Jamaica Records 9% Increase in Winter Tourism
The number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays since the start of the winter season has risen by 9.2 per cent compared to the same period in 2009/2010 with 311,210 visitors stopping off at the Caribbean island.
The tourism industry has seen a 9.2% increase in the number of tourists booking Jamaica holidays since the beginning of the winter season.
The figures show the rise in comparison to the same period in 2009/2010, with this winter seeing 311,210 travellers taking holidays in Jamaica, up from last year’s 285,005 visitor arrivals.
The Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, spoke at a conference last week highlighting the recent rise in tourists booking holidays to Jamaica and the 7.5 per cent increase in earnings between December and February 2009/2010 of from US$194.6 million, to US$209 million during the same period this year.
Bartlett commented: “In terms of the out-turn for the month of January, for both cruise and stop-over arrivals, the total arrival for all visitors was 269,660, as against 248,230 last year, an 8.6 per cent increase.
“These performance figures are indicative of what the winter season is going to be-very strong - providing significant growth, as well as maintaining growth in employment in the sector.”
The figures showed that 173,337 arrivals stayed in Jamaica hotels and resorts (up by 7.6 per cent) and 96,323 cruise passengers (10.5 per cent) visited the Caribbean island during January 2011.
Bartlett added that in order to sustain the high numbers of tourist booking Jamaica holidays, the sector must strengthen its marketing, advertising and airlift strategies.
“We are finding that the airlines, especially out of North America, are beginning to look at pulling down their flights to the Caribbean, in favour of domestic routes,” he explained
He added that if the Jamaica tourism sector increased their advertising and promotional campaigns and developed partnerships with international airlines, the existing routes might remain in place.
Home to the Blue Mountains, white sand palm-fringed beaches, and one of the world’s largest natural harbours, Jamaica holidays is one of the most popular choices for travellers heading to the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...