Mexico Holidays - a Favourite for Canadian Travellers
Mexico holidays continue to be a favourite for Canadian travellers, according to a new report conducted by Visa Inc., which also showed that Canadian Visa cardholders spent 21 per cent more during their trips in 2010, compared to 2009.
Canadian travellers are continuing to choose Mexico as one of their favourite international holiday destinations and a new report by Visa Inc. shows that during 2010, Canadians spent $538 million during their holidays in Mexico, and more particularly in Cancun.
This amount was a 21 per cent increase on the $445 million spent by Canadian tourists in 2009, according to the 2011 Tourism Outlook: Mexico report which was released a few days ago.
Eduardo Cello, Country Manager Mexico, Visa Inc., said: "Canadian tourists continue to have a positive impact on the Mexican tourism economy. The strong willingness and desire of Canadians to travel across the southern border reinforces the importance of the North American tourism industry to the region's continued economic growth."
Over the last three years, Canadian Visa cardholders have been the second highest contributors to the tourism economy in Mexico.
In 2007, travellers from the North American country spent $398 million on travel-related items during their Mexico holidays in Cancun mainly. In 2008, that amount rose to $507 million, and in 2009, during the global recession, travel spending dropped by nine per cent but Canadians continued to be the second highest contributors to Cancun holidays spending $445 million in the country’s tourism industry.
Since 1980's holidays in Cancun are amongst one of the most popular choices for many travellers choosing Mexico as their holiday destination. With an array of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts, beaches and historical Mayan ruins and heritage sites it’s not hard to see why.
Cancun is located in the Quintana Roo state on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and comprises lush tropical forests, ancient Mayan temples, several pristine white sand beaches and sparkling azure Caribbean waters, perfect for scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
During holidays to Cancun, tourists can explore the historical Mayan sites including the large Chichén Itzá Archaeological Site; visit the beautiful islands of Cozumel and Isle Mujeres; and explore the region’s breathtaking wildlife within nature reserves such as the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...