Florida Airports prepare for increase in US based holiday makers to Cuba
Airports in Florida are seeking federal permission to provide direct flights for U.S travellers on Cuba holidays as the Obama administration recently eased restrictions on travel to the country for religious, academic, or cultural groups.
Airport officials in Key West, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando are preparing for the increase in travellers booking Cuba holidays by seeking federal permission to operate direct flights to the Caribbean island.
Florida airports are expected to see an increase in the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays as Obama's administrations eased the travel restrictions for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States.
The main goal of the airports is to provide flights to Cuba for all travellers if both countries lift all restrictions on the decades-long travel embargo for American holiday makers.
Director of Administration and Strategic Planning for the Broward County Aviation Department, Doug Webster, explained: "If relations change between the two countries, we'd certainly like to be well-positioned to take advantage. If we ever get to that point, the potential is big."
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and Tampa International airports have already approached the U.S Customs and Border Protection agency confirming that they would like to offer direct flights to and from Cuba. Orlando International Airport is still considering applying and Key West International Airport is preparing an application.
Phil Brown, Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, said: "We're looking toward the future, and there's a possibility of regime change in Cuba.
"What we've seen over the years is that once these changes occur there's a rapid need, and you're better off to be prepared rather than scramble after the fact to get ready."
Though the new flights might not affect the holiday industry in Florida itself, the increase in charter companies who will cater for the increase of students, researchers, artists, missionaries and Cuban-American travellers could create hundreds of new jobs in the area.
In 2009 Obama lifted restrictions on Cuban-American travellers returning to the island to visit family and friends has doubled and the latest rule change which took effect on 28th January is expected to increase the number of visitors to Cuba.
Cuba is expected to welcome an influx of American visitors as they stay in Cuba hotels and resorts and visit local historical attractions, sites and natural landscapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...