New Tourism Minister Confident that Egypt Holidays are Back in Business
The newly-appointed Tourism Minister of Egypt spoke of the country's determination to restore the Egypt holidays industry as he attended a press conference of the UN World Tourism Organisation at ITB Berlin earlier this month.
After a gruelling start to the New Year, Egypt holidays and the country’s tourism are back in business according to the newly-appointed Tourism Minister.
Egypt Tourism Minister Mounir Abdul Nour, spoke at the press conference of the UN World Tourism Organization, which took place at ITB Berlin on 10th March, 2011.
The new Tourism Minister said: “I am delighted to be amongst all of you here in Great Berlin. As you know, I have assumed my new responsibilities as the tourism minister of Egypt only a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit that I am extremely lucky that my first trip abroad in this capacity is to attend the ITB, this vibrant meeting place of the tourism industry which gives the unique opportunity to meet you, the world leaders of the travel industry.
“My presence in Berlin at this juncture is extremely important with undergoing profound changes in its political regime, following the peaceful revolution by its youth and supported by the whole nation. You would agree with me that the timing could not be more opportune since it allows me to explain and to put events that are magnified or exaggerated sometimes, in their proper context and perspective.”
He said that over the past few days, Egypt has started the road to recovery as charter planes are once again bringing travellers across for their Egypt holidays to popular holiday resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Luxor, and Egypt hotels are seeing a rise in occupancy levels once again.
He commented: “Let there be no doubt that we are committed to further develop out tourism infrastructure and to extend our partners - the tour operators, the airlines, the tour agencies, the tour guides and all the stakeholders who participate and cooperate to build up the sector.”
Last year, the country saw 14.7 million tourists taking holidays to Egypt, a 17 per cent increase on figures compared to 2009.
Mr Abdul Nour added: “We hope we will be able to achieve these figures in 2011 despite the results for the first quarter.”
He then assured attendees of conference that that Egypt is “determined to do whatever it takes to regain the confidence of the travellers. We will advertise, communicate, visit, give incentives, we will preserve and defend to keep [Egypt] a golden destination for tourists.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...