Jamaica Records 9% Increase in Winter Tourism
The number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays since the start of the winter season has risen by 9.2 per cent compared to the same period in 2009/2010 with 311,210 visitors stopping off at the Caribbean island.
The tourism industry has seen a 9.2% increase in the number of tourists booking Jamaica holidays since the beginning of the winter season.
The figures show the rise in comparison to the same period in 2009/2010, with this winter seeing 311,210 travellers taking holidays in Jamaica, up from last year’s 285,005 visitor arrivals.
The Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, spoke at a conference last week highlighting the recent rise in tourists booking holidays to Jamaica and the 7.5 per cent increase in earnings between December and February 2009/2010 of from US$194.6 million, to US$209 million during the same period this year.
Bartlett commented: “In terms of the out-turn for the month of January, for both cruise and stop-over arrivals, the total arrival for all visitors was 269,660, as against 248,230 last year, an 8.6 per cent increase.
“These performance figures are indicative of what the winter season is going to be-very strong - providing significant growth, as well as maintaining growth in employment in the sector.”
The figures showed that 173,337 arrivals stayed in Jamaica hotels and resorts (up by 7.6 per cent) and 96,323 cruise passengers (10.5 per cent) visited the Caribbean island during January 2011.
Bartlett added that in order to sustain the high numbers of tourist booking Jamaica holidays, the sector must strengthen its marketing, advertising and airlift strategies.
“We are finding that the airlines, especially out of North America, are beginning to look at pulling down their flights to the Caribbean, in favour of domestic routes,” he explained
He added that if the Jamaica tourism sector increased their advertising and promotional campaigns and developed partnerships with international airlines, the existing routes might remain in place.
Home to the Blue Mountains, white sand palm-fringed beaches, and one of the world’s largest natural harbours, Jamaica holidays is one of the most popular choices for travellers heading to the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...