Mexico Holidays - a Favourite for Canadian Travellers
Mexico holidays continue to be a favourite for Canadian travellers, according to a new report conducted by Visa Inc., which also showed that Canadian Visa cardholders spent 21 per cent more during their trips in 2010, compared to 2009.
Canadian travellers are continuing to choose Mexico as one of their favourite international holiday destinations and a new report by Visa Inc. shows that during 2010, Canadians spent $538 million during their holidays in Mexico, and more particularly in Cancun.
This amount was a 21 per cent increase on the $445 million spent by Canadian tourists in 2009, according to the 2011 Tourism Outlook: Mexico report which was released a few days ago.
Eduardo Cello, Country Manager Mexico, Visa Inc., said: "Canadian tourists continue to have a positive impact on the Mexican tourism economy. The strong willingness and desire of Canadians to travel across the southern border reinforces the importance of the North American tourism industry to the region's continued economic growth."
Over the last three years, Canadian Visa cardholders have been the second highest contributors to the tourism economy in Mexico.
In 2007, travellers from the North American country spent $398 million on travel-related items during their Mexico holidays in Cancun mainly. In 2008, that amount rose to $507 million, and in 2009, during the global recession, travel spending dropped by nine per cent but Canadians continued to be the second highest contributors to Cancun holidays spending $445 million in the country’s tourism industry.
Since 1980's holidays in Cancun are amongst one of the most popular choices for many travellers choosing Mexico as their holiday destination. With an array of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts, beaches and historical Mayan ruins and heritage sites it’s not hard to see why.
Cancun is located in the Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and comprises lush tropical forests, ancient Mayan temples, several pristine white sand beaches and sparkling azure Caribbean waters, perfect for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
During holidays to Cancun, tourists can explore the historical Mayan sites including the large Chichén Itzá Archaeological Site; visit the beautiful islands of Cozumel and Isle Mujeres; and explore the region’s breathtaking wildlife within nature reserves such as the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....