British Airways Football Legends Tournament Confirmed for June 2011
Football enthusiasts will have the chance to see some of the finest football stars in action during their Barbados holidays as the British Airways Football Legends Tournament is scheduled to take place on 10th and 11th June 2011.
The British Airways Football Legends Tournament will be taking place at the home of West Indian cricket, the Kensington Oval on 10th and 11th June 2011, where travellers enjoying Barbados holidays will have the chance to witness the football stars in action.
The six-a-side competition will feature seven teams representing talented players from Premiership clubs and a Professional Footballers’ Association including ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool’s Steve McManaman, Manchester United’s Andy Cole, and Arsenal’s Ray Parlour and Paul Merson.
Tourists who are keen to meet the football legends whilst on their Barbados holidays will be able to see all the action at the Kensington Oval from just BD$20 (£7) per person per day.
The players are already keen to board their British Airways flights to the Caribbean to take part in this charity event where proceeds will be donated to the worthy National Sports Council Primary Schools Programme, which helps develop a healthy and united society through youth football in primary schools and participation across all sports.
Former Chelsea player and the current West Brom Manager, Di Matteo, commented: “It’s absolutely fantastic to think that we will be lining up with and against some of the great players from our own era and in such a wonderful location.”
Ex-England captain, Alan Shearer, is looking forward to taking part in the West Indies event and said: “You can never take that competitive edge away from a footballer but the respect and friendship among all the lads will no doubt produce some great entertainment for the crowd too.”
British Airways is the main sponsor of the two-day tournament along with the Professional Footballers’ Association, The Almond Resorts and Kensington Oval.
The idea of the tournament came from the Vice-President of the Barbados Tourism Authorities, Petra Roach, who explained: “The buzz of excitement about this event has already begun and we are thrilled to be working with the PFA on delivering this little slice of history to our great country.
“Football is huge in Barbados and to welcome such a fantastic line-up of Premier League heroes is an honour.”
Travellers are urged to book their accommodation at Barbados hotels and resorts soon though as the event is expected to attract large crowds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...