New Tourism Minister Confident that Egypt Holidays are Back in Business
The newly-appointed Tourism Minister of Egypt spoke of the country's determination to restore the Egypt holidays industry as he attended a press conference of the UN World Tourism Organisation at ITB Berlin earlier this month.
After a gruelling start to the New Year, Egypt holidays and the country’s tourism are back in business according to the newly-appointed Tourism Minister.
Egypt Tourism Minister Mounir Abdul Nour, spoke at the press conference of the UN World Tourism Organization, which took place at ITB Berlin on 10th March, 2011.
The new Tourism Minister said: “I am delighted to be amongst all of you here in Great Berlin. As you know, I have assumed my new responsibilities as the tourism minister of Egypt only a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit that I am extremely lucky that my first trip abroad in this capacity is to attend the ITB, this vibrant meeting place of the tourism industry which gives the unique opportunity to meet you, the world leaders of the travel industry.
“My presence in Berlin at this juncture is extremely important with undergoing profound changes in its political regime, following the peaceful revolution by its youth and supported by the whole nation. You would agree with me that the timing could not be more opportune since it allows me to explain and to put events that are magnified or exaggerated sometimes, in their proper context and perspective.”
He said that over the past few days, Egypt has started the road to recovery as charter planes are once again bringing travellers across for their Egypt holidays to popular holiday resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Luxor, and Egypt hotels are seeing a rise in occupancy levels once again.
He commented: “Let there be no doubt that we are committed to further develop out tourism infrastructure and to extend our partners - the tour operators, the airlines, the tour agencies, the tour guides and all the stakeholders who participate and cooperate to build up the sector.”
Last year, the country saw 14.7 million tourists taking holidays to Egypt, a 17 per cent increase on figures compared to 2009.
Mr Abdul Nour added: “We hope we will be able to achieve these figures in 2011 despite the results for the first quarter.”
He then assured attendees of conference that that Egypt is “determined to do whatever it takes to regain the confidence of the travellers. We will advertise, communicate, visit, give incentives, we will preserve and defend to keep [Egypt] a golden destination for tourists.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Experience the golden Sandy beaches of the beautiful Red Sea, the action in Soho Square and Na'ama Bay and a resort that has it all - Sierra Sharm el Sheikt awaits
- Enjoy elegant views of either the pool or gardens from your own private balcony/terrace
- Enjoy access to the Sierra's Wellness Centre & Aqua Spa, where you can enjoy a massage parlour, sauna & steam room
- Enjoy a variety of cuisines from a number of restaurants at the hotel - including Italian, freshly caught seafood & much more
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
With access to a private beach and every facility imaginable on site it's no wonder guests return to Hilton Sharks bay - it's a perfect for the whole family
- Relax and unwind with a massage or jacuzzi in the health club
- Enjoy a number of dining options including Il Rustico Restaurant - where you can enjoy barbeques on the terrace
- Enjoy the evenings with the nightly entertainment programme
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
The Red Sea resort town of Sharm El Sheikh is known for its wonderful beaches; take six days to enjoy the best of this...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Sharm El Sheikh, a resort town sitting on Egypt's Red Sea shores, is one of the country's top tourist destinations. Find...