Record Number of Tourists took Dominican Republic Holidays During 2010
The number of holidaymakers taking Dominican Republic holidays has reached a new record with four million people visiting the Caribbean destination in 2010, a 3.3 per cent increase on the number of arrivals during 2009.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of travellers who enjoyed Dominican Republic holidays in 2010 reached four million, breaking the record with a 3.3% increase on visitors in 2009.
The majority of visitors to the second largest Caribbean island nation came from the United States and overall there was a 54 per cent increase (83,022) in visitors from North America compared to 2009.
The Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism's Vice Minister of International Promotion, Magaly Toribio, said: "We are delighted with ever increasing growth of visitors who seek our sunny country's magnificent beauty, gracious Dominican hospitality and captivating culture and history. Our consistently innovative and strategic marketing programs continue to engage potential visitors and increase travel to the DR, whether it be for a first visit or one of many return visits."
Dominican Republic hotels saw a rise in tourists from South America during 2010 with 67,463 more visitors arriving from Brazil, Argentina, Central America, Chile and the Caribbean.
The majority of holidaymakers chose Dominican Republic resorts on the east coast of the Caribbean island in Punta Cana. Punta Cana offers beautiful beaches, shallow warm ocean waters, and Bavaro’s stretch of shopping malls, restaurants and supermarkets.
Punta Cana International Airport received 57 per cent of the Dominican Republic’s visitor arrivals in 2010, followed by the second busiest airport, Las Americas International Airport, with 22 per cent of the island’s visitors.
The Dominican Republic Central Bank reported that 91 per cent of visitors visited the island for leisure purposes and to stay in the luxury Dominican Republic hotels and resorts.
The nation occupies the eastern two third of the island of Hispaniola situated in the Caribbean Sea with the eastern third occupied by the nation of Haiti.
The Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba and is made up of four mountain ranges, winding rivers, lakes, coastal lagoons, sugar plantations, and miles of white sand palm-fringed beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...