Countries in the Caribbean holidays market receive millions in insurance payouts due to Hurricane Thomas
The much-needed relief for Caribbean countries recently affected by the Hurricane Thomas came at the hands of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility who paid out large amounts to the island in excess of US $550 million.
Despite the destruction and unsettled environment that the recent Hurricane Thomas provoked on the Caribbean holidays industry, some good compensation is on the way for the Caribbean countries affected. The Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF) on Wednesday said it had completed insurance payments for the damages caused Barbados holidays, St Lucia holidays and St Vincent and the Grenadines holidays following the passage of Hurricane Tomas late last month.
The CCRIF revealed during a press release that it had provided half of the funds owed to the three Caribbean islands affected on 7th November, seven days after the hurricane that caused widespread damage to St Lucia holidays and St Vincent holidays, where the authorities put the cost in excess of US$550 million.
The not-for-profit risk pooling facility, owned, operated by Caribbean governments and looking after the pristine conservation of Caribbean holidays, said that it has now paid Barbados US$8.3 million, St Lucia US$3.2 million and St Vincent and the Grenadines US$1.09 million.
"These countries -- along with 13 other Caribbean nations -- have had catastrophe insurance for hurricanes and the earthquakes with CCRIF since the inception of the Facility in 2007," said CCRIF, which was formed at the request of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), which wanted a cost-effective risk transfer programme for member governments.
CCRIF was developed through funding from the Japanese government and was capitalised through contributions to a multi-donor Trust Fund by the government of Canada, the European Union, the World Bank and the governments of Ireland and Bermuda, as well as through membership fees paid by participating governments.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Adults Only All Inclusive
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...