Jamaica Records 9% Increase in Winter Tourism
The number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays since the start of the winter season has risen by 9.2 per cent compared to the same period in 2009/2010 with 311,210 visitors stopping off at the Caribbean island.
The tourism industry has seen a 9.2% increase in the number of tourists booking Jamaica holidays since the beginning of the winter season.
The figures show the rise in comparison to the same period in 2009/2010, with this winter seeing 311,210 travellers taking holidays in Jamaica, up from last year’s 285,005 visitor arrivals.
The Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, spoke at a conference last week highlighting the recent rise in tourists booking holidays to Jamaica and the 7.5 per cent increase in earnings between December and February 2009/2010 of from US$194.6 million, to US$209 million during the same period this year.
Bartlett commented: “In terms of the out-turn for the month of January, for both cruise and stop-over arrivals, the total arrival for all visitors was 269,660, as against 248,230 last year, an 8.6 per cent increase.
“These performance figures are indicative of what the winter season is going to be-very strong - providing significant growth, as well as maintaining growth in employment in the sector.”
The figures showed that 173,337 arrivals stayed in Jamaica hotels and resorts (up by 7.6 per cent) and 96,323 cruise passengers (10.5 per cent) visited the Caribbean island during January 2011.
Bartlett added that in order to sustain the high numbers of tourist booking Jamaica holidays, the sector must strengthen its marketing, advertising and airlift strategies.
“We are finding that the airlines, especially out of North America, are beginning to look at pulling down their flights to the Caribbean, in favour of domestic routes,” he explained
He added that if the Jamaica tourism sector increased their advertising and promotional campaigns and developed partnerships with international airlines, the existing routes might remain in place.
Home to the Blue Mountains, white sand palm-fringed beaches, and one of the world’s largest natural harbours, Jamaica holidays is one of the most popular choices for travellers heading to the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...