Cuba Encourages Russian Tourists to Take Cuba Holidays
The Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, has announced that the island will be diversifying its tourism offer to encourage more travellers from Russia to book their Cuba holidays throughout the year.
The Cuban Ministry of Tourism is looking to establish future contracts to provide more flights to the Caribbean island from Russia which will lead to an increase of tourists taking Cuba holidays all year round.
Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, said: “Until March 10, the Cuban tourism industry grew by 14 per cent compared to the same period last year, although those are preliminary figures.
“For its part, in 2010 Russia registered an increase of 68.7 per cent compared to 2009.”
Lopez Reyes added that the Ministry of Tourism would like to create new contacts for future contracts which could help increase the number of Russian travellers taking holidays to Cuba during the summer and winter months.
“We now have direct flights to Varadero and we are working to achieve others to places like Santa Maria, Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo for the end of 2011,” she explained.
“To us it means the possibility of expanding Russian destinations in Cuba because Varadero is a well-known tourist destination, but it becomes saturated, especially in winter”, she noted.
The Ministry of Tourism is keen to promote Cuba as a holiday destination for travellers who like to experience the local culture during their holidays in Cuba, as well as enjoying the history, heritage and local attractions.
“Cuba is not only a sun and beach destination, because we have tourist attractions like our culture, history and attractive cities in addition to the nautical recreation,” Lopez Reyes added.
The Vice-Minister headed the Cuba delegation to the 6th International Tourist Fair of Russia, Inturmarket last week which was attended by representatives of Cuba hotels such as Sol Melia, Gaviota, Iberostar, Gran Caribe, Barceló, Occidental Miramar and Cubanacan.
Cuba is likely to see a significant increase in tourists this year as U.S President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel in January for American travellers visiting the island for cultural, educational, religious and academic purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...