Big increase in number of U.S. travellers taking Cuba holidays in 2010
Over 1000 travellers from the United States are enjoying Cuba holidays every day since President, Barack Obama lifted the ban on Cuban-Americans visiting their families and homes and loosened restrictions on travel for professionals and academics.
The number of U.S travellers taking Cuba holidays has significantly increased this year, with 1000 travellers visiting the Caribbean region every day, thanks to the loosened restrictions of a 50 year embargo.
In 2009 President Barack Obama lifted restrictions on Cuba-Americans visiting their families and homes and travellers who were visiting the region for cultural, academic, religious and other professional reasons.
A U.S trade embargo has been in place for nearly fifty years which forbids travellers from the United States from visiting the region or taking holidays in Cuba. Though the restrictions were loosened last year by the President’s administration, a full decision on lifting the ban completely has yet to be passed by U.S Congress, and looks unlikely to change anytime in the near future.
Charter companies from the United States believe that the increase in travellers, most of who are of Cuban origin, has been down to the lifted restrictions.
President of Marazul Charters, Armando Garcia, said: "There is a huge increase this year compared with 2009. Through October around 265,000 have travelled. November and December are the peak months, so we expect 330,000 will go to Cuba on direct flights from the United States this year."
Because there are no regular scheduled flights to Cuba from the United States, despite being just an hour apart form each other, many of the travellers have been arriving on their Cuba holidays or official travel via Mexico and the Bahamas in attempts to get around the travel ban and because it is a more affordable route.
A source from the U.S State Department said: "We estimate the total (visitors from the U.S. to Cuba) for the year will be more than 400,000."
Reports show that the number of travellers visiting Cuba in 2009 was 2.4 million, with the largest number of tourists arriving from Canada, followed by Great Britain and Spain.
Havana Airport receives flights from the U.S and the expansions to the airport terminal are expected to be completed by Christmas allowing double capacity.
Many local businesses are welcoming the boost in tourist arrivals, particularly Cuba hotels that are benefiting from the increase in demand for guests rooms.
Protestors and supports of the travel embargo are optimistic that the Obama’s administration will loosen remaining restrictions in place, opening up the gateway for sports, cultural, artistic, music and religious events.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...