Florida Airports prepare for increase in US based holiday makers to Cuba
Airports in Florida are seeking federal permission to provide direct flights for U.S travellers on Cuba holidays as the Obama administration recently eased restrictions on travel to the country for religious, academic, or cultural groups.
Airport officials in Key West, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando are preparing for the increase in travellers booking Cuba holidays by seeking federal permission to operate direct flights to the Caribbean island.
Florida airports are expected to see an increase in the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays as Obama's administrations eased the travel restrictions for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States.
The main goal of the airports is to provide flights to Cuba for all travellers if both countries lift all restrictions on the decades-long travel embargo for American holiday makers.
Director of Administration and Strategic Planning for the Broward County Aviation Department, Doug Webster, explained: "If relations change between the two countries, we'd certainly like to be well-positioned to take advantage. If we ever get to that point, the potential is big."
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and Tampa International airports have already approached the U.S Customs and Border Protection agency confirming that they would like to offer direct flights to and from Cuba. Orlando International Airport is still considering applying and Key West International Airport is preparing an application.
Phil Brown, Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, said: "We're looking toward the future, and there's a possibility of regime change in Cuba.
"What we've seen over the years is that once these changes occur there's a rapid need, and you're better off to be prepared rather than scramble after the fact to get ready."
Though the new flights might not affect the holiday industry in Florida itself, the increase in charter companies who will cater for the increase of students, researchers, artists, missionaries and Cuban-American travellers could create hundreds of new jobs in the area.
In 2009 Obama lifted restrictions on Cuban-American travellers returning to the island to visit family and friends has doubled and the latest rule change which took effect on 28th January is expected to increase the number of visitors to Cuba.
Cuba is expected to welcome an influx of American visitors as they stay in Cuba hotels and resorts and visit local historical attractions, sites and natural landscapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...