Florida Airports prepare for increase in US based holiday makers to Cuba
Airports in Florida are seeking federal permission to provide direct flights for U.S travellers on Cuba holidays as the Obama administration recently eased restrictions on travel to the country for religious, academic, or cultural groups.
Airport officials in Key West, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando are preparing for the increase in travellers booking Cuba holidays by seeking federal permission to operate direct flights to the Caribbean island.
Florida airports are expected to see an increase in the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays as Obama's administrations eased the travel restrictions for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States.
The main goal of the airports is to provide flights to Cuba for all travellers if both countries lift all restrictions on the decades-long travel embargo for American holiday makers.
Director of Administration and Strategic Planning for the Broward County Aviation Department, Doug Webster, explained: "If relations change between the two countries, we'd certainly like to be well-positioned to take advantage. If we ever get to that point, the potential is big."
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and Tampa International airports have already approached the U.S Customs and Border Protection agency confirming that they would like to offer direct flights to and from Cuba. Orlando International Airport is still considering applying and Key West International Airport is preparing an application.
Phil Brown, Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, said: "We're looking toward the future, and there's a possibility of regime change in Cuba.
"What we've seen over the years is that once these changes occur there's a rapid need, and you're better off to be prepared rather than scramble after the fact to get ready."
Though the new flights might not affect the holiday industry in Florida itself, the increase in charter companies who will cater for the increase of students, researchers, artists, missionaries and Cuban-American travellers could create hundreds of new jobs in the area.
In 2009 Obama lifted restrictions on Cuban-American travellers returning to the island to visit family and friends has doubled and the latest rule change which took effect on 28th January is expected to increase the number of visitors to Cuba.
Cuba is expected to welcome an influx of American visitors as they stay in Cuba hotels and resorts and visit local historical attractions, sites and natural landscapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
The Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is the perfect place to feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, and will...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Get away to one of Cuba's best kept secrets for a dream holiday at Club Amigo Atlantico. Guardalavaca is known to host...