British Airways Football Legends Tournament Confirmed for June 2011
Football enthusiasts will have the chance to see some of the finest football stars in action during their Barbados holidays as the British Airways Football Legends Tournament is scheduled to take place on 10th and 11th June 2011.
The British Airways Football Legends Tournament will be taking place at the home of West Indian cricket, the Kensington Oval on 10th and 11th June 2011, where travellers enjoying Barbados holidays will have the chance to witness the football stars in action.
The six-a-side competition will feature seven teams representing talented players from Premiership clubs and a Professional Footballers’ Association including ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool’s Steve McManaman, Manchester United’s Andy Cole, and Arsenal’s Ray Parlour and Paul Merson.
Tourists who are keen to meet the football legends whilst on their Barbados holidays will be able to see all the action at the Kensington Oval from just BD$20 (£7) per person per day.
The players are already keen to board their British Airways flights to the Caribbean to take part in this charity event where proceeds will be donated to the worthy National Sports Council Primary Schools Programme, which helps develop a healthy and united society through youth football in primary schools and participation across all sports.
Former Chelsea player and the current West Brom Manager, Di Matteo, commented: “It’s absolutely fantastic to think that we will be lining up with and against some of the great players from our own era and in such a wonderful location.”
Ex-England captain, Alan Shearer, is looking forward to taking part in the West Indies event and said: “You can never take that competitive edge away from a footballer but the respect and friendship among all the lads will no doubt produce some great entertainment for the crowd too.”
British Airways is the main sponsor of the two-day tournament along with the Professional Footballers’ Association, The Almond Resorts and Kensington Oval.
The idea of the tournament came from the Vice-President of the Barbados Tourism Authorities, Petra Roach, who explained: “The buzz of excitement about this event has already begun and we are thrilled to be working with the PFA on delivering this little slice of history to our great country.
“Football is huge in Barbados and to welcome such a fantastic line-up of Premier League heroes is an honour.”
Travellers are urged to book their accommodation at Barbados hotels and resorts soon though as the event is expected to attract large crowds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...