New Tourism Minister Confident that Egypt Holidays are Back in Business
The newly-appointed Tourism Minister of Egypt spoke of the country's determination to restore the Egypt holidays industry as he attended a press conference of the UN World Tourism Organisation at ITB Berlin earlier this month.
After a gruelling start to the New Year, Egypt holidays and the country’s tourism are back in business according to the newly-appointed Tourism Minister.
Egypt Tourism Minister Mounir Abdul Nour, spoke at the press conference of the UN World Tourism Organization, which took place at ITB Berlin on 10th March, 2011.
The new Tourism Minister said: “I am delighted to be amongst all of you here in Great Berlin. As you know, I have assumed my new responsibilities as the tourism minister of Egypt only a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit that I am extremely lucky that my first trip abroad in this capacity is to attend the ITB, this vibrant meeting place of the tourism industry which gives the unique opportunity to meet you, the world leaders of the travel industry.
“My presence in Berlin at this juncture is extremely important with undergoing profound changes in its political regime, following the peaceful revolution by its youth and supported by the whole nation. You would agree with me that the timing could not be more opportune since it allows me to explain and to put events that are magnified or exaggerated sometimes, in their proper context and perspective.”
He said that over the past few days, Egypt has started the road to recovery as charter planes are once again bringing travellers across for their Egypt holidays to popular holiday resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Luxor, and Egypt hotels are seeing a rise in occupancy levels once again.
He commented: “Let there be no doubt that we are committed to further develop out tourism infrastructure and to extend our partners - the tour operators, the airlines, the tour agencies, the tour guides and all the stakeholders who participate and cooperate to build up the sector.”
Last year, the country saw 14.7 million tourists taking holidays to Egypt, a 17 per cent increase on figures compared to 2009.
Mr Abdul Nour added: “We hope we will be able to achieve these figures in 2011 despite the results for the first quarter.”
He then assured attendees of conference that that Egypt is “determined to do whatever it takes to regain the confidence of the travellers. We will advertise, communicate, visit, give incentives, we will preserve and defend to keep [Egypt] a golden destination for tourists.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...