Shipping Company Seeks Permit to Provide Ferry Service for Cuba Holidays
The Miami-based company, United Americas Shipping Services, has appealed to the U.S. Federal government to permit a ferry service which will provide transport for tourists taking Cuba holidays, allowing it to compete alongside air carriers.
As President Obama eases restrictions in Cuba travel for American travellers, one ocean transport company is seeking permission from the U.S. Federal government to provide a ferry service that will take these tourists to their holidays in Cuba.
Miami-based United Americas Shipping Services (UASS) are looking to compete alongside air carriers who have been granted permission to operate charter flights for taking passengers on holidays to Cuba.
UASS chairman, Daniel Berrebi, said. "The recent announcement that eight new US airports – in addition to Miami – have been authorised to provide air service to Cuba highlights the preferential treatment given air over ocean passenger service.
"There is a need and a desire for a ferry service to Cuba and it is fundamental to this country's values that people be allowed that choice and that the government does not favour one element of the transportation industry over another," he added.
To date, there is no ferry service that offers transport for American travellers taking Cuba holidays, but last year, UASS filed for a Treasury Department licence to operate a ferry service from South Florida to Havana. The department have not yet made a decision on the application but the ocean transport company are hopeful that the ferry service will be approved under the current rules which authorise carrier services to Cuba via “vessels” and aircraft.
President of UASS, Joseph Hinson added four reasons why it would be in the travellers’ best interest to choose this method of transport for their Cuba holidays.
"It is significantly cheaper, it is more comfortable and pleasurable, [and] it is a preferable form of travel for the elderly, the infirm and family groups. Also, a ferry service is a vastly cheaper way for people to bring supplies authorised by US law to relatives in Cuba," he explained.
Robert Muse, a Washington, DC, lawyer who specialises in US-Cuba laws, added: "All that is required for it to happen is a policy decision by the Obama administration in favour of ferry service."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...