Mexico Holidays - a Favourite for Canadian Travellers
Mexico holidays continue to be a favourite for Canadian travellers, according to a new report conducted by Visa Inc., which also showed that Canadian Visa cardholders spent 21 per cent more during their trips in 2010, compared to 2009.
Canadian travellers are continuing to choose Mexico as one of their favourite international holiday destinations and a new report by Visa Inc. shows that during 2010, Canadians spent $538 million during their holidays in Mexico, and more particularly in Cancun.
This amount was a 21 per cent increase on the $445 million spent by Canadian tourists in 2009, according to the 2011 Tourism Outlook: Mexico report which was released a few days ago.
Eduardo Cello, Country Manager Mexico, Visa Inc., said: "Canadian tourists continue to have a positive impact on the Mexican tourism economy. The strong willingness and desire of Canadians to travel across the southern border reinforces the importance of the North American tourism industry to the region's continued economic growth."
Over the last three years, Canadian Visa cardholders have been the second highest contributors to the tourism economy in Mexico.
In 2007, travellers from the North American country spent $398 million on travel-related items during their Mexico holidays in Cancun mainly. In 2008, that amount rose to $507 million, and in 2009, during the global recession, travel spending dropped by nine per cent but Canadians continued to be the second highest contributors to Cancun holidays spending $445 million in the country’s tourism industry.
Since 1980's holidays in Cancun are amongst one of the most popular choices for many travellers choosing Mexico as their holiday destination. With an array of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts, beaches and historical Mayan ruins and heritage sites it’s not hard to see why.
Cancun is located in the Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and comprises lush tropical forests, ancient Mayan temples, several pristine white sand beaches and sparkling azure Caribbean waters, perfect for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
During holidays to Cancun, tourists can explore the historical Mayan sites including the large Chichén Itzá Archaeological Site; visit the beautiful islands of Cozumel and Isle Mujeres; and explore the region’s breathtaking wildlife within nature reserves such as the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Enjoy fantastic discounts when travelling with kids
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...