Barbados holidays ranked in Top Ten Ethical Travel Destinations
The Ethical Traveler magazine has released its annual list of the best ethical destination in the world, listing Barbados holidays in the top ten hotspots for the first time along with Dominica, Latvia, Costa Rica, Palau and Uruguay.
Just very recently Barbados holidays have been ranked among the top ten ethical destinations in the world for the first time after Ethical Traveler magazine releases its annual list.
The list ranked Argentina, Chile, Poland and Lithuania among the top ten once again for the second year in a row and new destinations including Costa Rica, Dominica, Palau, Latvia and Uruguay made it to the top ten for the first time.
Ethical Traveler magazine concentrates its content on providing travellers with information on how they can travel to destinations across the world without having an impact on the environment. The annual list is released to help inspire travellers to visit new countries which make efforts to balance environmental issues with sustainable tourism.
The list was established after the magazine conducted a study which researched developing nations across the globe and focused on Environmental Protection, Social Welfare and Human Rights.
This year saw six new destinations added to the list encouraging travellers to book Dominica, Latvia, Uruguay, Palau, Costa Rica and Barbados holidays.
Travellers can enjoy a wide range of activities during Costa Rica holidays as the Central American country is one of the greenest countries in the world. Home to thriving rainforests, jungles, pristine beaches, lakes, volcanoes, numerous national parks, and protected areas, Costa Rica offers excellent sport options such as surfing, hiking, abseiling, scuba diving, and ocean fishing.
The Caribbean island of Barbados received the ranking as it makes efforts to provide "greener" Barbados hotels and for being open to changing existing practices.
The Ethical Traveler said:
"Dominica was the recipient of a Green Globe for sustainable ecotourism. We also applaud Barbados for organizing the Caribbean Green Economic Conference for 2011, to discuss opportunities and challenges to developing a green economy in the region."
The editorial recognised that both Caribbean countries were not without faults.
"In Barbados and Dominica, homosexuality remains criminalized. Normally this is a deal-breaker for us, but the laws do not appear to be zealously enforced. We sincerely hope that our vote of confidence will persuade these country's leaders to repeal these backward laws.
"By visiting the countries mentioned here, we 'vote with our wings' sending a signal that travelers are aware of where their money is going, and willing to support nations that care about the environment, human rights, and the global community."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...