Florida Airports prepare for increase in US based holiday makers to Cuba
Airports in Florida are seeking federal permission to provide direct flights for U.S travellers on Cuba holidays as the Obama administration recently eased restrictions on travel to the country for religious, academic, or cultural groups.
Airport officials in Key West, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando are preparing for the increase in travellers booking Cuba holidays by seeking federal permission to operate direct flights to the Caribbean island.
Florida airports are expected to see an increase in the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays as Obama's administrations eased the travel restrictions for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States.
The main goal of the airports is to provide flights to Cuba for all travellers if both countries lift all restrictions on the decades-long travel embargo for American holiday makers.
Director of Administration and Strategic Planning for the Broward County Aviation Department, Doug Webster, explained: "If relations change between the two countries, we'd certainly like to be well-positioned to take advantage. If we ever get to that point, the potential is big."
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood and Tampa International airports have already approached the U.S Customs and Border Protection agency confirming that they would like to offer direct flights to and from Cuba. Orlando International Airport is still considering applying and Key West International Airport is preparing an application.
Phil Brown, Executive Director of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, said: "We're looking toward the future, and there's a possibility of regime change in Cuba.
"What we've seen over the years is that once these changes occur there's a rapid need, and you're better off to be prepared rather than scramble after the fact to get ready."
Though the new flights might not affect the holiday industry in Florida itself, the increase in charter companies who will cater for the increase of students, researchers, artists, missionaries and Cuban-American travellers could create hundreds of new jobs in the area.
In 2009 Obama lifted restrictions on Cuban-American travellers returning to the island to visit family and friends has doubled and the latest rule change which took effect on 28th January is expected to increase the number of visitors to Cuba.
Cuba is expected to welcome an influx of American visitors as they stay in Cuba hotels and resorts and visit local historical attractions, sites and natural landscapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...