Big increase in number of U.S. travellers taking Cuba holidays in 2010
Over 1000 travellers from the United States are enjoying Cuba holidays every day since President, Barack Obama lifted the ban on Cuban-Americans visiting their families and homes and loosened restrictions on travel for professionals and academics.
The number of U.S travellers taking Cuba holidays has significantly increased this year, with 1000 travellers visiting the Caribbean region every day, thanks to the loosened restrictions of a 50 year embargo.
In 2009 President Barack Obama lifted restrictions on Cuba-Americans visiting their families and homes and travellers who were visiting the region for cultural, academic, religious and other professional reasons.
A U.S trade embargo has been in place for nearly fifty years which forbids travellers from the United States from visiting the region or taking holidays in Cuba. Though the restrictions were loosened last year by the President’s administration, a full decision on lifting the ban completely has yet to be passed by U.S Congress, and looks unlikely to change anytime in the near future.
Charter companies from the United States believe that the increase in travellers, most of who are of Cuban origin, has been down to the lifted restrictions.
President of Marazul Charters, Armando Garcia, said: "There is a huge increase this year compared with 2009. Through October around 265,000 have travelled. November and December are the peak months, so we expect 330,000 will go to Cuba on direct flights from the United States this year."
Because there are no regular scheduled flights to Cuba from the United States, despite being just an hour apart form each other, many of the travellers have been arriving on their Cuba holidays or official travel via Mexico and the Bahamas in attempts to get around the travel ban and because it is a more affordable route.
A source from the U.S State Department said: "We estimate the total (visitors from the U.S. to Cuba) for the year will be more than 400,000."
Reports show that the number of travellers visiting Cuba in 2009 was 2.4 million, with the largest number of tourists arriving from Canada, followed by Great Britain and Spain.
Havana Airport receives flights from the U.S and the expansions to the airport terminal are expected to be completed by Christmas allowing double capacity.
Many local businesses are welcoming the boost in tourist arrivals, particularly Cuba hotels that are benefiting from the increase in demand for guests rooms.
Protestors and supports of the travel embargo are optimistic that the Obama’s administration will loosen remaining restrictions in place, opening up the gateway for sports, cultural, artistic, music and religious events.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...