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...