Barbados holidays ranked in Top Ten Ethical Travel Destinations
The Ethical Traveler magazine has released its annual list of the best ethical destination in the world, listing Barbados holidays in the top ten hotspots for the first time along with Dominica, Latvia, Costa Rica, Palau and Uruguay.
Just very recently Barbados holidays have been ranked among the top ten ethical destinations in the world for the first time after Ethical Traveler magazine releases its annual list.
The list ranked Argentina, Chile, Poland and Lithuania among the top ten once again for the second year in a row and new destinations including Costa Rica, Dominica, Palau, Latvia and Uruguay made it to the top ten for the first time.
Ethical Traveler magazine concentrates its content on providing travellers with information on how they can travel to destinations across the world without having an impact on the environment. The annual list is released to help inspire travellers to visit new countries which make efforts to balance environmental issues with sustainable tourism.
The list was established after the magazine conducted a study which researched developing nations across the globe and focused on Environmental Protection, Social Welfare and Human Rights.
This year saw six new destinations added to the list encouraging travellers to book Dominica, Latvia, Uruguay, Palau, Costa Rica and Barbados holidays.
Travellers can enjoy a wide range of activities during Costa Rica holidays as the Central American country is one of the greenest countries in the world. Home to thriving rainforests, jungles, pristine beaches, lakes, volcanoes, numerous national parks, and protected areas, Costa Rica offers excellent sport options such as surfing, hiking, abseiling, scuba diving, and ocean fishing.
The Caribbean island of Barbados received the ranking as it makes efforts to provide "greener" Barbados hotels and for being open to changing existing practices.
The Ethical Traveler said:
"Dominica was the recipient of a Green Globe for sustainable ecotourism. We also applaud Barbados for organizing the Caribbean Green Economic Conference for 2011, to discuss opportunities and challenges to developing a green economy in the region."
The editorial recognised that both Caribbean countries were not without faults.
"In Barbados and Dominica, homosexuality remains criminalized. Normally this is a deal-breaker for us, but the laws do not appear to be zealously enforced. We sincerely hope that our vote of confidence will persuade these country's leaders to repeal these backward laws.
"By visiting the countries mentioned here, we 'vote with our wings' sending a signal that travelers are aware of where their money is going, and willing to support nations that care about the environment, human rights, and the global community."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south cost of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Make the most of a good value for money deal, at a family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , a fashionable and lively strip.
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travelers' Choice Award
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Rostrevor hotel has an easy access to shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
Exclusive added values at the Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, set on the trendy South Coast of Barbados
Relax and enjoy great nightlife on the south coast, stay in a great hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach, where you can choose hassle free accommodation
- Book today and receive a free upgrade to the Junior Suite, free Breakfast and a bottle of Mount Gay Rum
- All the rooms are comfortable and come equipped with air conditioning, daily maid service and a balcony or patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars and night clubs.
Enjoy this all-suite resort's warm service and superb facilities on a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados, the gem of the Caribbean
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Great family resort with excellent kids club and educational marine programme
- Enjoy three onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...