Withdrawal of Cruise Lines Deals Blow to Barbados Holidays
There are concerns over the future of Barbados holidays within the cruise industry as two major cruise lines, Royal Caribbean and Sea Princess, announce that they will remove all of their ships from the southern Caribbean from next summer.
Two major cruise lines have announced that they will no longer be providing Barbados holidays for their passengers as they confirm they will be removing their ships from the southern Caribbean from summer 2012.
The news has come as a blow to the Barbados tourism sector as Sue Spring, Executive vice-president of the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association, revealed that the Royal Caribbean’s ship, the Serenader Of The Seas, has been removed due to the high costs of fuel involved in getting the ship as far south as Barbados.
The Sea Princess provided tourists with holidays in Barbados this winter on a weekly basis and has announced that it will be now repositioning the ship to Australia under the P &O Australia brand in winter 2011/2012.
Martin Ince from Foster & Ince Cruises stated that the removal of Serenader Of The Seas would result in the loss of 25,000 tourists taking Barbados holidays on the island during the typically slow summer season.
Foster added that Barbados would also lose approximately 26,000 passengers this coming winter season due to the repositioning of the Sea Princess. This ship had been calling at the Caribbean island for the past six years.
The Carnival Victory, operated by Carnival Cruise Lines, will now be the only cruise ship which will provide holidays in Barbados for tourists during the summer months, with four calls a month, a reduction from its original six.
The loss of cruise ship calls could also have an impact on occupancy levels at Barbados hotels during the slower summer months.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) has said that it understands the need for ships to reposition during the summer months but it is worried about the impact it could have on the island’s already struggling summer season.
The CTO have already started putting measures in place to ensure that Barbados remains a highly desirable cruise destination for holiday makers from all over the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...