Middle East and Africa hotel occupancy improves while 2010 finishes
The Middle East and Africa has seen significant improvements in its hotel occupancy levels during November 2010 as the number of travellers booking United Arab Emirates and Egypt holidays increases.
November 2010 has seen a significant increase in hotel occupancy levels across the Middle East and Africa region, with the number of travellers booking Egypt holidays coming out on top.
According to data compiled by STR Global, the Middle East and Africa region saw a 69.8 percent increase in hotel occupancy overall and revenue per room saw a 5.5 percent increase.
Managing Director of STR Global, Elizabeth Randall, said: "The Middle East/Africa region hasn't seen as much recovery as the other regions.
"New room stock entering the markets across the Middle East is the main stumbling block to a higher growth rate. Whilst we saw only limited year-to-date improvements in all key performance indicators, the region achieved a higher average rate by US$0.39 compared to year-to-date 2008. Occupancy, however, is 8.4 percentage points behind year-to-date 2008".
An increase was also seen in Abu Dhabi holidays and hotels experienced the largest occupancy increase, rising 33.6 percent to 76.0 percent during November.
Despite the overall increase in the Middle East region, occupancy levels and revenue dropped across Dubai hotels. Egypt holidays still continue to be one of the most popular choices for travellers despite a series of recent shark attacks in the Sharm el Sheikh resort which left four tourists injured and one German tourist dead earlier this month.
The Red Sea resort is urging travellers from all over the world to continue booking their holidays to the beautiful region and officials and environmentalists have been working closely together to understand why these rare attacks occurred. Beaches are now once again open to the public and the government and tourism officials have announced that business is open as usual.
The sharks attacked a German female tourist whilst she was snorkeling in the Sharm el Sheikh resort at the beginning of December. George Burgess, expert in Shark attacks, believe that the attacks could be down to a number of reasons including the recent disposal of sheep carcasses into the ocean by an Australian ship, which brought the sharks into shallow waters. Mr. Burgess believes the most obvious reason to him is that the Great White shark involved was injured and therefore not able to hunt its normal pray.
"It is something we are looking at here," Mr. Burgess explained. "Was this just a shark that made a couple of errors of judgment or decided that humans were ok, or was it an act of desperation by a shark trying to make a living in order to survive?"
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Middle East Browse all
For the ultimate golf experience in Abu Dhabi, stay at a luxurious hotel with all the trimmings that sits right next to a championship golf course
- Upgrade and experience Ferrari World - The largest indoor and first theme park on Yas Island
- Taka advantage of the golf at the 18-Hole championship Yas Links Golf Course
- A few minutes' walk from the exciting Yas Waterworld & Yas Island Beach
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Located on the man-made island of Al Marjan, Rixos Bab Al Bahr lies near Ras Al Khaimah. Everything from tourist...
Discover the beauty of Ras al Khaimah during your stay at the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Resort and Spa Marjan...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Regarded as one of Dubai's most luxury hotels, Marina View Apartments is ideally located in the centre of Dubai's...