Countries in the Caribbean holidays market receive millions in insurance payouts due to Hurricane Thomas
The much-needed relief for Caribbean countries recently affected by the Hurricane Thomas came at the hands of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility who paid out large amounts to the island in excess of US $550 million.
Despite the destruction and unsettled environment that the recent Hurricane Thomas provoked on the Caribbean holidays industry, some good compensation is on the way for the Caribbean countries affected. The Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF) on Wednesday said it had completed insurance payments for the damages caused Barbados holidays, St Lucia holidays and St Vincent and the Grenadines holidays following the passage of Hurricane Tomas late last month.
The CCRIF revealed during a press release that it had provided half of the funds owed to the three Caribbean islands affected on 7th November, seven days after the hurricane that caused widespread damage to St Lucia holidays and St Vincent holidays, where the authorities put the cost in excess of US$550 million.
The not-for-profit risk pooling facility, owned, operated by Caribbean governments and looking after the pristine conservation of Caribbean holidays, said that it has now paid Barbados US$8.3 million, St Lucia US$3.2 million and St Vincent and the Grenadines US$1.09 million.
"These countries -- along with 13 other Caribbean nations -- have had catastrophe insurance for hurricanes and the earthquakes with CCRIF since the inception of the Facility in 2007," said CCRIF, which was formed at the request of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), which wanted a cost-effective risk transfer programme for member governments.
CCRIF was developed through funding from the Japanese government and was capitalised through contributions to a multi-donor Trust Fund by the government of Canada, the European Union, the World Bank and the governments of Ireland and Bermuda, as well as through membership fees paid by participating governments.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...