Increase in Middle East travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays
As the number of Arab travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays increases, the island nation is emerging as a tourism hotspot for travellers from all over the world as they flock to the beautiful country for its thriving national parks and pristine beaches.
New development projects, hotel refurbishments, and the addition of a new airport in the south are just a few reasons why Sri Lanka is emerging as a tourism hotspot attracting travellers from all over the world including a rise in travellers from Europe and the Middle East taking Sri Lanka holidays.
According to Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau's (SLTPB) Middle East Office, the number of Middle East travellers visiting the island nation increased by 58 per cent during the first ten months of 2010.
Ms. Heba Al Mansoori, Middle East Director of the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau, said: "Sri Lanka is witnessing a dramatic rise in visitors which in turn has enabled vast development of Sri Lanka's existing tourism infrastructure with new hotels and better road networks currently underway island-wide to cope with the destinations increasing popularity."
Many new Sri Lanka hotels are under development, expansion or refurbishment to keep up with the growing demand of rooms for visitors to the island. Al Mansoori added: "All this will help accommodate the exponential increase in tourist arrivals."
The eastern side of the island is undergoing major developments to attract visitors on Sri Lanka holidays in areas including Pasikudah, Kucheveli, and Kalpitiya. The new hotel projects are expected to be completed by in 2011 and 2012 with the addition of 1,000 rooms.
A new airport is scheduled to open soon in the south of the county as well as a new port which will help with the increasing flow of new visitors.
The Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau launched its office in Dubai in May 2008 to help promote the country to the Middle Eastern travellers and strengthen travel trade between the two regions.
Since its opening, the SLTPB has held exhibitions, presentations, road shows, marketing visits, public relations and brochure distribution to help promote Sri Lanka as a tourist destination.
The island nation offers an abundance of activities including Sri Lanka tours of national parks or wildlife reserves, trips to culture and heritage sites, shopping excursions, boat trips, and numerous breathtaking beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime, with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...