Cuba Encourages Russian Tourists to Take Cuba Holidays
The Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, has announced that the island will be diversifying its tourism offer to encourage more travellers from Russia to book their Cuba holidays throughout the year.
The Cuban Ministry of Tourism is looking to establish future contracts to provide more flights to the Caribbean island from Russia which will lead to an increase of tourists taking Cuba holidays all year round.
Cuban Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Maria Elena Lopez Reyes, said: “Until March 10, the Cuban tourism industry grew by 14 per cent compared to the same period last year, although those are preliminary figures.
“For its part, in 2010 Russia registered an increase of 68.7 per cent compared to 2009.”
Lopez Reyes added that the Ministry of Tourism would like to create new contacts for future contracts which could help increase the number of Russian travellers taking holidays to Cuba during the summer and winter months.
“We now have direct flights to Varadero and we are working to achieve others to places like Santa Maria, Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo for the end of 2011,” she explained.
“To us it means the possibility of expanding Russian destinations in Cuba because Varadero is a well-known tourist destination, but it becomes saturated, especially in winter”, she noted.
The Ministry of Tourism is keen to promote Cuba as a holiday destination for travellers who like to experience the local culture during their holidays in Cuba, as well as enjoying the history, heritage and local attractions.
“Cuba is not only a sun and beach destination, because we have tourist attractions like our culture, history and attractive cities in addition to the nautical recreation,” Lopez Reyes added.
The Vice-Minister headed the Cuba delegation to the 6th International Tourist Fair of Russia, Inturmarket last week which was attended by representatives of Cuba hotels such as Sol Melia, Gaviota, Iberostar, Gran Caribe, Barceló, Occidental Miramar and Cubanacan.
Cuba is likely to see a significant increase in tourists this year as U.S President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel in January for American travellers visiting the island for cultural, educational, religious and academic purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...