British Airways Football Legends Tournament Confirmed for June 2011
Football enthusiasts will have the chance to see some of the finest football stars in action during their Barbados holidays as the British Airways Football Legends Tournament is scheduled to take place on 10th and 11th June 2011.
The British Airways Football Legends Tournament will be taking place at the home of West Indian cricket, the Kensington Oval on 10th and 11th June 2011, where travellers enjoying Barbados holidays will have the chance to witness the football stars in action.
The six-a-side competition will feature seven teams representing talented players from Premiership clubs and a Professional Footballers’ Association including ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool’s Steve McManaman, Manchester United’s Andy Cole, and Arsenal’s Ray Parlour and Paul Merson.
Tourists who are keen to meet the football legends whilst on their Barbados holidays will be able to see all the action at the Kensington Oval from just BD$20 (£7) per person per day.
The players are already keen to board their British Airways flights to the Caribbean to take part in this charity event where proceeds will be donated to the worthy National Sports Council Primary Schools Programme, which helps develop a healthy and united society through youth football in primary schools and participation across all sports.
Former Chelsea player and the current West Brom Manager, Di Matteo, commented: “It’s absolutely fantastic to think that we will be lining up with and against some of the great players from our own era and in such a wonderful location.”
Ex-England captain, Alan Shearer, is looking forward to taking part in the West Indies event and said: “You can never take that competitive edge away from a footballer but the respect and friendship among all the lads will no doubt produce some great entertainment for the crowd too.”
British Airways is the main sponsor of the two-day tournament along with the Professional Footballers’ Association, The Almond Resorts and Kensington Oval.
The idea of the tournament came from the Vice-President of the Barbados Tourism Authorities, Petra Roach, who explained: “The buzz of excitement about this event has already begun and we are thrilled to be working with the PFA on delivering this little slice of history to our great country.
“Football is huge in Barbados and to welcome such a fantastic line-up of Premier League heroes is an honour.”
Travellers are urged to book their accommodation at Barbados hotels and resorts soon though as the event is expected to attract large crowds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Free Sports including Golf at the 18 hole championship golf course at Le Touessrok Mauriitus
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bar inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resorts has stunning view of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 700-metres long white natural beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...