British Airways Football Legends Tournament Confirmed for June 2011
Football enthusiasts will have the chance to see some of the finest football stars in action during their Barbados holidays as the British Airways Football Legends Tournament is scheduled to take place on 10th and 11th June 2011.
The British Airways Football Legends Tournament will be taking place at the home of West Indian cricket, the Kensington Oval on 10th and 11th June 2011, where travellers enjoying Barbados holidays will have the chance to witness the football stars in action.
The six-a-side competition will feature seven teams representing talented players from Premiership clubs and a Professional Footballers’ Association including ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool’s Steve McManaman, Manchester United’s Andy Cole, and Arsenal’s Ray Parlour and Paul Merson.
Tourists who are keen to meet the football legends whilst on their Barbados holidays will be able to see all the action at the Kensington Oval from just BD$20 (£7) per person per day.
The players are already keen to board their British Airways flights to the Caribbean to take part in this charity event where proceeds will be donated to the worthy National Sports Council Primary Schools Programme, which helps develop a healthy and united society through youth football in primary schools and participation across all sports.
Former Chelsea player and the current West Brom Manager, Di Matteo, commented: “It’s absolutely fantastic to think that we will be lining up with and against some of the great players from our own era and in such a wonderful location.”
Ex-England captain, Alan Shearer, is looking forward to taking part in the West Indies event and said: “You can never take that competitive edge away from a footballer but the respect and friendship among all the lads will no doubt produce some great entertainment for the crowd too.”
British Airways is the main sponsor of the two-day tournament along with the Professional Footballers’ Association, The Almond Resorts and Kensington Oval.
The idea of the tournament came from the Vice-President of the Barbados Tourism Authorities, Petra Roach, who explained: “The buzz of excitement about this event has already begun and we are thrilled to be working with the PFA on delivering this little slice of history to our great country.
“Football is huge in Barbados and to welcome such a fantastic line-up of Premier League heroes is an honour.”
Travellers are urged to book their accommodation at Barbados hotels and resorts soon though as the event is expected to attract large crowds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...