Countries in the Caribbean holidays market receive millions in insurance payouts due to Hurricane Thomas
The much-needed relief for Caribbean countries recently affected by the Hurricane Thomas came at the hands of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility who paid out large amounts to the island in excess of US $550 million.
Despite the destruction and unsettled environment that the recent Hurricane Thomas provoked on the Caribbean holidays industry, some good compensation is on the way for the Caribbean countries affected. The Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF) on Wednesday said it had completed insurance payments for the damages caused Barbados holidays, St Lucia holidays and St Vincent and the Grenadines holidays following the passage of Hurricane Tomas late last month.
The CCRIF revealed during a press release that it had provided half of the funds owed to the three Caribbean islands affected on 7th November, seven days after the hurricane that caused widespread damage to St Lucia holidays and St Vincent holidays, where the authorities put the cost in excess of US$550 million.
The not-for-profit risk pooling facility, owned, operated by Caribbean governments and looking after the pristine conservation of Caribbean holidays, said that it has now paid Barbados US$8.3 million, St Lucia US$3.2 million and St Vincent and the Grenadines US$1.09 million.
"These countries -- along with 13 other Caribbean nations -- have had catastrophe insurance for hurricanes and the earthquakes with CCRIF since the inception of the Facility in 2007," said CCRIF, which was formed at the request of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), which wanted a cost-effective risk transfer programme for member governments.
CCRIF was developed through funding from the Japanese government and was capitalised through contributions to a multi-donor Trust Fund by the government of Canada, the European Union, the World Bank and the governments of Ireland and Bermuda, as well as through membership fees paid by participating governments.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...