Countries in the Caribbean holidays market receive millions in insurance payouts due to Hurricane Thomas
The much-needed relief for Caribbean countries recently affected by the Hurricane Thomas came at the hands of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility who paid out large amounts to the island in excess of US $550 million.
Despite the destruction and unsettled environment that the recent Hurricane Thomas provoked on the Caribbean holidays industry, some good compensation is on the way for the Caribbean countries affected. The Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF) on Wednesday said it had completed insurance payments for the damages caused Barbados holidays, St Lucia holidays and St Vincent and the Grenadines holidays following the passage of Hurricane Tomas late last month.
The CCRIF revealed during a press release that it had provided half of the funds owed to the three Caribbean islands affected on 7th November, seven days after the hurricane that caused widespread damage to St Lucia holidays and St Vincent holidays, where the authorities put the cost in excess of US$550 million.
The not-for-profit risk pooling facility, owned, operated by Caribbean governments and looking after the pristine conservation of Caribbean holidays, said that it has now paid Barbados US$8.3 million, St Lucia US$3.2 million and St Vincent and the Grenadines US$1.09 million.
"These countries -- along with 13 other Caribbean nations -- have had catastrophe insurance for hurricanes and the earthquakes with CCRIF since the inception of the Facility in 2007," said CCRIF, which was formed at the request of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), which wanted a cost-effective risk transfer programme for member governments.
CCRIF was developed through funding from the Japanese government and was capitalised through contributions to a multi-donor Trust Fund by the government of Canada, the European Union, the World Bank and the governments of Ireland and Bermuda, as well as through membership fees paid by participating governments.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...