Barbados holidays enjoying visitor boom
Pushing through the hard economic times and the harsh general global climate that has hit hard the Caribbean holiday industry, Barbados is celebrating the boost to the amount o tourists that have been arriving to the island to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
Barbados holidays have enjoyed popularity recently as the tourism industry has experienced a “good year” as far as arrival numbers are concerned, despite the many challenges the industry faced.
That’s the report card given by chairman of the Barbados Tourism Authority (BTA),âRalph Taylor, who said that 15 000 more long-stay visitors had travelled to the island to enjoy holidays in Barbados up to the end of October.
“That represents a 3.8 per cent increase over the corresponding period for 2009 and with the worldwide global economic recession, this must be considered a “good year”, - Taylor told the MIDWEEK NATION.
It was also revealed that the overall number of longstay visitors rose from 418 578 to 434 316. “This increase was largely as a result of the measures we have put in place, including the sourcing of increased airlift, including JetBlue, the second Condor and the tapping into the Brazilian market,” Taylor explained.
Additionally, he said the Canadian market had performed “tremendously well”, recording a 23 per cent increase in arrivals, moving from 47 694 between December 2008 and the end of October 2009, to 58 612 for the corresponding period ending in October 2010.
The United States market also showed a significant 15 % increase from 95 533 to 110 300. “We had the low cost WestJet operating out of Canada seven days a week, and we also advertised heavily in the North American market,” the BTA chairman said in the telephone interview.
He also said there were encouraging signs out of Europe although the main British market did show a decline of 6.6 per cent, falling from 156 316 longstay visitors to 145 961. “I would say that overall we have weathered the storm well, particularly when matched against other popular Caribbean destinations,” Taylor said.
He expected even bigger growth in the upcoming year – probably greater than five per cent – as the BTA prepared to launch another aggressive multimillion dollar marketing campaign. Among other projects is an enhanced “friends and family programme” in which those visitors who have been travelling to the island for several years would be encouraged to bring along family and friends.
There will also be greater emphasis on sports tourism from hockey and cricket to dominoes and polo, as well as watersports. Taylor also noted that last month’s Food, Rum And Wine Festival was also a big success in its first year, and should be even bigger next year.
“We have been holding meetings with all of our tourism partners, and I feel satisfied that with our enhanced programme, we can expect an even better 2010-2011 tourism year,” Taylor said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Taste delicious local cuisine at the poolside courtyard bistro
- All the rooms are comfortable and come equipped with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Savings of up to £300 per person when booking with The Holiday Place
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Enjoy the welcoming hospitality that's uniquely Bajan at Sea Breeze Beach House by Ocean Hotels, close to the nightlife of Oistins and St Lawrence Gap.
- Brilliant Barbados: Kids (up to 16 years old) stay and play free when accompanied by 1 or 2 paying adults
- Beautiful, Intimate and Boutique Beachfront property that is perfect for weddings
- All-inclusive resort - Dine at six fabulous restaurants serving a variety of cuisines, from beach snacks to fine dining
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...