Shipping Company Seeks Permit to Provide Ferry Service for Cuba Holidays
The Miami-based company, United Americas Shipping Services, has appealed to the U.S. Federal government to permit a ferry service which will provide transport for tourists taking Cuba holidays, allowing it to compete alongside air carriers.
As President Obama eases restrictions in Cuba travel for American travellers, one ocean transport company is seeking permission from the U.S. Federal government to provide a ferry service that will take these tourists to their holidays in Cuba.
Miami-based United Americas Shipping Services (UASS) are looking to compete alongside air carriers who have been granted permission to operate charter flights for taking passengers on holidays to Cuba.
UASS chairman, Daniel Berrebi, said. "The recent announcement that eight new US airports – in addition to Miami – have been authorised to provide air service to Cuba highlights the preferential treatment given air over ocean passenger service.
"There is a need and a desire for a ferry service to Cuba and it is fundamental to this country's values that people be allowed that choice and that the government does not favour one element of the transportation industry over another," he added.
To date, there is no ferry service that offers transport for American travellers taking Cuba holidays, but last year, UASS filed for a Treasury Department licence to operate a ferry service from South Florida to Havana. The department have not yet made a decision on the application but the ocean transport company are hopeful that the ferry service will be approved under the current rules which authorise carrier services to Cuba via “vessels” and aircraft.
President of UASS, Joseph Hinson added four reasons why it would be in the travellers’ best interest to choose this method of transport for their Cuba holidays.
"It is significantly cheaper, it is more comfortable and pleasurable, [and] it is a preferable form of travel for the elderly, the infirm and family groups. Also, a ferry service is a vastly cheaper way for people to bring supplies authorised by US law to relatives in Cuba," he explained.
Robert Muse, a Washington, DC, lawyer who specialises in US-Cuba laws, added: "All that is required for it to happen is a policy decision by the Obama administration in favour of ferry service."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...