Shipping Company Seeks Permit to Provide Ferry Service for Cuba Holidays
The Miami-based company, United Americas Shipping Services, has appealed to the U.S. Federal government to permit a ferry service which will provide transport for tourists taking Cuba holidays, allowing it to compete alongside air carriers.
As President Obama eases restrictions in Cuba travel for American travellers, one ocean transport company is seeking permission from the U.S. Federal government to provide a ferry service that will take these tourists to their holidays in Cuba.
Miami-based United Americas Shipping Services (UASS) are looking to compete alongside air carriers who have been granted permission to operate charter flights for taking passengers on holidays to Cuba.
UASS chairman, Daniel Berrebi, said. "The recent announcement that eight new US airports – in addition to Miami – have been authorised to provide air service to Cuba highlights the preferential treatment given air over ocean passenger service.
"There is a need and a desire for a ferry service to Cuba and it is fundamental to this country's values that people be allowed that choice and that the government does not favour one element of the transportation industry over another," he added.
To date, there is no ferry service that offers transport for American travellers taking Cuba holidays, but last year, UASS filed for a Treasury Department licence to operate a ferry service from South Florida to Havana. The department have not yet made a decision on the application but the ocean transport company are hopeful that the ferry service will be approved under the current rules which authorise carrier services to Cuba via “vessels” and aircraft.
President of UASS, Joseph Hinson added four reasons why it would be in the travellers’ best interest to choose this method of transport for their Cuba holidays.
"It is significantly cheaper, it is more comfortable and pleasurable, [and] it is a preferable form of travel for the elderly, the infirm and family groups. Also, a ferry service is a vastly cheaper way for people to bring supplies authorised by US law to relatives in Cuba," he explained.
Robert Muse, a Washington, DC, lawyer who specialises in US-Cuba laws, added: "All that is required for it to happen is a policy decision by the Obama administration in favour of ferry service."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...