British Airways Football Legends Tournament Confirmed for June 2011
Football enthusiasts will have the chance to see some of the finest football stars in action during their Barbados holidays as the British Airways Football Legends Tournament is scheduled to take place on 10th and 11th June 2011.
The British Airways Football Legends Tournament will be taking place at the home of West Indian cricket, the Kensington Oval on 10th and 11th June 2011, where travellers enjoying Barbados holidays will have the chance to witness the football stars in action.
The six-a-side competition will feature seven teams representing talented players from Premiership clubs and a Professional Footballers’ Association including ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool’s Steve McManaman, Manchester United’s Andy Cole, and Arsenal’s Ray Parlour and Paul Merson.
Tourists who are keen to meet the football legends whilst on their Barbados holidays will be able to see all the action at the Kensington Oval from just BD$20 (£7) per person per day.
The players are already keen to board their British Airways flights to the Caribbean to take part in this charity event where proceeds will be donated to the worthy National Sports Council Primary Schools Programme, which helps develop a healthy and united society through youth football in primary schools and participation across all sports.
Former Chelsea player and the current West Brom Manager, Di Matteo, commented: “It’s absolutely fantastic to think that we will be lining up with and against some of the great players from our own era and in such a wonderful location.”
Ex-England captain, Alan Shearer, is looking forward to taking part in the West Indies event and said: “You can never take that competitive edge away from a footballer but the respect and friendship among all the lads will no doubt produce some great entertainment for the crowd too.”
British Airways is the main sponsor of the two-day tournament along with the Professional Footballers’ Association, The Almond Resorts and Kensington Oval.
The idea of the tournament came from the Vice-President of the Barbados Tourism Authorities, Petra Roach, who explained: “The buzz of excitement about this event has already begun and we are thrilled to be working with the PFA on delivering this little slice of history to our great country.
“Football is huge in Barbados and to welcome such a fantastic line-up of Premier League heroes is an honour.”
Travellers are urged to book their accommodation at Barbados hotels and resorts soon though as the event is expected to attract large crowds.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...