Cuba Encourages Russian Tourists to Take Cuba Holidays
The Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, has announced that the island will be diversifying its tourism offer to encourage more travellers from Russia to book their Cuba holidays throughout the year.
The Cuban Ministry of Tourism is looking to establish future contracts to provide more flights to the Caribbean island from Russia which will lead to an increase of tourists taking Cuba holidays all year round.
Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, said: “Until March 10, the Cuban tourism industry grew by 14 per cent compared to the same period last year, although those are preliminary figures.
“For its part, in 2010 Russia registered an increase of 68.7 per cent compared to 2009.”
Lopez Reyes added that the Ministry of Tourism would like to create new contacts for future contracts which could help increase the number of Russian travellers taking holidays to Cuba during the summer and winter months.
“We now have direct flights to Varadero and we are working to achieve others to places like Santa Maria, Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo for the end of 2011,” she explained.
“To us it means the possibility of expanding Russian destinations in Cuba because Varadero is a well-known tourist destination, but it becomes saturated, especially in winter”, she noted.
The Ministry of Tourism is keen to promote Cuba as a holiday destination for travellers who like to experience the local culture during their holidays in Cuba, as well as enjoying the history, heritage and local attractions.
“Cuba is not only a sun and beach destination, because we have tourist attractions like our culture, history and attractive cities in addition to the nautical recreation,” Lopez Reyes added.
The Vice-Minister headed the Cuba delegation to the 6th International Tourist Fair of Russia, Inturmarket last week which was attended by representatives of Cuba hotels such as Sol Melia, Gaviota, Iberostar, Gran Caribe, Barceló, Occidental Miramar and Cubanacan.
Cuba is likely to see a significant increase in tourists this year as U.S President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel in January for American travellers visiting the island for cultural, educational, religious and academic purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...