Record Number of Tourists took Dominican Republic Holidays During 2010
The number of holidaymakers taking Dominican Republic holidays has reached a new record with four million people visiting the Caribbean destination in 2010, a 3.3 per cent increase on the number of arrivals during 2009.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of travellers who enjoyed Dominican Republic holidays in 2010 reached four million, breaking the record with a 3.3% increase on visitors in 2009.
The majority of visitors to the second largest Caribbean island nation came from the United States and overall there was a 54 per cent increase (83,022) in visitors from North America compared to 2009.
The Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism's Vice Minister of International Promotion, Magaly Toribio, said: "We are delighted with ever increasing growth of visitors who seek our sunny country's magnificent beauty, gracious Dominican hospitality and captivating culture and history. Our consistently innovative and strategic marketing programs continue to engage potential visitors and increase travel to the DR, whether it be for a first visit or one of many return visits."
Dominican Republic hotels saw a rise in tourists from South America during 2010 with 67,463 more visitors arriving from Brazil, Argentina, Central America, Chile and the Caribbean.
The majority of holidaymakers chose Dominican Republic resorts on the east coast of the Caribbean island in Punta Cana. Punta Cana offers beautiful beaches, shallow warm ocean waters, and Bavaro’s stretch of shopping malls, restaurants and supermarkets.
Punta Cana International Airport received 57 per cent of the Dominican Republic’s visitor arrivals in 2010, followed by the second busiest airport, Las Americas International Airport, with 22 per cent of the island’s visitors.
The Dominican Republic Central Bank reported that 91 per cent of visitors visited the island for leisure purposes and to stay in the luxury Dominican Republic hotels and resorts.
The nation occupies the eastern two third of the island of Hispaniola situated in the Caribbean Sea with the eastern third occupied by the nation of Haiti.
The Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba and is made up of four mountain ranges, winding rivers, lakes, coastal lagoons, sugar plantations, and miles of white sand palm-fringed beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...