Record Number of Tourists took Dominican Republic Holidays During 2010
The number of holidaymakers taking Dominican Republic holidays has reached a new record with four million people visiting the Caribbean destination in 2010, a 3.3 per cent increase on the number of arrivals during 2009.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of travellers who enjoyed Dominican Republic holidays in 2010 reached four million, breaking the record with a 3.3% increase on visitors in 2009.
The majority of visitors to the second largest Caribbean island nation came from the United States and overall there was a 54 per cent increase (83,022) in visitors from North America compared to 2009.
The Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism's Vice Minister of International Promotion, Magaly Toribio, said: "We are delighted with ever increasing growth of visitors who seek our sunny country's magnificent beauty, gracious Dominican hospitality and captivating culture and history. Our consistently innovative and strategic marketing programs continue to engage potential visitors and increase travel to the DR, whether it be for a first visit or one of many return visits."
Dominican Republic hotels saw a rise in tourists from South America during 2010 with 67,463 more visitors arriving from Brazil, Argentina, Central America, Chile and the Caribbean.
The majority of holidaymakers chose Dominican Republic resorts on the east coast of the Caribbean island in Punta Cana. Punta Cana offers beautiful beaches, shallow warm ocean waters, and Bavaro’s stretch of shopping malls, restaurants and supermarkets.
Punta Cana International Airport received 57 per cent of the Dominican Republic’s visitor arrivals in 2010, followed by the second busiest airport, Las Americas International Airport, with 22 per cent of the island’s visitors.
The Dominican Republic Central Bank reported that 91 per cent of visitors visited the island for leisure purposes and to stay in the luxury Dominican Republic hotels and resorts.
The nation occupies the eastern two third of the island of Hispaniola situated in the Caribbean Sea with the eastern third occupied by the nation of Haiti.
The Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba and is made up of four mountain ranges, winding rivers, lakes, coastal lagoons, sugar plantations, and miles of white sand palm-fringed beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...